Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug-In NCW "Fun" Raiser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug-In North Central Washington has planned a “Fun” Raiser EVent to showcase the North Cascades Highway and north central Washington. All plug-in EV are welcome to attend. Plug-In NCW has commissioned prizes from local artists to recognize the winners of the 142 mile (Yes, haL2 charging is available) Poker Run and its associated contests. Contests? Think, could my navigator coach me through a course while I drive with a blindfold over my eyes! So, be watching your e-mail for a message via Eventbrite.
image_map.gif

Last edited:
Registration: North Cascades Electric Vehicle Rally of Discovery Registration, Mazama - Eventbrite

The above link provides additional information; hoping to see you on "the Loop."

Celebrating the "electrification" of North Cascades Scenic Highway is the point of this FUN Raiser. Plug-In north Central Washington invites you, your family and friends to join in a unique EVent for all Plug-In vehicles. We will be gathering at the Mazama Country Inn on Friday evening June 6th. Saturday is when the Rally/Poker Run will be conducted. This kind of event involves driving to designated points along the route and drawing a playing card. Highest five cards is the winner. Several towns will have been advertising the arrival of EVs so we are expecting plenty of opportunities for you to talk about your car with local residents. Plug-In NCW has designed several contests for which the winners will get to draw an "extra" card. The Rally route includes dinner at the beautifully located Pateros Lakeshore Inn. Sunday after the Awards Breakfast we will have some suggested activities ranging from walking tours along wooded trails to visiting the historic western theme town of Winthrop. This is not a fund raiser! Our focus is on FUN.
Rooms at the Mazama Country Inn have been blocked out for us; however, each participant must make reservations individually. Be sure to clearly tell the reservation desk that you are part of the Discovery Rally to gain the 20% discount being offered. (800) 843 -7951. (Discount Applied: rooms range between $88 and $136 per night) There are other lodging opportunities in the area. We plan to have two group activities at the Mazama Country Inn so please plan to stay near enough that you can attend the Friday evening social time and "Driver Meeting" and the Sunday morning "Awards Breakfast."
Charging Plan:
Up to nine big battery cars can be charged at the Mazama Country Inn during a 15 hour period from 5PM Friday to 8AM Saturday. There is also 110V charging available. Additional charging can be found at the Pine Near RV Park in Winthrop which is 14 miles from Mazama. Plug-In NCW will arrange shuttle service. There are cabins available at the Pine Near RV Park too.
Contests:
Photo - photos taken by participants will be posted on a board at the Mazama Country Inn. Each registered participant will have 10 "votes" to apply. Picture with most votes wins extra card draw for the person who submitted it (or the team of their choice)
Back Up - at the Omak Inn each EV will have the opportunity to perform the perfect back up maneuver into a standard parking spot. Winner gets one additional card draw.
Blind Driver - at the Lakeshore Inn each EV can, if they dare, attempt to negotiate a course with the only guidance being the voice commands of their navigator. Winner gets one additional card draw.

Poker Run Route:
Total Length - 157.2 miles
Longest Segment - 39.9 miles
Charging - 70A J1772 available at 62 miles and again at 120 miles
Prizes:
First Prize: Lapidary on Wood Artwork by Mazama Artist Larry McWhirter
Second Prize: Metal sculptor by Manson Artist Mark Strain
Third Prize: Basket of local and locally purchased items
Registration: North Cascades Electric Vehicle Rally of Discovery Registration, Mazama - Eventbrite
We will be using Eventbrite to manage registrations and ask that the participant pay the Eventbrite fee in addition to the $25 per vehicle registration that Plug-In NCW is collecting. The registration for Plug-In NCW is being used for Prizes and some materials needed for the various contests being conducted. Lodging and meals are all at the participant’s expense. Hoping to see you on “the Loop.”

Last edited:
Take Hwy 2 to 97 to 20. There are some Plug-In NCW chargers along the way (bring your J1772 adapter) at 59er diner (just 95 miles from Bellevue), Leavenworth, Chelan, Pateros and Winthrop.

In a Model S, it probably makes more sense to drive to the Burlington Supercharger, then take Hwy 20 to Mazama (just 120 miles from Burlington).

The Fun Run

I signed up too.

Rooms at the Mazama Country Inn have been blocked out for us; however, each participant must make reservations individually. Be sure to clearly tell the reservation desk that you are part of the Discovery Rally to gain the 20% discount being offered. (800) 996-7951.

Note different phone numbers. The one above is garbled. Correct ones are (800) 843-7951 or (509) 996-2681 If you want some excitement try the one in the quote.

JohnMc: Thanks for pointing our the Mazama Country Inn phone number problem. I have attempted to "fix" it every where I can. This is going to be an enjoyable get together, in a truly beautiful portion of Washington. Plug-In NCW is working hard to get a real mix of EVs for this EVent. One very encouraging feature is that Steve Coram will be driving his Leaf across the North Cascades Highway on Saturday. This is a feat made possible by the haL2 chargers established by those donating to Plug-In North Central Washington and the fact the Seattle City Light was inspired by those EVSE installations to place two on their property at Newhalem. Jack

I was just asked if you had to stay for the weekend to take part in this EVent. The answer is no. The poker run will be conducted on Saturday starting at 10:00 AM and ends with a dinner on the patio of the Twisp River Pub. I have planned that we would be finished and on our way back to Mazama by about 7:30 PM. The actual poker run could be finished as early as 5:00 PM. I hope this makes a decision to register somewhat easier. I have also had some questions about the contests; same answer, you do not have to participate. The best performer in each contest will get to draw an additional card which improves the odds of a winning poker hand. Hope to see you on the North Cascades Highway!

Cabins at Winthrop

If the Mazama country Inn is full you can contact another Plug-In NCW Host who has some very cool cabins to rent: Pine Near RV Park; (509) 341-4062 Be sure to tell them you are with the North Cascades Rally of Discovery! 70A charger plus plenty of NEMA 14-50 outlets. Pine Near is in Winthrop which is about 15 miles from Mazama.

IMG_20130910_133144.jpg

Last edited:
Rally of Discovery Time Line

We will be releasing the first car at 10 AM Saturday from Winthrop which is about 15 miles from Mazama. After breakfast on Saturday drivers will go to the Pine Near RV Park in Winthrop. The RV Park has one 70A Charger and has reserved 10 NEMA 14-50 outlets for the rally. We will have a driver meeting at about 9:45 then start the cars at about 5 minute intervals beginning at 10 AM. This is really a FUN RUN so if you are so late that you miss the official starting, we will leave you a Poker Run Card and instructions at the Pine Near Office and you can start when you get there! Cell phones work well in most of the Methow so we can coordinate via phone. After the Loop Loop Summit we will gather up at the Omak Inn (70A charger) and conduct a driver contest while local residents visit to see cars and talk with EV drivers. This will last about 2 hours. You would most likely be able to catch up with the group there. I really hope that this will work out for you...

Poker Run Timeline.xlsx will download to your computer

View attachment Poker Run Time Line.xlsx
image_map.gif