Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Whine Gone: Bizarre, awesome side effect of 5.8.8??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross post from official Tesla forums:

So I was showing off my car on Tuesday, and the balloon squeal was as obvious as it's always been (approaching 12k miles since last April, VIN 83XX). However, with the 5.8.8 update late Wednesday night, the squeal is gone, replaced instead with very quiet Jetson's-like electric car sound. while it's possible it's coincidence, if it's not then this is what's obscenesly cool about Model S. It doesn't just get better, it gets better remotely, overnight.
Could anyone else--ideally with a 60 that had the squeal--confirm that 5.8.8 did indeed fix the squeal?

So I was showing off my car on Tuesday, and the balloon squeal was as obvious as it's always been (approaching 12k miles since last April, VIN 83XX). However, with the 5.8.8 update late Wednesday night, the squeal is gone, replaced instead with very quiet Jetson's-like electric car sound. while it's possible it's coincidence, if it's not then this is what's obscenesly cool about Model S. It doesn't just get better, it gets better remotely, overnight.
Could anyone else--ideally with a 60 that had the squeal--confirm that 5.8.8 did indeed fix the squeal?

i still have squeal with 5.8.8

With my recent 5.8.8 squeal is gone too
I can still hear it tiny bit at very max acceleration, but the sound is a lot quieter than it used to be
It's completely gone under all other conditions

The side effect in my case is different though
I'm now getting 287whm on the same commute from previous 400+
Yes, the temperatures are now in 30s vs 20s, but my car is always in heated garage (60F)

Balloon squeal is also gone in my car (60kwh, Vin49xx, 29k miles, Feb 2013 delivery) after 5.8.8 update. I did get a new power train around 9k miles, both old and new power train had the balloon squeal.

My whine is gone with 5.8.8 as well, I have an 85, had a new inverter at about 14k miles, and a new heater the same time the SC updated me to this version (20k miles).
I get a little almost unnoticeable noise all the time now, which I prefer a lot more.

Well, I knew about this report and was paying extra attention to noise last few days. it's actually colder today for me here. personally, I don't think it's noise from the motor itself but an inverter or other items associated with it. There's conversation from DC to AC and software can take a part in how it's done (frequency, modulation etc.). my guess is that's where the noise is and how it changed.

u8apumu3.jpg

Warmer weather. Ambient temperatures effect whether or not this sound will occur. I seriously doubt this is fixed. You can't magically make the electrical contactors tighter through software.

I agree - I can't see how a firmware update could affect this. I do find it kicks in at a lower power level in very cold conditions, and it has been milder lately.

I also find the sound varies randomly over time.

I don't think there's much question as to whether the "balloon" sound is a normal consequence of a powerful electric drive-train.

Where Tesla and I disagree is whether said sound is desirable. Tesla is of the the view that we should just relax and learn to love the balloon. I think they should be trying to minimize it with the EV equivalent of a muffler.