Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FAO Ames: 2012 – 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, ATC@LWSK - that makes me feel really special. Thanks. Fortunately mine is an '09 so I'm not subject to the recall. I love my FJ, but I have a feeling the old gal might get a little neglected when the MS finally arrives :cool:

IMG_2318.jpg

I have to say my FJ at 96,000 miles is as much fun if not more so than it was when it was new...its ability off-road is unparalleled, there are not that many cars that can make it up these sand dunes. At the same time it's my daily driver and pulls my boat occasionally at the weekends. This one's a keeper, especially considering that in 2014 they are going to stop making them.

In more good news the FJ is the car with the highest resale value in America in 2014 for any car or truck...

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...he-best-resale-value-for-2014.html/?a=viewall

Last edited:
That is a great picture of your FJ Cruiser - stunning! Looking forward to admiring those sand dunes myself in the near future! Now that I see your signature, it says 2009 FJ Cruiser, but I didn't check that before posting. This news just popped up in my news feed, so I thought I'd share.

Did you order a Model S in Abu Dhabi? Now that would be something!!!

ATC@LWSK

There are already a few here. Thanks for the info BTW, my colleague has a 2013 with dual fuel tanks (which is one of those subject to the recall and I just told him...not to park his FJ anywhere near my house, or future MS...hehe) I will be importing direct from the US or Europe. I'm visiting the 'States next week so maybe I'll get me an inventory car.

There are already a few here. Thanks for the info BTW, my colleague has a 2013 with dual fuel tanks (which is one of those subject to the recall and I just told him...not to park his FJ anywhere near my house, or future MS...hehe) I will be importing direct from the US or Europe. I'm visiting the 'States next week so maybe I'll get me an inventory car.

Alright, this caught my attention: you're saying you'll be importing one from the US or Europe! What would you base your decision on, whether to import from one place or the other?

OTOH, you being an American, it would be probably be better if you order one from the States, as you can take it back with you when or if you decide to move back to the US. Unless you decide to move to Europe :) What about electricity and charging, UAE is 220V/50Hz, right? Also important is the fact that you can get an inventory car much easier from the States, especially since you're going there for vacation next week. Wham-bam, find the car with options that you want, get it, and have it shipped to your home in AD. Then fly back, and wait for the precious package, whilst installing charger and setting up documentation! Even if you go for a new car, the one in the States would be cheaper as opposed to one from Europe, but then the shipping to Abu Dhabi....

And last, have you talked about importing and registration of the car to the UAE? Since there are already few of them in AD, I am hoping there won't be any problems....

Price and availability would be major consideration for bringing one back from the states. UAE is 220 V / 50 Hz. What I would lose over the European model is the ability to 3-phase charge. I can get a nema 14-50 setup in my garage which is what I am planning. Charging will only be at home since there is no charging infrastructure to speak of...so the long term risk is when Tesla finally have a presence here and they go European (which I expect) then I won't be able to supercharge because of the menekes style adaptor. By then I'll probably be drooling over a better / newer / cooler / faster Tesla so I'll ship it back the old one to the states and sell it, unless I can find a like-minded technology fanatic here that's been dreaming of owning a Tesla for years...we'll see. Shipping costs < $1,700.

Wow .. Its just amazing ..I love this

LOL; I'll say. Just came back from Las Vegas, had another test drive and this time had my manager with me (who was initially very skeptic but now is an avid fan), and this time I really had a chance to test the performance of a beautiful grey P85 with 21's. Wow, the only comparison that came to my mind was a roller coaster (the world's fastest accelerating roller coaster here in Abu Dhabi of course).

Unfortunately I was not able to pick a suitable inventory car this time.