Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in 3rd row seat ventilation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently fabricating a ventilation system which pulls the air from the 2nd row to the rear facing seats. My kids get hot/cold back there and I needed a solution. Here are my goals with this system:

1. Make it look as much like an OEM unit as possible
2. Quiet and yet providing enough air to be effective
3. The system only blows air from the 2nd row. It does not heat or cool.
4. Easily installed and removed
5. Low current draw
6. Compatible with all markets (US, EU, AP)

I'm making them for my kids first and they'll get the benefit of the prototyping. However, if the demand is high enough, I'll gladly mass produce these. The addition of the sun shade for the rear hatch will help a lot, and I'm getting it as soon as it comes out, but here in Texas the summer heat is going to be a big deal.

When some of the molding is done, I'll post pictures here. Once I get an idea of manufacturing costs, I can give an estimate on pricing.
Let me know if you want on the list.
Thanks!

Nine months ago I would have said yes. After tinting the rear window and buying a small 12v fan I think I can get by. I still think this is an area that Tesla needs to improve. I hope they learn from this and apply it to the X.

We're using the third row for the first time, visiting LA for a few weeks and transporting our 3 yo granddaughter to and from preschool. I took the opportunity, after she complained of the heat, to have the 3M Crystallate film installed in the rear and sides, with the rear and back two windows getting the 30% transparency and the front sides getting 70% transparency. Then I also added the Tesla screen for the back window. That plus a battery operated fan recommended on a different thread, and a big sun hat, did the trick.

I would still be interested in more air flow in the back.

Thanks for working on the problem.

The Tesla sun shade and the portable fan have done the trick for us, at least for the short trips we take using the jump seat. But I would be interested in something slightly less ad hoc than the portable fan, since that requires remembering to make sure you have a charged fan battery (oh, the irony--the fan battery is the biggest range anxiety I have).

Does anybody have the rear liftgate sun shade? http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/rear-liftgate-sunshade

It is at effective as tinting for keeping the temps down in the rear seats?

I have tinted windows and I recently bought the sunshade. I took the kids on a 3 hour road trip in the Texas heat and had zero complaints about cabin temperature. I don't think the shade is as effective as tinting but definite augments the effect.