Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visor Mirror Light Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love love the car but wish it had some improvements including visor mirror lights which my wife reminds me of EVERY time we go out..she has them on her Honda Odyssey...ouch! Was hoping for a Tesla solution but now it looks like no go esp. as recent cars don't have the 12 v receptacle in the center roof panel. Rick (aka artsci) inspired me with his lighted T project to think of a solution. I did some basic web research and design. With Rick's input, guidance and introduction to the amazing team at Oznium, we (Rick and I) are now in design mode for a cost effective solution for all Tesla owners who desire this option. Current technology makes this possible but the biggest challenge is making it fit under the visor cover....we are working on feasibility testing before manufacturing/marketing of the solution and I would welcome any comments/suggestion. Also, please let us know if anyone has any experience removing the mirror assembly from the visor.

Pics of the inspiration and project development are below. The final product will ideally:

1. Be an easy DIY solution involving attachment of the battery operated lights to the mirror with double sided tape
2. Be activated with a spring operated switch upon opening of the mirror cover
3. Have easily replaceable batteries CR2032
4. Allow the entire system to be removed/returned to stock if desired
5. Be maintenance free and cost-effective
6. Allow users to choose 1 or 2 light panels for each mirror

Disk Lights.jpg
NK Design.jpg
Oznium Design 1.jpg
Oznium Design 2.jpg
Oznium Design 3.jpg
Oznium Design 4.jpg

Let us know if there is any interest and what pricepoint would make this attractive.....we are thinking $100/set depending on production costs. Look forward to everyones input...

Personally, I don't like the idea of it using batteries. First, the required battery holder makes the unit thicker, even using CR2032 batteries. Second, per your drawing, there would be 4 batteries per visor, meaning you would periodically have to replace 8 batteries. I would like the mirrors to be illuminated, but my preference would be for something that is very, very small, and hardwired into the car.

Appreciate the input-unlikely something hardwired is coming down the pipeline from Tesla, otherwise, price for install would most likely be high. Part of the design process is to make sure it fits within the visor cover to look stock....the LED will likely be a 3V so the 2 battery design is for longer life but we may go to 1 battery on each side. Can't imagine you would be switching batteries frequently as the mirror is used so sporadically for a short time and the LED are low energy...again, appreciate your input, looking to tweak the product based on such remarks......

Dborn
Would certainly not like to reinvent the wheel unless needed....would love to use a preexisting product but none, according my search would work......a DIY solution hardwiring into the car would involve major alteration in the visor design and thus cost. In addition, most preexisting lights are "cut" into the visor and the Tesla mirror is not standard size and I am reluctant to cut in...if you have a solution which does not need to reinvent the wheel, please share as I would be very much interested to explore further and purchase...hopefully this post will encourage exchange of ideas and posts/links I may have missed...thanks!

Dborn
Would certainly not like to reinvent the wheel unless needed....would love to use a preexisting product but none, according my search would work......a DIY solution hardwiring into the car would involve major alteration in the visor design and thus cost. In addition, most preexisting lights are "cut" into the visor and the Tesla mirror is not standard size and I am reluctant to cut in...if you have a solution which does not need to reinvent the wheel, please share as I would be very much interested to explore further and purchase...hopefully this post will encourage exchange of ideas and posts/links I may have missed...thanks!

I'm with nkohlimd on this. A hardwired set up would make installation much more complicated and really not add much value. I'm sure Oznium will come up with an aesthetically pleasing solution. When we receive the beta nkohlimd is going to install it and leave it turned on until the batteries run out. That way we'll be able to project battery durability. My guess is that for the kind of use this will get 6-12 months or more is the likely battery life.

Brilliant!! (...sorry, no pun intended). Sign me up! I assume that 1 LED per side of each mirror would be way bright enough. I agree that trying to fish a power cable through the visor mounting arm and then finding power will be more challenging (even for lucky folks like me with 12V power at the microphone grille). I too believe that a few minutes of use a few times a week will give months of battery life.

Can you get prototypes done without up front $$? I would be willing to 'crowdfund' now if appropriate.

Thanks.

JPP
thanks so much.....still in early design phase but Rick and I hope to bring everyone a solution that is practical, useful, and cost-effective......stay tuned. The guys at Oznium work fast and I am sending them a visor on Tues to begin design and prototype. Hopefully will have an update with 2-3 weeks.

You probably have the engineering/ design issues figured out, but I would note that whatever spring loaded SPST switch you choose to use must have a long throw to accommodate any variability in the depth of the cover, mounting of the mirror, thickness of the double stick tape on the back, etc. Better that the 'button' sticks out a lot when open, then be too short to securely and repeatedly disconnect power.

Are you replacing the thing they call a mirror? it is absolutely horrible!~ even if it is lit, you still can't really use it. Funhouse mirror

unless they changed the mirror at some point?

Yesterday my wife said she was going to make a 'real' mirror for my car. I pictured a design of etched and high polished silver but she said that you can make mirrors out of obsidian :confused: cool. Don't think that would be the best application for it though.

side note about lighting - Costco was/is selling sylvania 12V multi color Led light strips w/ remote and I bought a few sets thinking about the S. Under car lighting anyone?

Last edited: