Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I made it to Niagara Falls......Barely.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, made it to Niagara falls yesterday, barely. The whole supercharger route worked flawlessly. I was even able to SKIP the Angola Supercharger (even with my 60kW battery). To do that and make it to Maumee/Toledo, I just had to slow down to 60 the last 15 miles of that stretch, from the 75 we were cruising at.

Charged up in Cleveland, did a full 100% range charge, and good thing I did. Going from Cleveland to Niagara Falls was only about 216 miles, slightly outside my normal charge range (209 miles is my rated). I figured i'd only need to stop at a level 2 for about a hour. Boy was I wrong. Halfway point, was getting really sleepy, so I stopped off at Erie, and found a BMW dealership that just got the top of the line Chargepoint station installed last week for their shipment of i3's that are coming (very nice people at the dealership, I was the first one to charge their! and they were all very curious about the model s. Most of the comments I heard are "This blows the i3 away" and wow, I didn't think it was this good!").
Charged for 2 hours, got what I thought was enough to make it.

One thing I did not consider, was the ELEVATION CHANGE, and extreme winds. It's almost all UP HILL for the 200 mile stretch. Rolled into Buffalo with CHARGE NOW on my screen. was lucky enough to limp it to a Kohl's Department store, that had a 30 amp Chargepoint at 208v in their parking lot. So while we were charging, Grannie was shopping (oh boy...).
Spent almost 2 hours charging. Was up to 20 miles rated, and only had 15 miles left to the hotel (on the canadian side). So limped er along at 50mph just to be safe.
In the high winds though, the range was dropping quickly. Realised I wouldnt have enough to make it. So we stopped off again. Right at the bridge between US and Canada, their was 2 chargepoints in the parking lot at the Hydro plants tourist lot. I will be returning their Monday to shoot documentary video. Spent about 40 minutes their. Horrible charger run by national electric power co. It was 32 amp, BUT, the voltage drop brought it down to 190-191v. Thus TRIPPING THE SAFETY on the cars charging, reducing current by 25%, then, another 25%, so now it was charging at 16 amps at 191v.......... that was hell. I HATE THIS NEW FIRMWARE! and YES, the chargepoint was installed correctly, just on a VERY long wiring run. Ended up with 6 miles extra after 45 minutes. Continued over the border, and limped er along.
Arrived at the hotel (Super 8) with 4 miles left, which dropped to 3 by the time we were finished checking in.

Now, I had asked about being able to plug in at night, as their is a outlet outside right by the room. They wanted $10/day to plug into a 120v 15 amp outlet. I had to explain that, on a 120v 15 amp outlet, the most I'd draw per day was $1 of electric, and that would on the high end of the electrical rate spectrum.

Eventually, convinced them to charge me $10 to charge for my entire stay, 3 nights, 4 days, and might add a additional night, to make it 4 nights.

After checkin, and unloading our stuff into the room, we met up with a friend, at "Taps" brewery and restaurant. Good food, good beer, AND a 70amp Sun Country J1772 Charging Station!!! WOOO HOOO! Although, I did not get as much range back as I had expected. As it was a 70 amp station, and I had a single charger in my car, the voltage stayed very stable at 213v. No voltage drop. Got about 30 miles charge.

The 120v outlet was a savior though. I awoke this morning with a 50% charge on the car, and their are TONS of level 2's (Although, most rather slow).

So, that is it for now, going to go see where we are stopping today!

Thanks for the update... it was extremely windy yesterday, even if the temperatures were higher than they've been lately. I'm surprised you were able to find so many L2 stations right when you needed them along this route. What's your plan for the drive back?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update... it was extremely windy yesterday, even if the temperatures were higher than they've been lately. I'm surprised you were able to find so many L2 stations right when you needed them along this route. What's your plan for the drive back?
Plug share comes in VERY handy! Actually a LOT of Level 2's around, most are DEADLY Slow. I found 2 of the Sun Country's stations. Yesterday at Taps Brewery, and got a nice bit of juice while seating and visiting with my Nicola Tesla Historian friend, and then today, pulled into the Travellodge by complete accident, and found 2 more Sun Country stations. Both locations had 70 amp service at 208v. As I only have single charger, I was at least able to charge at 40 amps, which, holy crap, makes a massive difference. And since the wiring is over-sized due to the station being 70 amp, their was only 1 volt voltage drop, which is great! All the 30 amp Charge points I used had massive drops, usually as much as 10v!, and of course, this stupid current limiting on the new firmwares drops the amperage. That is a royal nightmare! I KNEW I should have waited to update firmware until AFTER my trip!!!!!!!!!! ARG!!!!!!!

Have tonight and Tomorrow night at the Super 8, on my 120v outlet. I surprisingly got more range last night then I thought I would, and stayed plugged in at the Travel-lodge's Sun Country station while having dinner, and got a HUGE boost in charge. We will be staying in Niagara Monday night, and maybe Tuesday Night, so instead of staying at Super 8, we will be going over to Travel Lodge.
Monday Morning, we will be going to the power plant on the US side. Plugging in the chargepoint during the day, the one that got amp limited by 50% the other day, but, we will be meeting with people that work at the plant, and if they can get clearance, we will be attempting a Model S Photo Shoot right up on the sidewalk at the Entrance.

