Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area to Eureka

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a road trip from the Bay Area to Eureka. The shortest route is US 101. No Superchargers. I've reviewed PlugShare/Recargo and it looks like a couple of good overnight stops at motels (Ukiah, Garberville, or even Mendocino/Ft Bragg if I cut over to Hwy 1).

My alternative routes:

1. I-5 (using Supercharger @ Corning) and cut over near Redding to Eureka via Route 299 (187 miles from Corning). Although it's only an extra 50 miles vs the direct route on US 101, I'm not looking forward to route 299 (and Route 36 from Red Bluff looks worse); but each way done in 1 day (thank you supercharging). Total distance from my house 390 miles. Found a reasonable motel in Arcata with EV charging (no know motel/hotels in Eureka with EV charging).

2. US 101 cut over to the coast at Cloverdale, Ft Bragg or Mendocino (overnight stay, considerable more expensive than Arcata, but EV charging also available), then to Eureka. This is only 20 miles longer than the direct route, but requires an overnight stay to charge in Ft Bragg or Mendocino each way. Total 1-way distance from my house 331 miles. This is actually physically shorter than the direct US 101 route!

3. Direct route US 101 to Eureka/Arcata (344 miles from my house). Requires very long stops in Healdsburg and/or Ukiah, and overnight in Garberville. Garberville has one very expensive hotel with EV charging.

4. Leave Model S at home, and drive someone else's gas car (I'll have to remember how to use a gas station). And drive US 101 direct route.

Boy it would be great to have a Supercharger somewhere near Santa Rosa (ideally north of Santa Rosa) :)

It looks like by the end of 2014 there will be a supercharger on N US 101 -- it looks like it may be Ukiah or some spot halfway between Santa Rosa and Eureka (perfect!). Once that is in place, this will be a very easy trip (and also make a very easy trip to Mendocino/Ft Bragg).

But for now, it's a difficult choice.

Any HPWCs along the way (I have twin chargers)?
Only a couple of personal residence HPWCs show up in Plugshare. I wouldn't want to impose, except for an emergency.

Any suggestions from someone who has made a similar trip?

I'd do I-5 w/ SuperChargers.

But I've also charged in Mendocino @ the Stanford Inn (7.2kW J1772 station). If you want to take the scenic route w/ an overnight stay that would be my recommendation.

I'm planning a road trip from the Bay Area to Eureka. The shortest route is US 101. No Superchargers. I've reviewed PlugShare/Recargo and it looks like a couple of good overnight stops at motels (Ukiah, Garberville, or even Mendocino/Ft Bragg if I cut over to Hwy 1).

My alternative routes:

1. I-5 (using Supercharger @ Corning) and cut over near Redding to Eureka via Route 299 (187 miles from Corning). Although it's only an extra 50 miles vs the direct route on US 101, I'm not looking forward to route 299 (and Route 36 from Red Bluff looks worse); but each way done in 1 day (thank you supercharging). Total distance from my house 390 miles. Found a reasonable motel in Arcata with EV charging (no know motel/hotels in Eureka with EV charging).

2. US 101 cut over to the coast at Cloverdale, Ft Bragg or Mendocino (overnight stay, considerable more expensive than Arcata, but EV charging also available), then to Eureka. This is only 20 miles longer than the direct route, but requires an overnight stay to charge in Ft Bragg or Mendocino each way. Total 1-way distance from my house 331 miles. This is actually physically shorter than the direct US 101 route!

3. Direct route US 101 to Eureka/Arcata (344 miles from my house). Requires very long stops in Healdsburg and/or Ukiah, and overnight in Garberville. Garberville has one very expensive hotel with EV charging.

4. Leave Model S at home, and drive someone else's gas car (I'll have to remember how to use a gas station). And drive US 101 direct route.

Boy it would be great to have a Supercharger somewhere near Santa Rosa (ideally north of Santa Rosa) :)

It looks like by the end of 2014 there will be a supercharger on N US 101 -- it looks like it may be Ukiah or some spot halfway between Santa Rosa and Eureka (perfect!). Once that is in place, this will be a very easy trip (and also make a very easy trip to Mendocino/Ft Bragg).

