Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster-friendly adhesive numbers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the body magnetic?

I must admit I don't even know if carbon fiber is magnetic. I plan to drive my Roadster at Autocross events. I'll need to put temporary numbers on the side of the car, which are typically made of magnetic sheets. Will they hold on the body panels of the Roadster?

Vinyl, even the thick stuff meant to be temporary, has a stickiness to it that I'd rather not apply to the paint. I may try static cling numbers, although they sometimes come off, even at autocross speeds, which for the Roadster will tend to be higher than other cars.

Static cling may actually work better on the carbon fiber. Try that first.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to put anything sticky on the paint either. Just that the magnets won't work.
I've seen the guys in the shop use blue painter's tape on some painted surfaces on the car, so perhaps it's ok.

There's another special kind of white plastic tape (sorry don't know the name) that we use on the Stanford basketball court when setting up for taekwondo tournaments (actually we got it from the volleyball folks) and it doesn't leave any residue as far as I can tell. When the Roadster's are delivered, there's some kind of white tape on them to protect the body work. (Of course the car is detailed after the tape is removed.) You might contact Tesla and find out what they're using.

Last edited:
Or if you are getting the 3M armor package you could ask them to apply an extra patch where needed for the numbers. Then use the vinyl version in that area. ( I think some owners have had that done in areas where the white California EV sticker is to be applied. )

This seems like something probably covered here but I can't find it with the search...

I am planning on taking our Roadster to Englishtown in a few weeks to do the road racing course. They require adhesive numbers to be stuck to the car.

Can anyone out there give any advice which stickers to use or not use? I'm talking about the type of sticker to use here, not whether "13 " is cooler than "69"... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Btw, someone seems to have a line on some nice looking Tesla branded numbers.

june-26-speedventures%20-%20refuel%20z_pits-etc%20cp4_3173.jpg

OT: That white Roadster 04 has the little side blinkies of a European model, that's unusual isn't it? I'm assuming the meet is in the US, based upon the driver location and language of the signs.

Yes, that was at Laguna Seca last weekend.
I think some Tesla employees came out and ran 3 (or so) Roadsters at the event.
Yes, it is unusual that (what appears to be) a Euro-Spec Roadster showed up there.

Last edited:
Btw, someone seems to have a line on some nice looking Tesla branded numbers.
june-26-speedventures.jpg

Not to change the subject, but the logo on that van looks like it is SSR Wheels. Either that, or BMW M-series. But it looks more like purple in the middle stripe, which would be SSR Wheels. Anyway, I've been trying to get Type C semi-solid forged SSR Wheels for my Tesla Roadster, so I'm very curious whether any of these pictured roadsters have non-stock wheels.