Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida HOV sticker placement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Florida HOV sticker so I can drive alone in HOV lanes. This seemed like a no-brainer for $7 per year.

This big rectangular sticker has a peel-off backing that says "PLACE ON LOWER RIGHT CORNER OF VEHICLE REAR WINDOW", but the curved MS rear window doesn't really have a lower "corner".

The logical spot where it seems like this big ugly sticker "belongs" is on the black area below their rear bumper because police will easily see it before pulling me over and license plate cameras will also see it.

The legal risk of putting it there seem minimal because Florida law doesn't mention anything about the window or sticker placement. It only says you must have the sticker: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...41&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.0741.html.

Has anyone else placed their Florida HOV sticker below the MS rear bumper? If so, has it resulted in any experiences with law enforcement (positive or negative)?

I put mine on the bottom right on the rear window. It's just about visible from the rear end view. I didn't want to put it on the paintwork because if you ever want to remove it, it'll be a mess trying to get it off when it's baked on hard under the Florida sun.

[FONT=&amp]Maybe it's just me, but that big rectangular bright green & yellow HOV sticker on the rear window spoils the clean and elegant lines of the MS. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
I'm aware that taste can be fickle. For example, I initially didn't like the glossy nosecone, but I've grown to really like this unique, in-your-face, non-apologetic "badge" of the MS.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
I'm also aware that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". This morning my sister-in-law told me that she didn't buy an HOV sticker because it's ugly and would spoil the looks of her Prius. (I kept a straight face).[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
As far as paintwork damage, other posts recommend using a piece of paint-protection film on the back of stickers, so I'll try to find some film if I end up putting it on a painted surface. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Maybe it's just me, but that big rectangular bright green & yellow HOV sticker on the rear window spoils the clean and elegant lines of the MS. [/FONT]

I'd agree it does spoil the lines a bit but you get used to it after a while. I was gonna ask if your S was the other grey one I keep seeing around here (Plantation) but I see from your signature, it's a silver one. I wonder who has the other grey one? Another TMC'er?

I've just put a 14-50 outlet in the garage so if you or any other Tesla owner needs a charge up and you are in the area, let me know.

I just picked up my Florida HOV sticker so I can drive alone in HOV lanes. This seemed like a no-brainer for $7 per year.

This big rectangular sticker has a peel-off backing that says "PLACE ON LOWER RIGHT CORNER OF VEHICLE REAR WINDOW", but the curved MS rear window doesn't really have a lower "corner".

The logical spot where it seems like this big ugly sticker "belongs" is on the black area below their rear bumper because police will easily see it before pulling me over and license plate cameras will also see it.

The legal risk of putting it there seem minimal because Florida law doesn't mention anything about the window or sticker placement. It only says you must have the sticker: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...41&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.0741.html.

Has anyone else placed their Florida HOV sticker below the MS rear bumper? If so, has it resulted in any experiences with law enforcement (positive or negative)?
without trying to sound harsh this really isn't complicated, put the sticker on the right side of the rear window as low as possible, I would never place any sort of sticker onto a painted surface. fortunately for me we don't have those lanes here in NE FLA.

Reactions: gnxs
Yes it's ugly. Wound up somewhere in the lower right window area. I'll get a photo later. I got an orange one and the FL sun has already bleached the color so it's fading and less in your face now thankully.
Never did make sense. Usually see the HOV police on he left shoulder to me it would make more sense on the driver side either front or back but that is government. I got a 95 express one and that one says lower left corner of front windshield. Driver side that is. That also makes no sense when they use the toll by plate cameras they won't see it but supposedly plate should be in the database.
never did put the 95 one on and thinking of taking the HOV one off. Only used it once and lane was just as slow as the others anyway.

...I got a 95 express one and that one says lower left corner of front windshield. Driver side that is. That also makes no sense when they use the toll by plate cameras they won't see it but supposedly plate should be in the database...
I also registered for the 95 Express exemption sticker. I agree that sticker makes no sense. If you're in the exemption database, you should never get charged a toll on your SunPass whether or not you have the sticker on. This should be 100% computerized without any involvement of the HOV police patrol.