Going to dig through some photo's right now and post some. Most of my stuff is video. Working on my documentary, not too much progress on that, but will get some good video on Monday. As this is more of a casual documentary, and I've never done a Documentary before, who knows what I'll end up with. Worst case scenario, I will end up with Midget 1 some how figuring out how to turn off a Hydro-Electric plant (give that kid 3 minutes in a room and you have total destruction) or Midget 2, figuring out how to "flush" the "Big" toilet....................

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_3861.jpg

DSC_3882.jpg

DSC_3889.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sadily, so far, the whole time here, I've only seen two references to Nikola Tesla. The statue in the picture over-looking the falls, and the Bobble-Heads for sale in the gift shop.
:( This man deserves much better :( But still, who doesn't like bobble-heads! Going back tomorrow to get one :)

Oh, and taking orders for Bobble Heads. $40 includes shipping to you once I get home. Yah, their expensive. Please let me know asap so I can pick them up before we leave NF.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are my hero!!!! You go where no Tesla has gone before!
Understatement, I have some special photos coming, got in a few restricted areas today (LEGALLY....), my Model s has returned to the "source". ;) Police were involved in that one, but I think I have a photo for the history books, and most likely will be in history books, and due to some upcoming changes, photo will never happen again, at least, possibly without lifting the model s by crane hehe. :)

(mod note: some posts/parts moved to the Grammar Misteaks thread)

I dispute this action.

Someone who is as outwardly spoken from and for the Tesla community should be well spoken. We aren't late 80's F-Body owners here.

Since we are all a small portion of the population, and in the end each represent Tesla owners as a whole, we need to be on good behavior and present a good image.. on the boards and on the roads.

Understatement, I have some special photos coming, got in a few restricted areas today (LEGALLY....), my Model s has returned to the "source". ;) Police were involved in that one, but I think I have a photo for the history books, and most likely will be in history books, and due to some upcoming changes, photo will never happen again, at least, possibly without lifting the model s by crane hehe. :)

More pictures and fewer commas :)

I dispute this action.

Someone who is as outwardly spoken from and for the Tesla community should be well spoken. We aren't late 80's F-Body owners here.

Since we are all a small portion of the population, and in the end each represent Tesla owners as a whole, we need to be on good behavior and present a good image.. on the boards and on the roads.

Good behavior is also defined by tolerance towards others. Not everyone here is a native English speaker. And others of us are victimized by that awful autocorrect upon occasion. We have had posters in the past who felt the need to correct everyone, to the point it interrupts the conversation and defeats the purpose of the forum.

This is, first and foremost, a car forum. The mods will typically fix typos in thread titles, but that's it. We ask that people not spend time correcting others because it is not productive and typically demeans the person being corrected.

Am I personally bothered by all the lose/loose break/brake its/it's then/than stuff? Yes. Unequivocally yes. But I look at it as a character building experience to let it go and move on.

I've built a LOT of character on this forum. :)

Good behavior is also defined by tolerance towards others. Not everyone here is a native English speaker. And others of us are victimized by that awful autocorrect upon occasion. We have had posters in the past who felt the need to correct everyone, to the point it interrupts the conversation and defeats the purpose of the forum.

This is, first and foremost, a car forum. The mods will typically fix typos in thread titles, but that's it. We ask that people not spend time correcting others because it is not productive and typically demeans the person being corrected.

Am I personally bothered by all the lose/loose break/brake its/it's then/than stuff? Yes. Unequivocally yes. But I look at it as a character building experience to let it go and move on.

I've built a LOT of character on this forum. :)

If you're already almost too much of a character, can you chance building more? That's the problem some of us must face.

Well, spent the day at the PowerVista. Got some nice pictures. One of the high up's at the plant came out, and we did a bit of a photo shoot. I will admit, I am sexy ;)
lots, and I mean LOTS of pictures coming. Not sure if I will just put them in a video, or if I will post individually.

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_3949.jpg

Just a preview of how the week went.

Wel, didn't make it home today. I am currently at a hotel in Cleveland, while my car is stuck on the freeway, 3 miles north of the supercharger. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I got stuck with both a dead 12v battery and a dead main pack. on top of that, both tesla and aaa and the Macedonia/Cleveland police cannot find a towing company that is willing to tow a tesla. The car will not go into tow mode, and now requires a dolly truck to be moved, and now, none will be available from the companies I found that actually had them. So now, 10 degrees out, dead 12v and main pack, I am praying the car is not going to go into safety mode that requires a service center to wake it up. if it does, I'm royally screwed. I hope jumping the 12v tomorrow at the supercharger takes care of that, if not, I'm looking at a expensive tow bill all the while being stuck 600 miles from home.
the thing is, I would have made it, but the pack heater kicked in right after the charge now came on the screen, and drained what reserve I had left to get to the SC.... range mode is on. will update tomorrow... still don't think the 12v should have died that quick though.

Wow, feel for you. Wishing best of luck tomorrow.
Thanks, I just hope the main pack doesn't go into safety. if it does and requires a service center to unlock it, that's a effing 2 1/2 hrs away, to Cincinnati as I had thought Cleveland service center was open and Apearantly is not.
Oh god I hope it's not in safety. tow truck rides 1, and I have me, granny Andy 2 midgets. I don't know what to do, freaking stressing out with my MS sitting on the side of the freeway all night dead in 10 degrees. this is like worst case scenario.

I'm happy you are able to post this and not out there freezing with the car. Even if the car goes belly up at least your family is safe. The car can be fixed. Maybe the stock going up tomorrow will be of some solace.

I'm guessing even if you bought a generator and plugged it in that might not save it as it won't take a charge?