Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Rial Lugano 19" wheels bent in two weeks - are they up to the task?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vgrinshpun

Supporting Member
Apr 5, 2013
PA
After encountering two modest pot holes in two weeks I have four bent Rial Lugano wheels. The wheels were bent in pairs (front and back) on each occasion. The Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 winter tires mounted on the wheels were not damaged. Both front rims were not only bent, but also gouged after apparently hitting brake component bolts on the bottom of the wheel. I have never had incidents like that in my many years of driving, even after hitting larger pot holes, with what seemed to be more severe impacts. None of the aluminum alloy wheels (max size 18") were damaged after other incidents. I am starting to wonder if Rial Lugano wheels are made with inferior aluminum alloy and are not up to task with a heavy car, like Model S. I am particularly concerned that a moderate impact is able to bent the wheel enough to allow brake components bolts hit the inside of the wheel. Does anybody else having problems with Rial Lugano wheels? I am wondering if switching to 4x more expensive Tesla 19" turbine wheels is a solution, or they will be as vulnerable to pot hole impacts as Rial Lugano wheels, just at quadrupled cost?

Last edited:
After encountering two modest pot holes in two weeks I have four bent Rial Lugano wheels. The wheels were bent in pairs (front and back) on each occasion. The Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 winter tires mounted on the wheels were not damaged. Both front rims were not only bent, but also gouged after apparently hitting brake component bolts on the bottom of the wheel. I have never had incidents like that in my many years of driving, even after hitting larger pot holes, with what seemed to be more severe impacts. None of the aluminum alloy wheels (max size 18") were damaged after other incidents. I am starting to wonder if Rial Lugano wheels are made with inferior aluminum alloy and are not up to task with a heavy car, like Model S. I am particularly concerned that a moderate impact is able to bent the wheel enough to allow brake components bolts hit the inside of the wheel. Does anybody else heaving problems with Rial Lugano wheels? I am wondering if switching to 4x more expensive Tesla 19" turbine wheels is a solution, or they will be as vulnerable to pot hole impacts as Rial Lugano wheels, just at quadrupled cost?

No issues with my Luganos, but I thought I would point out that Blizzak LM60s do not meet the load requirements of the Model S. I don't know if that means you are more likely to have an impact come through to the wheels or not, but that could be linked. Someone more knowledgeable about tires might we able to offer more insight.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have these as well, but no potholes yet to test What tire pressure were you running? 45 profile is pretty hard to damage if it's setup correctly
I am running 45 lbs on all four corners, checking the pressure weekly. I believe that there was no damage to tires because I am very diligent with the pressure. Couple of pounds less could have resulted in blown tires as well.

No issues with my Luganos, but I thought I would point out that Blizzak LM60s do not meet the load requirements of the Model S. I don't know if that means you are more likely to have an impact come through to the wheels or not, but that could be linked. Someone more knowledgeable about tires might we able to offer more insight.

Correct, they do not, where did you get the tires?

The LM60 meet the required load rating, but at maximum pressure of 44 lbs vs. Tesla specified 45. I do not think that the load rating of tire would affect the wheel, it just would have higher propensity for a blow-out as compared to a higher load-rated tire, all other things equal.

Last edited:
Correct, they do not, where did you get the tires?

The tires and wheels came from Tire Rack.

I am not sure where the insufficient load rating remarks are coming from. The LM60 are rated 1653 lbs, which is HIGHER than 1565 lbs rating of both 21" Continental DW and Michelins PS2 that come with the 21" wheels options on Model S.

Last edited:
have you contacted Tire Rack to see if they are warrant-able? If the tires made it through OK and the wheels did not come in contact with the road, that's very disappointing! how deep was the pot hole? This is the first I've heard of wheels bending without tire damage and the first issue of this kind with these wheels on TMC, lets hope it was just a bad batch of aluminum!

The LM60 meet the required load rating, but at maximum pressure of 44 lbs vs. Tesla specified 45. I do not think that the load rating of tire would affect the wheel, it just would have higher propensity for a blow-out as compared to a higher load-rated tire, all other things equal.

Ah, [email protected] is who mentioned it on another thread. Must have been due to max pressure rating.

have you contacted Tire Rack to see if they are warrant-able? If the tires made it through OK and the wheels did not come in contact with the road, that's very disappointing! how deep was the pot hole? This is the first I've heard of wheels bending without tire damage and the first issue of this kind with these wheels on TMC, lets hope it was just a bad batch of aluminum!

I did not think much of it after the first incident, just ordered two replacement wheels from the Tire Rack. Now, after the second incident, I do plan to call them on Monday to see if this can be addressed under warranty.

I was also surprised that aluminum wheels could be bent like this without damage to the tires, but according to the tire place I use for many years it is not uncommon.

We have nokian haakas r7's mounted on our tesla 19" turbines. We live on a 3 mile gravel road that just because of the time of the year and snow melt off right now has a few pot holes. Both the tires and wheels are doing fantastic. I just took them in about a week or so ago for my thousand mile rotate. (I know a bit overkill but I have a good guy at my local les schwab that does it for me for free and with odd wear on the tires and where we live he recommended it)

I have hit only a few potholes over here in Western PA with my Luganos, but haven't experienced any problems. My tires are the Michelin X-Ice Xi3s.

I would be more than willing to buy a set of Grey OEM 19" Turbine wheels from Tesla, if they would only offer them.

Vgrinshpun, what speed did you hit the pothole with, and do you have air or coil suspension? I have air suspension, just for comparison.

I have air suspension; both incidents were after hitting pot holes at 30 - 35 mph.

Did you buy your wheels from Tire Rack and when they were shipped - I am wondering if we have wheels from the same batch or not. My wheels were shipped by Tire Rack on October 29.

Last edited:
yikes. that's not very fast....I wouldn't want to hit them at 65mph...

Yes, this thought did cross my mind... For now, until the dust settles a bit and I decide what to do next, I am suffering indignity of driving my Infiniti gas burner. BTW, after talking with Tesla SC, the 19" turbine wheels "is our most resilient wheel option".