Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prototype rear lighted T under development: questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oznium is now working with me on a beta for the rear lighted T. The basic design will be similar to the front lighted T, but the size and curvature of the rear T is different so new injection molds will have to be made. We will use red LEDS and the PCB will incorporate a switch that's connected to the brake lights. When the rear lights are on, the T will also be on and when the brakes are applied the T will light at a brighter intensity, just like the brake lights.

Installation will require drilling two very small holes in the rear panel under the T and making connections to the brake lights. As my goal is to make installation as simple as possible, I'm curious about connections to the brake lights. The obvious choice would be the LED strip over the rear window, but I beleive that would require removing the plastic trim around the lift gate. Does anyone know where the brake light connections may be in the lift gate and how we might be able to avoid removing the trim to access them? There's a black piece under the rear chrome appliqué that appears to be held in place with four screws. This piece holds the two license plate lamps and extends the length of the appliqué. I'm going to remove that this weekend to see what's there in the way of connections that might work. But I'm hoping someone else may already have knowledge of these connections and be able to provide some advice. Thanks!

Sounds interesting! I would think that the 'simplest' connection would be to install the lighted T -- drop down the wires to the license plate power supply. When you take things apart, you might want to look at that feasibility as well. It doesnt give the extra light when braking, but would be easily illuminated, and may be simpler to manufacture.

Sounds interesting! I would think that the 'simplest' connection would be to install the lighted T -- drop down the wires to the license plate power supply. When you take things apart, you might want to look at that feasibility as well. It doesnt give the extra light when braking, but would be easily illuminated, and may be simpler to manufacture.

As the license plate lights come on at night with the taillights that's a very good solution and one I'll implement if we can't trigger the T with the brake lights.

As the license plate lights come on at night with the taillights that's a very good solution and one I'll implement if we can't trigger the T with the brake lights.
Artsci,
this is very cool although I've been working with my local SC manager on having the "T E S L A" light up on the chrome back piece that connects the backup tail lights...the challenge has been to laser cut the letters out, but he seems to have the wiring, lighting and the mold to fill in the lettering complete. Happy to make an intro offline as his wiring knowledge may come in handy if you want to PM me...

Artsci,
this is very cool although I've been working with my local SC manager on having the "T E S L A" light up on the chrome back piece that connects the backup tail lights...the challenge has been to laser cut the letters out, but he seems to have the wiring, lighting and the mold to fill in the lettering complete. Happy to make an intro offline as his wiring knowledge may come in handy if you want to PM me...

Just sent a PM.

Here's a photo of the piece I was referring to in the earlier post. I'll remove it this weekend to see what power connections are available to light the rear T.

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 11.29.36 AM.png

Here's a photo of the piece I was referring to in the earlier post. I'll remove it this weekend to see what power connections are available to light the rear T.

Sorry for the off topic question, but what did you use to color in the TESLA letters on the chrome strip? (can see it in your picture of the license lights) I've been wanting to do that but am unsure of what to use.

Rick, from what I can remember, the screws you've pointed to on the black strip may not do much for you. Two are simply for the back up camera and it'll simply loosen it so it can be pulled out from behind. The other four will simply loosen the black strip which, if I remember, is attached to the chrome piece.

Your best bet will be to remove the trim pieces. They're simply held in by a few strategic screws which are revealed once a few trim pieces "pop" off. Pretty simple DIY project. We've got a MS coming in today and tomorrow...I can try and take some photos for you when I get a chance.

Rick, from what I can remember, the screws you've pointed to on the black strip may not do much for you. Two are simply for the back up camera and it'll simply loosen it so it can be pulled out from behind. The other four will simply loosen the black strip which, if I remember, is attached to the chrome piece.

Your best bet will be to remove the trim pieces. They're simply held in by a few strategic screws which are revealed once a few trim pieces "pop" off. Pretty simple DIY project. We've got a MS coming in today and tomorrow...I can try and take some photos for you when I get a chance.

Photos would be great!

The rear lighted T has been designed and is entering production now. First up will be a number of betas for testing on my car and one or two others. It will have circuitry for two levels of brightness: running and brakes on.

Power will be supplied via the rear LEDS on the top of the lift gate window. Wiring will require drilling of one small hole each under the T and arch and removal of the plastic trim on the lift gate. I'll be doing a test installation and video with another owner in about 30 days.

The rear lighted T has been designed and is entering production now. First up will be a number of betas for testing on my car and one or two others. It will have circuitry for two levels of brightness: running and brakes on.

Power will be supplied via the rear LEDS on the top of the lift gate window. Wiring will require drilling of one small hole each under the T and arch and removal of the plastic trim on the lift gate. I'll be doing a test installation and video with another owner in about 30 days.

Great! I'll probably be interested in this too. I gotta get around to installing the front one still haha

I would be happy to beta test. I have bought all of your other projects so I might as well join in here too!

Noted, as with the others.

At this stage I'm not sure how many betas will be produced so I can't make firm commitments. SUPRKAR will be one for sure, as he has provided valuable technical info on these various projects. In fact, once we have the betas we'll be meeting at the Delaware supercharger to do an collaborative installation of rear lighted T and the camera switch, shooting video of the installations. If others want to join us there I'm sure it can be arranged.

Noted, as with the others.

At this stage I'm not sure how many betas will be produced so I can't make firm commitments. SUPRKAR will be one for sure, as he has provided valuable technical info on these various projects. In fact, once we have the betas we'll be meeting at the Delaware supercharger to do an collaborative installation of rear lighted T and the camera switch, shooting video of the installations. If others want to join us there I'm sure it can be arranged.
ARTSCI, please count me in and let me know when is the meetup in Delaware.