But for now, it's a difficult choice.

Any HPWCs along the way (I have twin chargers)?
Only a couple of personal residence HPWCs show up in Plugshare. I wouldn't want to impose, except for an emergency.

Any suggestions from someone who has made a similar trip?

I do Eureka / los Altos fairly often.

Hopland(Solar living center) has 225-235V/40A outlets and so does the Benbow inn. I stop at Hopland and walk down the train tracks to the piazza de campovida(to stay off 101 across the bridge) pizza and beer + some pretty good salads/soup, also there is wine tasting all over Hopland. Benbow is good for dinner or a walk next to the river if it is early or a round of golf even? food is a bit pricey for Humboldt but pretty good, lots of wines, happy hour 1/2 price on any drink 4-6pm.

You could you stop in San Rafael at service they have HPWC and that might be faster but not sure what is there besides lots of Maserati and ferrari to look at.

I-5 is boring but might be quicker. it takes me ~8-8 1/2 hours usually, taking 101. Charge 2-1/2 hours and drive conservatively 62-3mph in 65 zones unless there is traffic which helps lower drag a bit then I just stay with the flow. once you get past ukiah it is pretty

It sounded to me like there will be more than just 1 SC north of S.F. hope ukiah and Cloverdale/Santa Rosa get them!

Thanks...When I looked up Hopland on Plugshare.com, it seemed a little unreliable (based upon the negative posts), and might be too far for my passenger to walk. I think if I go 101, it will require overnight in either Ukiah (cheaper) or Ft Bragg/Mendocino (prettier). I also thought about San Rafael service center, but with a return on a Sunday afternoon -- the SC will likely be closed, and it looks far from any restaurants; so it would mean sitting in the car for 1-2 hours (1 hr if it can pull 80A) -- I'd do it, but my passenger will go stir crazy.

I-5 looks to be the only way to do this in one day, but requires travel over SR299. Have you driven 299 between Redding & Arcata? Arcata to Corning SC is 187 miles but it looks like there are four different summits (highest at 3214 ft). I'm planning this trip for late March (and given the drought) road conditions should be good. I plan to drive as conservatively as safe to squeeze every mile out of my 85 kWh pack :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks...I have been looking at the Stanford Inn in Mendocino; or perhaps the Beachcomber in Ft Bragg as possible overnight stops. Those are the only two motel/hotels with EV charging that I have been able to find in that area.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been considering either the Santford Inn in Mendo, or the Beachcomber in Ft Bragg. These are the only 2 motel/hotels that I have found with EV charging anywhere in that area. Also considering overnight in Ukiah at EV friendly motel.

I know the I-5 route will be fastest, but worry about the long haul thru SR 299 from Redding to Arcata. Still have time to think about it.

Things were much easier in my old EV with only 100 miles of range. I would just borrow an ICE and drive, would not even consider driving my car.

Thanks...When I looked up Hopland on Plugshare.com, it seemed a little unreliable (based upon the negative posts), and might be too far for my passenger to walk. I think if I go 101, it will require overnight in either Ukiah (cheaper) or Ft Bragg/Mendocino (prettier). I also thought about San Rafael service center, but with a return on a Sunday afternoon -- the SC will likely be closed, and it looks far from any restaurants; so it would mean sitting in the car for 1-2 hours (1 hr if it can pull 80A) -- I'd do it, but my passenger will go stir crazy.

I-5 looks to be the only way to do this in one day, but requires travel over SR299. Have you driven 299 between Redding & Arcata? Arcata to Corning SC is 187 miles but it looks like there are four different summits (highest at 3214 ft). I'm planning this trip for late March (and given the drought) road conditions should be good. I plan to drive as conservatively as safe to squeeze every mile out of my 85 kWh pack :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks...I have been looking at the Stanford Inn in Mendocino; or perhaps the Beachcomber in Ft Bragg as possible overnight stops. Those are the only two motel/hotels with EV charging that I have been able to find in that area.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been considering either the Santford Inn in Mendo, or the Beachcomber in Ft Bragg. These are the only 2 motel/hotels that I have found with EV charging anywhere in that area. Also considering overnight in Ukiah at EV friendly motel.

