Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like no Model X even late this year.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Timetable hasn't changed from recent comments. The Q4 shareholder letter says "volume production in Spring 2015", nothing new there.

I agree that they did not anounce a change in Model X volume production, but I had previously believed they would ship some customer Model X SUVs at the end of 2014. The shareholder letter says: "We expect to have production design Model X prototypes on the road by end of year". That was new to me, maybe not others.

I am OK with them taking the time to get it right. My only concern is if they will get me a Model X before the state of Washington EV sales tax exemption expires in June 2015.

If they expect production design prototypes by the end of the year with significant production in the spring it seems to me that they're expecting a faster production ramp than with Model S (which makes sense).

I want them to get Model X right, I want them to get the world markets up and running, and I want them to build out the Supercharger network... it's not surprising that doing all of that, while still increasing production/quality of Model S, is taking more time than initially (when Model X as announced) expected.

My only concern is if they will get me a Model X before the state of Washington EV sales tax exemption expires in June 2015.
Agree - my first prio is they get the car right; because it is the only right car for me... but within that time envelope I hope they make it before June '15.

Otherwise the Tech Package may become the Tax Package; and of course I'd rather give my $ to Tesla.

Timetable hasn't changed for a while, they've been saying X will be on the road by end of year 2014 and in full production in 2015 for a while now. That said they are getting pretty good at exceed expectations, so wouldn't be surprising if the timetable moves up a bit.

Timetable hasn't changed for a while, they've been saying X will be on the road by end of year 2014 and in full production in 2015 for a while now. That said they are getting pretty good at exceed expectations, so wouldn't be surprising if the timetable moves up a bit.

eh, not so much with the FW update to restore sir suspension lowering.

Actually as recent as 2/1 they had been saying initial deliveries would be end of 2014, and on 2/1 in Oslo Elon said start of volume production would be the end of Q1 2015. Now they are saying production prototypes will be on the road by the end of 2014 and volume production will be Spring 2015 ("Spring" lasts until June 20, 2015), so that is up to 2.5 months later.

Yes, the Model X date slipped when they made their 4Q earnings announcement. Up until yesterday the line was limited PRODUCTION cars in 2014. Now it is prototypes in 2014, and no production cars until "Spring 2015", whatever that means.

I prefer to think of this as Tesla insisting on quality over 'shipping no matter what'. My understanding is that Elon was not happy with some of the final quality of particular design elements and this has reset the clock. (If you've ever been on a design team, you understand exactly how upsetting a decision like this would be.)

Obviously I'm impacted this year (I'm Sig #2 & had every reason to expect delivery in 2014), meaning it's likely I won't have the tax break. And you know what? I'm thrilled Tesla made the right decision. I'm not going to put on those negative goggles and just say 'failing to meet a promise' when I know they're doing exactly the right thing and I wouldn't have it any other way.

- Roadster owner, Model X Signature reservation holder, and stock holder :) (for those who think that matters on these types of opinions)

I prefer to think of this as Tesla insisting on quality over 'shipping no matter what'. My understanding is that Elon was not happy with some of the final quality of particular design elements and this has reset the clock. (If you've ever been on a design team, you understand exactly how upsetting a decision like this would be.)

Obviously I'm impacted this year (I'm Sig #2 & had every reason to expect delivery in 2014), meaning it's likely I won't have the tax break. And you know what? I'm thrilled Tesla made the right decision. I'm not going to put on those negative goggles and just say 'failing to meet a promise' when I know they're doing exactly the right thing and I wouldn't have it any other way.

- Roadster owner, Model X Signature reservation holder, and stock holder :) (for those who think that matters on these types of opinions)
I think that bonnie has the right frame of mind on this. Tesla set the bar pretty high with the Model S (best car most people have ever driven) and if the X is anything less than perfect it will always be not as good as the first one. No way do they want that to happen. The only thing they can do is swing for the back fence and you better know people will be watching for any tiny little flaw. They have to hit this one out of the park again, nothing less will do.