Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Lock Button Request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to start a request for Tesla to place a door lock icon on the main screen panel in the S. The way it is now, we have to go into the controls screen to lock the doors. It would be nice to have a lock button at the top of the screen - it would probably be more important than having a picture of the little battery for those who feel they need to lock the doors and do not want to have to go through a menu.

Not a terrible idea, I can see how some people would like to use it. And unlocking the doors can be confusing for those who don't know that they can just press the handle to get it to eject. But putting the car in Drive or just waiting 20 seconds locks the doors...or at least retracts the handles. Are you wanting this button to do a true "lock" where pressing the outside handles will not allow them to eject? That might be good if you're sitting and waiting inside the car in a sketchy area...

I hope Tesla will eventually re-evaluate the overall button situation. I'm sure it's partly due to time constraints in getting out the first car but - we obviously don't need dedicated buttons for mirror adjustment and rear window lock more than a button to lock and unlock the actual doors.

And I think it would be useful to have one large analog knob on the dash by the screen for adjustments... Thumb wheels are great but they are not always where you left them :) e.g. when you park and now the wheel is upside down...

- Pat

Putting the car in Park extends the handles. It can't be much easier than that, surely?

If you pull up to a person, you need to put the car in park to get the handles, and then have to put the car in drive after the person enters. One extra step.

Or if your waiting for someone to come to the car, you need to do the song and dance to get the car to unlock.

If you pull up to a person, you need to put the car in park to get the handles, and then have to put the car in drive after the person enters. One extra step.

Or if your waiting for someone to come to the car, you need to do the song and dance to get the car to unlock.
You'll still need to stop when picking someone up, put it in park and while they're getting in put it in drive.

Usually the person you're picking up is familiar with the car (yes, an assumption), just teach them to touch the handle from the outside to extend.

To clarify, when sitting in park somewhere sometimes it would be nice to simply touch a lock icon on the main screen instead of going into the control screen. Not a big deal, but any other car on the road has some type of simple locking button, knob, something - that one can push to lock the doors. Another example, as mentioned above, is when pulling out of the garage, one has to put the car into park so the wife can open the door after backing out of the garage part of the way. She gets in outside of the garage as the space is tight with all the yard stuff close to the passenger side.

It's a fine request. I'd also like the "park" button to ALWAYS unlock and extend the handles, even after the car has retracted the handles. When sitting around waiting for the kids, I pull up, put in park, the handles extend. Some short time later they retract. Pressing "park" (the silver button at the end of the stalk) does NOT extend the handles the 2nd time. I think it should. Today one has to shift to D then back to P, or open the drivers door to get them to re-extend.

Putting the car in Park extends the handles. It can't be much easier than that, surely?

You're apparently very lucky in that the people you are picking up are there and waiting for you. In my world, I'm waiting for more than 30 seconds and the handles recess. Then I have to go through a bunch of steps to change screens and find the unlock (small) icon. I've actually taken to leaving the car in drive while I am waiting and putting it in park when they get there. Could be dangerous, but solves the problem of unlocking.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a fine request. I'd also like the "park" button to ALWAYS unlock and extend the handles, even after the car has retracted the handles. When sitting around waiting for the kids, I pull up, put in park, the handles extend. Some short time later they retract. Pressing "park" (the silver button at the end of the stalk) does NOT extend the handles the 2nd time. I think it should. Today one has to shift to D then back to P, or open the drivers door to get them to re-extend.

I believe this is the correct solution.

It took my wife a little time to realize she'd have to put the car in park or open her door to get the passenger door open. I saw her frustration taking away from her Tesla experience.

Hate to see a silly design oversight to diminish anyone's joy with the model S.

I agree with the need for a quick access door lock/unlock button. I recommend adding a PADLOCK SYMBOL ON THE TOP RIBBON OF THE TOUCHSCREEN similar to the icon on the display above the steering wheel. TOUCH PADLOCK SYMBOL AND THE DOORS UNLOCK/LOCK PROVIDING YOU'RE NOT IN MOTION.

I also recommended TESLA add a DROP-DOWN WEATHER FORECAST FEATURE to the touch screen. Tap the displayed temperature (top left corner of the touch screen) and a display of the current location weather forecast pops up by default plus enable a few presets such as home forecast.

You're apparently very lucky in that the people you are picking up are there and waiting for you. In my world, I'm waiting for more than 30 seconds and the handles recess. Then I have to go through a bunch of steps to change screens and find the unlock (small) icon. I've actually taken to leaving the car in drive while I am waiting and putting it in park when they get there. Could be dangerous, but solves the problem of unlocking.

I just flick it back to drive and then press park again. Takes only a second. However, having the handles extend anytime you press park is not a bad idea.

Great idea...as an option, though, please. (If they can do this, then making it optional shouldn't be a problem--yay, software!)

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to start a request for Tesla to place a door lock icon on the main screen panel in the S. The way it is now, we have to go into the controls screen to lock the doors. It would be nice to have a lock button at the top of the screen - it would probably be more important than having a picture of the little battery for those who feel they need to lock the doors and do not want to have to go through a menu.

Good idea, but please not in place of the battery icon (useful to get to the charging screen directly; I rarely pick people up, BTW). In addition.

- - - Updated - - -

I have argued that Tesla should place a small ribbon across the top for "Favorites" that users could select and place there themselves.

100 x yes. :)

I agree that everyone will be happy if only Tesla changed it so that the Park button always unlocked and extended the handles in every situation.

Having the doors only unlock when in Park is a good safety feature.

I love this forum. Great ideas come from our discussions.

The solution of extending the handles whenever the park button is pressed is a simple and elegant solution. Has anyone sent this off to TM yet as a solution?