I know the I-5 route will be fastest, but worry about the long haul thru SR 299 from Redding to Arcata. Still have time to think about it.

Things were much easier in my old EV with only 100 miles of range. I would just borrow an ICE and drive, would not even consider driving my car.

Last time I charged at the San Rafael service center, the charger was a 70A Roadster unit with a Model S adapter cable. You'll get about 14kW max from it...

Last time I charged at the San Rafael service center, the charger was a 70A Roadster unit with a Model S adapter cable. You'll get about 14kW max from it...

I'm pretty sure they have HPWC's outside now, always open.

I used 46.5 kWhr going from Redding to Arcata (141.5 mi), driving pretty damn fast but no passengers
used 45.6kWhr going Arcata to Redding (148 mi)
this was in may with temps ~mid 50's on coast and mid 90's in Redding (ow)

If you like windy roads you could take Hwy36 too.

The first couple of times I came up to Humboldt I took I-5 to 299, not sure why, northern 101 is so much nicer. I do like driving 299 but we are removing all of the fun curves. Stupid Safety projects:tongue:

Definitely call. When I was there (my only time) a few weeks ago, they had two chargers. They were also in a temporary space at the time but were close to full opening. It's possible they've expanded, but I know they always appreciate a call anyway, if you hope to charge.

Looking for any current info on the Bay Area to Eureka run. There was rumor of a Supercharger going into Willits area. Can anybody confirm? What about Ukiah? Ukiah has some city-run stations but near as I can tell they're 220/40 level 2 at best.

Any recent experience/info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Looking for any current info on the Bay Area to Eureka run. There was rumor of a Supercharger going into Willits area. Can anybody confirm? What about Ukiah? Ukiah has some city-run stations but near as I can tell they're 220/40 level 2 at best.

Any recent experience/info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Petaluma SC should be open pretty soon or now? nothing else until much later this year (Willits, Eureka, Crescent city)
I recommend trying to top off at Petaluma (at least until charge rate is <10kW) and if needed stop by Benbow Inn (225-35V/ 40A)

...From Eureka near Costco to the Petaluma SC area is 232mi and it shows 102% based on the trip calcs in 6.1
(Eureka to Grants Pass SC shows 78% ~ 200 mi rated which is pretty accurate, I use 210 in winter going fast and 240 w/ sticky staggered wheels)

Last edited:
What was the outcome of this trip?

I am going to Eureka for work from the Bay Area in April and I plan to drive my S85D. I'd normally fly, but the flight times didn't work out for this week. Since this thread, the Petaluma SC has opened, but nothing northward on the 101 corridor. So I plan on going through I-5 Corning/CA 36, with that leg requiring 205 rated miles with my spec. I think this will be fun. :)

I plan on staying at the Victorian Inn in Ferndale (just outside Eureka) because they installed an HPWC.

- K

Super 8 Ukiah -2 Destination Chargers Installed

Petaluma SC should be open pretty soon or now? nothing else until much later this year (Willits, Eureka, Crescent city)
I recommend trying to top off at Petaluma (at least until charge rate is <10kW) and if needed stop by Benbow Inn (225-35V/ 40A)

...From Eureka near Costco to the Petaluma SC area is 232mi and it shows 102% based on the trip calcs in 6.1
(Eureka to Grants Pass SC shows 78% ~ 200 mi rated which is pretty accurate, I use 210 in winter going fast and 240 w/ sticky staggered wheels)

Super 8 Hotel in Ukiah - Destination Chargers Tesla just Installed two 80amp chargers and its available 24-7. Here is the information.

Super 8 Ukiah
693 South Orchard Avenue
Ukiah, CA 95482
Hotel in Ukiah California | Super8 Ukiah Hotel
Phone #707-468-8181

Also has free wi-fi and onsite restaurant.

I made this trip with my family after the Petaluma Supercharger was available, but before Ukiah or Eureka was operational. We learned a few things not already covered. Unfortunately, the Petaluma SC is too far south, so I-5 is still much faster.

