Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your exterior protected?

How is your exterior protected?

• Full Xpel (or comparable)

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Full Xpel + Opticoat

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Partial Xpel

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Partial Xpel + Opticoat

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Opticoat

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Naked, just how I like it

Votes: 36 34.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious how many people Xpel and/or opticoat their Teslas. So, I figured I'd create a simple poll to try and see what most people do. Your options are various mixes and mashes of Xpel (or something comparable to it), plus opticoat. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry for not making the options a little more comprehensive, apparently I did a ****** job at that :\ Think of it as Xpel or some other form of clear bra, and Opticoat or some other form of coating. Then feel free to chime in to the comments with exactly what you have applied. Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited:
This poll is missing several things.

You've left out nano coatings such as Gtechniq, 22PLE, CQuartz, etc. as well as hybrid sealants, sealants and waxes.

Gtechniq C1+EXOv2, G1, C4, C5
Maintained with either Carpro Reload or Gtenchiq C1.5

Last edited:
This pole is missing several things.

You've left out nano coatings such as Gtechniq, 22PLE, CQuartz, etc. as well as hybrid sealants, sealants and waxes.

Gtechniq C1+EXOv2, G1, C4, C5
Maintained with either Carpro Reload or Gtenchiq C1.5
No mention of Tesla's Paint Armor?

Please tell me the bad news now, before my new toy moves from "Sourcing" to "Production"... :frown:

No mention of Tesla's Paint Armor?

Please tell me the bad news now, before my new toy moves from "Sourcing" to "Production"... :frown:

The bad news is that it only covers half the hood so there is a dirt line that looks just awful. In addition, plenty of damaging particles hit above the line. There have also been complaints that the installation was poor. Get full coverage (at least the hood and fenders if you think full coverage is too expensive) from a good local source.

XPEL full front + rear bumper + Gtechniq C1 crystal lacquer on non-XPEL parts and Gtechniq EXOv2 on everything.

I am not a fan of Tesla's paint armor. Definitely XPEL is a far better product.

Agreed. Tesla's factory applied paint armor had limited coverage and was poorly applied in my case. The local service center was very accommodating and had a third party reapply most of the paint armor under warranty. Ironically the small piece of paint armor on the frunk was properly applied, but I paid to have it removed to do a full hood cover.

I believe my exterior is similar to yours.

Tesla paint armor front + rear bumper + Gtechniq C1 crystal lacquer on non-paint armor parts and Gtechniq EXOv2 on everything.

Larry

Glare Pro Polish. Supposed to shine better than Opticoat and I get to put it on over and over again!

I read artsci's excellent set of tests on paint sealants. However, I just could not get over their website nor how confusing the product lineup was on the site, so I called them. The gentlemen on the phone was well, responded I such a way that I definitely was not going to buy their product. He was also very much against paint protection films. I went with Gtechniq because I wanted that kind of technology and it was something that I could apply myself.

Great poll. Amazing how far clear bra technology has come in the past few years. I never liked the stuff but we still applied it to client cars because it provided the added protection against rock chips. Now, I'm so happy to be applying XPEL and Suntek as the durability, clarity, and warranty has made it a no-brainer.