Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive from Seattle to Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about a drive from Seattle to Toronto later in the year.
The great supercharger wasteland of Idaho through Montana looks super slow. Once I hit Rapid City, SD its smooth sailing.
Has anyone heard any noise about permits or site selection for any of those superchargers?
Even a single supercharger or an 80amp HPC somewhere in Montana along I90 would be a huge help.

The great supercharger wasteland of Idaho through Montana looks super slow. Once I hit Rapid City, SD its smooth sailing.
Has anyone heard any noise about permits or site selection for any of those superchargers?

Not Toronto but to Chicago this summer. Google Maps says 1026 road miles I90 Ellensburg to Rapid City. I did send an email to Tesla support asking for any rough idea the timing of the SC's along I90 and got ths reply

"Thank you for being an early Tesla supporter. We unfortunately can not speculate about supercharger opening dates. Keep you eye our and reach out closer to your trip.

Cheers,"

I would plan the trip in the early summer if the SC's were active then but might go a little later if I knew they wouldn't be active until mid summer or later. I would expect that I could cross the 'wasteland" in about 2 1/2 days using 1450,s in camp grounds etc but would take significant preplanning to check out charging sites through there. Even just 2-3 SC's of the 7 planned in there would really help.

I'm thinking this:
Day 1: Leave Redmond, full supercharge in Ellensburg, slow charge in Couer d'Alene, stop in Missoula Montana ( 480 miles )
Day 2: Leave Missoula Montana, multiple slow charges ( possibly Bozeman, Billings ) along the way to Sheridan Wy ( 470 miles )
Day 3+: Leave Sheridan, WY with an overnight full charge ( 14-50 ) and its 245 miles to the supercharger Rapid City, SD.
Day N: Last supercharge Maumee, OH and then drive all the way to the western edge of Toronto.

John: If you make a list of RV parks in the Couer d'Alene to Sheridan WY path ( especially for the Missoula and Sheridan overnights ) please let me know.

Chad: I looked at Sun Country, but it looks like there would only have 1 day with no superchargers at all, and even if that day is all 14-50s in RV parks, it's better than a bunch of extra days and extra miles.