I still can't make myself put the ugly FDOT HOV sticker on my pretty P85 (maybe after the honeymoon).

All of these stickers are fugly! In CA we need 3 of them. Why can't we get smart DMV folks like in other states to issue different license plates/colors?
A Florida EV tag (like the handicapped tag) seems like something that "Florida Tesla Enthusiasts" teamed with Leaf and other Florida EV enthusiasts groups might be able to lobby the state government for. Likewise in California.

I still can't make myself put that ugly Florida HOV sticker anywhere on our new MS, however, my wife just suggested a solution:

We have an "Everglades" specialty license plate which has it's graphic on the left side (instead of being centered like other Florida plates).

The HOV sticker nicely fits over this graphic
Everglades plate 4.png

Have any other Floridians done this? Is there any reason law enforcement might not appreciate this home-made HOV plate?

Have any other Floridians done this? Is there any reason law enforcement might not appreciate this home-made HOV plate?
I can't say for certain but FLA may have something about defacing the plate on the books.
a better thing is for the FLA EV groups start a movement for the state to create an EV plate that would eliminate the need for getting stickers. I will be meeting with my legislator and I urge everyone to do the same

Reactions: bicar
I can't say for certain but FLA may have something about defacing the plate on the books.
Your honor, may I please address the court concerning my client's alleged plate-defacing?
He acted without malice in applying his HOV sticker. Every license plate frame obscures some non-critical decorative graphics, which is all my client is guilty of.:rolleyes:

a better thing is for the FLA EV groups start a movement for the state to create an EV plate that would eliminate the need for getting stickers. I will be meeting with my legislator and I urge everyone to do the same
Florida absolutely should have an EV plate. I'll be interested to read about how the meeting with your legislator goes. Let me know if I can help. Meanwhile, I'm still thinking of making my own HOV plate unless somebody posts that they tried it got busted.

Your honor, may I please address the court concerning my client's alleged plate-defacing?
He acted without malice in applying his HOV sticker. Every license plate frame obscures some non-critical decorative graphics, which is all my client is guilty of.:rolleyes:

Hi Bill,

It was good to see you at Cars n' Coffee today. I noticed your green HOV sticker placement today as you were leaving Dania Beach. It looks quite good placed there. I wonder if you'll ever get any problems from the authorities from it?

It was good to see you at Cars n' Coffee today. I noticed your green HOV sticker placement today as you were leaving Dania Beach. It looks quite good placed there. I wonder if you'll ever get any problems from the authorities from it?
Likewise, it was good to meet you in person today at the Cars n' Coffee. Since we've only had our P85 for a month and we're just starting to plan our first road trip, we appreciated the experienced advice from you and others at the event.

I rolled the dice and placed the HOV sticker directly on the plate because it really looks like it "belongs" there (If I have problems, I'll update this thread from my jail cell) :wink:

I also just received my 95 Express sticker. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it's not really needed on the car, because the car is now registered in the SunPass database as being exempt from 95 Express tolls, which should be automatic, sticker or no sticker. If you or anyone, has a reason why its needed on the car, let me know.

sun has totally bleached the bright orange in only 3 months or so.
Hey, don't be so critical of our Florida DOT. Cut them a break for missing something so obscure. WHAT ARE THE ODDS, in Florida, of the sun damaging something stuck on the outside of a car window. They can't think of everything. Nobody's perfect.

I'm getting my windows tinted next week. Your post has seriously made me wonder if I should ask for a scrap of film to put over my HOV sticker.

Yesterday, I had PhotoSync window film installed by Jorge at Auto SuperShield in Boca Raton. While I was there, another TMC member was also there having film installed and his HOV sticker was also totally faded. Jorge put a piece of clear paint protection film over my HOV sticker and said that the UV protection of the film should eliminate or greatly reduce the fading. I'll aim to report back here in the future about how it worked.

I was gonna ask if your S was the other grey one I keep seeing around here (Plantation) but I see from your signature, it's a silver one. I wonder who has the other grey one? Another TMC'er?

Not another Britt with a Tesla in Plantation?
Dam it I thought I would be the only one:wink: