Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side mirror trim rubbing paint off door jambs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check your paint on the front door jambs by the side mirror trim. My trim is rubbing away the paint. Driver side is completely through to the metal and the passenger side is getting there. The wear point is visible on the chrome as well. Service is looking at it this week.

IMG_20140213_135634.jpg

IMG_20140213_135654.jpg

The first pic is an extreme close up of the door jamb (on the car's body) at the end of the A-pillar just below where the chrome body trim ends. Its the point where the front fender, A-pillar, and side mirror trim come together. The chip is approximately 3/8" in diameter. The second pic is the end of the mirror chrome showing the two points making contact with the body. The chrome is perfectly clean and dried, those discolorations are from contact with the body. There are two spots, the upper-center point matches where the paint is worn through to bare metal and the lower-left matches a spot showing wear but has not broken through the paint yet. You have to open the door, crouch down, and look up slightly to see the location. Service center reports the doors need to be adjusted slightly. I have 14,000 miles on my car and it's an early vin, P02205.

Below is a pic of the loaner from a similar angle.

IMG_20140217_182633.jpg

I just checked both front doors after reading your post and I see no defects like yours. With the doors closed, I can easily slip a thin piece of cardboard (cereal box top) between the end of the chrome strip and the body. And at the extreme open position, I can easily insinuate the tip of my pinky. So perhaps service is right about the doors needing adjustment.

Last edited:
I had rubbing issues similar to yours, but mine was on the hood. It was not enough to scratch down to bare metal, but enough to create some scratches on the top triangular edge of the hood onto the side panel. Brought it up during service and they readjusted the hood so it is no longer touching. Definitely bring this up to your service advisor.