Solar Living Institute Hopland, CA
Solar Living Institute ⋆ Professional Solar Training Since 1998
Besides their existing 50 and 30 amp RV hookups, they added two Tesla-specific chargers. They’re not listed as a Tesla destination charger, and they’re only 40 amps :(. Beautiful grounds to explore some sustainable living exhibits and picnic. Gift store has picnic food for sale, but not meals.

Benbow RV Park
http://www.benbowrv.com
More fun to spend time at, but charges the whole night rate of $56, even for just an hour of charging.

Riverwalk RV park
Riverwalk RV |
Only $2.50 an hour for a 50 amp hookup. Call ahead for after-hours access. I might have the site numbers reversed, but of sites 16 and 17, the one closest to the office eventually overheats and the breaker trips at even 30 amps, while the other is reliable at 40 amps.

Eureka
Until its SC opens, the only reliable (and just one!) J1772 I could find was at 4 C St. The homeless hang out there, but it seems (and was) safe to leave the car. Nice (at least for Eureka) area to walk along the dock and into the old downtown. $1/hour ChargePoint 6.0 kW. The only other electric cars I saw in town were an i3 and one Tesla. Didn’t find anything faster than a 14-50 outlet. (Of course, nearby Ferndale’s Victorian Inn has two HPWCs for guests.)

CA 299 vs 36
Eureka to Corning Supercharger over CA-299 can be too long a distance when the temperature is cold. CA-36 is about 20 miles less distance, but is, ahem, “exciting” for a motion-sickness prone family, and doesn’t have a center line in some parts. Ignore the Tesla/Google navigation when going over CA-36! It gets confused, randomly switching between 36 and 299, trying to take not only CA-3 but even some unpaved road covered with snow once! CA-36 can be the fastest route, requiring only a single range charge at Corning or a second supercharge elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made this trip with my family in an 85D after the Petaluma Supercharger was available, but before Ukiah or Eureka was operational. We learned a few things not already covered. Unfortunately, the Petaluma SC is too far south, so I-5 is still much faster -- if you have at least an 85 kWh pack to get over the mountains. We took 101 on the way north, and I-5 back south.

Solar Living Institute Hopland, CA
Solar Living Institute ⋆ Professional Solar Training Since 1998
Besides their existing 50 and 30 amp RV hookups, they added two Tesla-specific chargers. They’re not listed as a Tesla destination charger, and they’re only 40 amps :(. Beautiful grounds to explore some sustainable living exhibits and picnic. Gift store has picnic food for sale, but not meals.

Benbow RV Park
http://www.benbowrv.com
More fun to spend time at than other RV parks, but charges the whole night rate of $56, even for just an hour of charging.

Riverwalk RV park
Riverwalk RV |
Only $2.50 an hour for a 50 amp hookup. Call ahead for after-hours access. I might have the site numbers reversed, but of sites 16 and 17, the one closest to the office eventually overheats and the breaker trips at even 30 amps, while the other is reliable at 40 amps.

Eureka
Until its SC opens, the only reliable (and just one!) J1772 I could find was at 4 C St. The homeless hang out there, but it seems (and was) safe to leave the car. Nice (at least for Eureka) area to walk along the dock and into the old downtown. $1/hour ChargePoint 6.0 kW. The only other electric cars I saw in town were an i3 and one Tesla. Didn’t find anything faster than a 14-50 outlet. Of course, nearby Ferndale’s Victorian Inn has two HPWCs for guests.

CA 299 vs 36
Eureka to Corning Supercharger over CA-299 can be too long a distance when the temperature is cold. CA-36 is about 20 miles less distance, but is, ahem, “exciting” for a motion-sickness prone family, and doesn’t have a center line in some parts. Ignore the Tesla/Google navigation when going over CA-36! It gets confused, randomly switching between 36 and 299, trying to take not only CA-3 but even some unpaved road covered with snow once! CA-36 can be the fastest route, requiring only a single range charge at Corning on the way back south or a second supercharge elsewhere. Getting from Corning to Eureka needs a range charge, especially in the winter. I wouldn't attempt this route in a 70D, especially in the colder winter or inclement weather.

Looking forward to more Superchargers along US 101!

Last edited by a moderator: