Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you'd be best off with a 2nd set of wheels and winter tires mounted? Just checked Tire Rack, and while I'm impressed that they have the Tesla Roadster in their database, they don't have any wheels to fit it:

Wheels for 2008 Tesla Roadster

What are the stock tire sizes on the Roadster? It seems the spec sheet on Tesla's website is missing that info...

Tire rack only reports the stock Yokohamas for the Roadster:

Compare Tire Search Results

Which claim to be "Extreme Performance Summer." And man are they expensive... Don't have the time now, but it would be worth searching the sizes individually to see what's out there, even if non-matching brands. Or you can always go off-size if there are a set of tires close enough...

There was a good thread about selecting non-stock tire sizes for my MR2 here:

OEM sized tires for MR2 Spyder - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

RGB,

I am sure Craig /TM munich will tell us a "working solution". Last time he was here with the electric blue VP, he had Pirelli snow tires mounted on it, but told that there are "some problems" - as they are not completely the same size as the summer tires - with the software and the "parameters" of the car?

On the note of winter tires, I imagined removing the wheels. Then I realized, I wouldn't have the tools to:

http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/gallery/article.html?slideshow=0&a=111251&i=11

Torx of some kind? Do they supply a lug nut remover? Probably not, since fix-a-flat is the substitute for a spare, right?
You need a spline tool. It's a similar to idea to torx, but a different shape. Spline tools are not too hard to find. There's probably a hex to spline adapter in the little tool bag they give you. Not sure, though.

The Roadster owner's manual, page 82, describes the TR0055 "locking wheel bolt adapter" (located in the tool kit) which converts to a more typical 17mm socket / wheel wrench.

The Roadster owner's manual, page 82, describes the TR0055 "locking wheel bolt adapter" (located in the tool kit) which converts to a more typical 17mm socket / wheel wrench.
Of course the "locking wheel bolt adapter" is for the keyed lug bolt (one per wheel). The "wheel bolt extension tool" is probably what they're calling the spline tool.

Tesla tool Kit

The Roadster comes with a (small) tool kit, with an appropriate driver for the lug bolts and a "key" for the locking one. No actual wrench handle, though, and no jack, since you have no spare to put on. I can see an awkwardness if you want to pull a wheel with a flat tire and hitch a ride to a tire store, but I gues they figure the good samaritan that stops to give you a ride also has a jack and wrench handle.

RGB,

I am sure Craig /TM munich will tell us a "working solution". Last time he was here with the electric blue VP, he had Pirelli snow tires mounted on it, but told that there are "some problems" - as they are not completely the same size as the summer tires - with the software and the "parameters" of the car?

No doubt they will have something in place when time comes and Craig will let us know. Was just wondering if Tesla might even offer something at this point already.

But I guess if worst comes to worst you can always put snow chains on the summer tires. :D

Aftermarket Tires & Rims

Unfortunately TM is unable to provide winter tires and wheels at the moment. Here in Austria winter tires are mandatory as of Nov. 1st. Since I don't like the idea of having my car grounded in a couple of weeks I was wondering what my options are as far as aftermarket parts are concerned.
Can I just go for anything that works on the Elise? Anything I need to watch out for or pay attention to?
Does anyone know?

The Elise is a 4 bolt pattern, the Roadster is a 5 bolt, so that's a no go.

There's a discussion on the owners forum about this:

http://www.teslamotors.com/owners/forum/index.php?topic=291.0

That was some time ago, and in the US, so the situation may be different now, and certainly might be different in Europe. One of the guys had custom wheels made, and now that the engineering is done getting additional sets shouldn't be a problem. The links he provided didn't work for me, but the company is here:

FIKSE USA - aluminum rims, chroma, classic, profil, Porsche wheels, race wheels, light alloy wheels, light alloy rims, aluminum wheels, FISKE, 3-D view, forged modular, multi-piece, multiple pieces, rim protector, forging technology, forged rims

Please post your results, I'm interested in pursuing this myself, although I don't have the immediacy you're facing!

I have the same problem in Sweden. I bought silver rims with the Roadster and want to buy black rims to use with winter tires. I like the look of both and that way I will get both.

I have talked to my sales rep about this from the day I ordered. At one point I got a price of 1800EUR for a set of rims, but now the sales rep are avoiding the question.

Does anyone know which company make the rims that comes with the Roadster? Maybe we could buy from the supplier, with TMs blessing of course.
This makes me a little scared. What happens when we need other spare parts?

I'm also looking for a decent winter configuration. The sales rep. told me they didn't have a winter set (wheels an d tires) and i should get the tires myself:

Tesla (the sales rep) recommended as follows:

Front
Pirelli 210 Snowsport 195/50 R16

Rear
Pirelli 240 Snowsport 215/45 R17

It seems the sizes do not match the specifications in the owners manual 2010
F: 175/55 R16
R: 225/45 R 17

I googled some tire- tests and i have the impression, that the tires do not perform so well on snow and ice.

Has anyone some suggestions ?... snow is falling....

Nice. I know this is not going to add any valuable information to the discussion but I find it rather....umm....bold to deliver cars to regions that have wintery conditions for a few months every year without that being sortet out.
I, as well, have been asking about that almost since the day I ordered and was told that it wasn't going to be a problem and the price was going to be roughly 2000,- Euro. Now I can't even get the rims and my 130.000,- Euro ride will have to sit in a garage in a couple of weeks.