Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tip for Roadster owners who did not opt for the $3000 electronics package:

I did not opt for the electronics package - I planned to add my own radio. While I was getting my radio replaced, I planned to add a built-in garage door opener. The literature around the electronics package all mention the Homelink garage door opener as part of it - I assumed that meant not getting the electronics package meant not getting the garage door opener.

However: (at least in my car) it turns out that the Homelink garage door opener is in fact installed. Navigate to it from the touch screen and train it using a separate opener - it apparently lives underneath the left side of the dashboard. There is no need to add a third party one just because you didn't get the electronics package.

However: (at least in my car) it turns out that the Homelink garage door opener is in fact installed.

Hi Graham. Yes, I too thought I wasn't going to get the homelink garage door opener because I didn't get the upgraded electronics package. As you, I was pleasantly surprised to find it works after all. It works like a charm and is quite easy to access with the touch of a finger on the homelink iconn on the display screen.

Homelink is indeed built-in

When Tesla changed the pricing in January, I suspected that listing the Homelink garage door opener as part of the $3000 car radio might be just a ruse to get people to pay extra for something that was actually a standard built-in component. And it does appear that the Homelink garage door opener is in fact a standard built-in component. Tesla could still have chosen to vandalistically cut the wires just to punish the people who declined to give them the extra $3000, and I'm happy that they didn't.

Well spending technician time on making the car less valuable seems pretty silly to me too, but I suppose as the new interior for the 2010MY they might get a "better" system for separating the two.

Cobos

Last night I attempted driving the Roadster to the condo in Sacramento for the first time (150+ miles away)

Among other things, this necessitated programming a second code into the Homelink garage door opener... not the best UI.

For those not in the know: When you program the first opener into the Roadster, a little "house" icon appears on every VDS screen. No matter what screen you happen to be looking at, opening your garage door is one click away.

When you add a second opener to the VDS, the interface changes: There is still the one house icon on every screen, but when you push it, it brings up a second screen and asks to you choose which door you meant to open.

If you are a person like me who has 2 doors to program, but you only use one of them with any regularity - this interface will quickly become a pain you have to do 2 clicks and make a decision every time you want to open your primary door.

I poked through the menus to see if I could disable the less frequenly used opener so the "one click" button was always my 4-times daily push of my home garage door. It looks like the only way to do this is to actually delete the second opener. This means I would have to reprogram it each once-a-month trip to my condo (a different kind of pain).

It is not a perfect system - but it did function flawlessly. I hope Tesla wil be open to changing the UI in future releases of the firmware.

If possible, Tdave's suggestion is good.

However, this problem suggests a nice software solution for Tesla. They should update the firmware so that the Homelink uses the VDS's GPS and remembers which code to use at which location. This would be similar to how the onboard charger remembers what current to use.

Of course there are the same privacy issues with that GPS as before, but it's a cool bit of added functionality for just a little bit of coding.

Last edited:
However, this problem suggests a nice software solution for Tesla. They should update the firmware so that the Homelink uses the VDS's GPS and remembers which code to use at which location. This would be similar to how the onboard charger remembers what current to use.

Hey I like that idea!

I wonder how accurate the GPS would be for locations near each other. My second code will be for my community front gate, which is a quarter mile away.

By the way...

Anyone know if the car can learn from a remote? Or is it only the typical way, where the opener learns from the remote (which is the car in this case)?

Brilliant Doug!

I think that there is a HomeLink section in the manual. I have not done it yet but was told to hold the remote over the left dash speaker for 30 secs to program the car's HL.

By the way, I did ask about the GPS and our guy was clueless. He did not even know about the car remembering charge sites (even though I noticed later that it says so on the VDS screen)

Graham, why don't you have your condo opener learn the same code as used at your main residence? Then the same code opens both doors.

This is a great idea, but unfortunately it wouldn't work for us. The condo opener is for the communal gate leading to the carport that everyone uses - I can't change that code. I don't think it is the same system as my garage door at home either, so I am not sure I could do the opposite and change my home code to match it if I wanted to.

They should update the firmware so that the Homelink uses the VDS's GPS and remembers which code to use at which location. This would be similar to how the onboard charger remembers what current to use.

This is an even better idea. I will suggest it to Tesla and see what they say.

Programming was a snap. I mentioned to Earl Doug's idea of using the GPS to identify the door by region. He really liked the idea but vaguely questioned that there is a car GPS.

The Roadster reads out compass direction and elevation. Can't imagine the car uses an altimeter, a compass, and then a GPS for remembering charge sites. The GPS is the car's biggest mystery.

Last edited:
The homelink controller is an AUDI Part No HW: 8K0 907 410 A snapped here through the drivers side dash speaker hole.

I have to say; it's the most powerful transmitter I've ever encountered... I think I could open all the garage doors in the town with this!

I didn't order the electronics package but received the homelink; a very pleasant suprise; thanks TM.

Attachments

• Homelink.JPG
    Homelink.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 191