Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors unreliable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else found that their parking sensors are surprisingly unreliable? And not just in the "this curb is low or obstacle is narrow and isn't seen" kind of way?

I pull into a parking spot where the front wall is a plain, completely flat, solid vertical concrete structure. Maybe once or twice a week the front sensors completely fail to register the wall. Sometimes, if backing in, the sensors go mad, yelling at me to stop when I'm clearly 8-10' away or that I have 20+" to go when I'm basically touching the wall. Once I was able to take a video of it going nuts, which I'll try to dig up. It happens while out and about as well, but the flat solid wall makes it really obvious they're malfunctioning. Sometimes I'll be sitting in a parking spot or at a stop sign with nothing around for a dozen yards or more and the sensors will ding on, registering some phantom obstacle.

They work probably 90% of the time, but I find it hard to even consider trusting them when I know there's a chance they won't work at all.

Has anyone else had similar trouble? My car has so many issues I've been trying to get the SC to concentrate first on the more important ones while I research some of these other lesser issues.

They failed to note a giant post thing the first week I had it and I nailed the black lip under the bumper. Wasn't happy. I originally thought it was just too narrow for the sensors, but they've picked up the same item on subsequent trips, so I think they'd actually failed in that case. Tesla quoted an $800 repair. Ouch.

Yes, unfortunately there's a list. They're working through it, but I'm on a second trip for one of the issues. Zex asked about the other issues I've had so far, so I'll list them briefly in case anyone else wants it. It's a little off-topic, so PM to discuss:
* Loud creaking/grinding in driver's seat: Set to be replaced tomorrow
* Panoramic sunroof buffeting: Corrected by SC
* Side-view mirror folding failures: Issued firmware update, but malfunctions ongoing (rare, though, maybe once a month)
* Walk-away lock failures while charging: Ongoing, seems related to...
* Proximity key unlocking failures while charging: Ongoing and repeatable, set for further investigation tomorrow after failure to correct on previous SC visit
* Car immediately locks and shuts down (sleep mode?) when closing door after inserting charger, failing to even roll up window that last inch: Ongoing, probably related to the above. Left me with a window stuck open the other day. The SC had to walk me through a full hard reset to get it working again. If it weren't raining it would have been funny: every time the door opened it'd go down another inch, but wouldn't go back up. The manual control switch on the door didn't work at all. Reset process worked, though, and that was suggested very quickly so I'm thankful for that.
* Poor quality from hands-free microphone, even if sitting still: Contacted by SC manager for more info, will get looked at when they have a chance
* Proximity sensor malfunctions: Ongoing, SC not yet notified

Last edited:
Has anyone else found that their parking sensors are surprisingly unreliable?
Not surprisingly my parking sensors have been completely unreliable. They've never worked going all the way back to when I took delivery. ;)

(For the "press", bloggers, and the humor impaired: I have a Signature vehicle that was built before parking sensors were made available.)

Not surprisingly my parking sensors have been completely unreliable. They've never worked going all the way back to when I took delivery.

Are your failures more when the objects are difficult to detect (low curbs or thin poles/signs), or failures where the sensors should have easily picked up the object?

Edit: Ha. No signatures on the mobile site so I didn't notice that. ;-)

Last edited:
Mine works well every time. I use them almost on a daily basis, I too have a solid wall wich I park up front. Car reqon this wall every time and a sound bell is giving a STOP alarm when almost too close (4 inch). Yet to see them failing.

(I dont keep a "list", every bit of the car works wel, the charge port antenna could however be improved)

My front sensors sometimes pickup something on the flat road, on the right lane (RHD car). Maybe picking up cat's eyes... Have any of you noticed this? Is mine too sensitive? When it senses something it usually displays an arc on the right side, but no warning sound.

Another issue I found was that it only works in one direction? When I'm in reverse I want to know objects in the back AND front as well. If I'm going forward, I'm OK with objects only in front. Most other cars do this bi-directional detection in reverse.

My aftermarket sensors will sometimes beep on the right side at what I think are phantom objects. However, it is just a short one time beep, not like the continuous beeps when you get close to a pillar or other car when parking. It may be in the nature of the sensitivity setting that will register more false positives and fewer (hopefully no) false negatives.

My main issue with the sensors is that they're slow to respond. By the time they tell me something (and i'm not going fast) it would be too late. I have to go unnaturally slow to get them to be useful/helpful. Just wondering if they put too slow a chip in the car to handle it.

My main issue with the sensors is that they're slow to respond. By the time they tell me something (and i'm not going fast) it would be too late. I have to go unnaturally slow to get them to be useful/helpful. Just wondering if they put too slow a chip in the car to handle it.
When I'm worried about hitting something I'm usually going unnaturally slow anyway, just to allow for an immediate stop. My sensors STILL routinely fail completely (as noted in the first post), though, despite having been looked at by Tesla at least 2-3 times. I just gave up on them. They're useless.

I've only had them in a service loaner. They beeped way to much at card gates and ATMs. I've found the wing mirrors and backup camera to be better. Had the sensors been available when I purchased my car I probably would have ordered them, but now that I've driven the car for awhile, they seem unnecessary.

When I'm worried about hitting something I'm usually going unnaturally slow anyway, just to allow for an immediate stop. My sensors STILL routinely fail completely (as noted in the first post), though, despite having been looked at by Tesla at least 2-3 times. I just gave up on them. They're useless.

Hmm, mine aren't that bad. Not great but better than nothing. They're really helpful backing into my garage.