Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cupholder and iPhone Mount for Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I use my Roadster to commute everyday, I have been missing a functional cupholder and a cell phone mount for my iPhone 5s. Here is what I did ---- very inexpensive yet very functional my purpose. I keep the cupholder and the phone mount permanently in its place, and it hasn't bothered my passengers. Both my coffee mug and iPhone are super accessible from the driver seat.

CUP HOLDER:

Amazon.com: Trademark Poker Jumbo Aluminum Poker Table Cup Holder (Black): Sports Outdoors

photo 2.JPG

IPHONE MOUNT

Amazon.com: iOttie HLCRIO102 One Touch Windshield Dashboard Universal Car Mount Holder for iPhone 4S/5/5S/5C, Galaxy S4/S3/S2, HTC One - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones Accessories

photo 1.JPG

Love the cupholder. I ordered one and love it. Instead of always fiddling with the flimsy little arms, I now have a semi-permanent holder sitting there. Love it! And thank you for the recommendation. So simple and so useful.

Did I mention I love it?

Looks great but I don't understand how the phone mount attaches to the car. Following the link you posted leads to a page showing a mount that uses a suction cup. What surface in the car are you attaching the suction cup to? The side of the center console? Your photo doesn't show where the mount attaches to. Thanks!

Since I use my Roadster to commute everyday, I have been missing a functional cupholder and a cell phone mount for my iPhone 5s. Here is what I did ---- very inexpensive yet very functional my purpose.

IPHONE MOUNT

Amazon.com: iOttie HLCRIO102 One Touch Windshield Dashboard Universal Car Mount Holder for iPhone 4S/5/5S/5C, Galaxy S4/S3/S2, HTC One - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones Accessories

View attachment 43566

Last edited:
In 2009 I designed the aluminum bracket for a Proclip mount as shown in this picture. At the top it fits into one of the two slots that you can see it the upper surface of the 1.5 car's tray in the photos earlier in this thread, and holds in place by compression. I had a couple dozen of them made, all of which were sold. I can provide the CAD drawing if someone wants to make one.

bracket-photo.jpg

I purchased this phone mounting system for my Roadster, it seems ideal:
Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7)/Plus (5.5) /5s/5c, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3/Note 4/3, Google Nexus 5/4, LG G3 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones Accessories

The suction cup grip is very strong and adheres well to the side of the 1.5 center console. The mounting arm can be rotated a variety of ways and can extend an additional two inches. Here are some photos:

62c78ce78e597a31798a8bd221fc1b22.jpg

c7d9d22527e74a84facf0b9af4292849.jpg

I run Waze most of the time and this phone mount makes it easy to glance at the screen and see what the route is or what traffic is coming up.

I power my phone from the 12V source and use a RCA mini jack-to-30 pin adaptor cable to play music podcasts on my phone through the car speakers.

Last edited:
I purchased this phone mounting system for my Roadster, it seems ideal:
Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7)/Plus (5.5) /5s/5c, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3/Note 4/3, Google Nexus 5/4, LG G3 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones Accessories

The suction cup grip is very strong and adheres well to the side of the 1.5 center console. The mounting arm can be rotated a variety of ways and can extend an additional two inches. Here are some photos:

62c78ce78e597a31798a8bd221fc1b22.jpg

c7d9d22527e74a84facf0b9af4292849.jpg

I run Waze most of the time and this phone mount makes it easy to glance at the screen and see what the route is or what traffic is coming up.p

I power my phone from the 12V source and use a RCA mini jack-to-30 pin adaptor cable to play music podcasts on my phone through the car speakers.

Curious why didn't you just mount the phone with the suction cup mount to the windshield? That's where I put mine and I mainly run Waze. That way I don't take my eyes off the Road when viewing the map. I'd be afraid of looking down that low while driving.

I understand the desire to have the phone display more at eye level but I don't like attaching anything to the windshield and obstructing my view, and I don't want the phone to stick up above the dash either. I find it easy to glance down slightly for half a second and then return to looking at the road. Having the phone at or above the level of the dash makes it more of a distraction.

Different strokes for different folks...

Right, mounting wherever you're not distracted and have good visibility of the road is the best placement. Which is different for everyone. Interesting enough, its "illegal" where I have mine mounted, center, for California. They want you to mount it in either corner of the windshield which I find more of a distraction and obstruction of my view.

GPS navi on windshield may be illegal in your state

Its interesting in that debate of windshield obstruction. Such as for the state of PA, I grew up there. You can't put any stickers on your car's windows at all. You also can't put a GPS unit on the front windshield. However the state can put 2 big inspection stickers right in the front of the windshield of where the driver is. Also ever see those stupid warnings about airbags / seat belts on cars, those are huge on the drivers side and nobody reads those. But if you put a surf sticker on the back window or put your GPS on the inside of the front window you're breaking the law.

But we live in a society where in California a police officer can use their laptop while driving, hit a bicyclist, kill them, and get away without being charged with involuntary manslaughter due to the laptop distraction. Due to that's allowed for use in their job. Odd. So in essence they're above the law.

I thought about attaching the mount suction cup to the top center surface of the dash and turning the phone horizontally and positioning it as low as possible above the dash, but aesthetically it spoiled the look of the dash, and then the two cables running from near the floor up to the phone looked messy, plus the phone screen could be harder to read in full sun from certain angles, so it didn't seem like a good solution.

Slcasner's mount is great and I highly recommend it for 1.5 owners. I used both it and his front license plate tow hook attached mount on my roadster (which incidently is still available for sale) for several years now and couldn't be happier with them.

The Airframe is interesting. But the Roadster vent louvers move so easily, is the Airframe stable enough? Photos?

I've been using mine for several months with no problems. By turning the vent "upside down" so that the louvers are fully open when lowered, everything is quite stable. Here are a couple of photos.

DSC02027.jpg
DSC02028.jpg

Last edited: