Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors Gone from Model X on Tesla Motors Page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As pointed out by Remnant on teslamotors.com's Model X thread, the pictures of the Model X on Tesla's Model X page no longer show mirrors. Neither do they show up on our personal Tesla page where it shows our Model X reservation - awesome! My guess is it may be a $ extra when configuring.

Model X | Tesla Motors

Regulations in the United States have required mirrors in the past.
I will be pleasantly shocked if this changed.

I suspect that this is simply a graphical glitch showing an earlier concept.

I think NHTSA may be reconsidering rear view mirror regulations. Removing them would be very helpful to meeting their 54 mpg CAFE regulations. Without a way to meet 54 mpg, the regs could get relaxed during the mid-term review. Advanced tech to insure durability and provide acceptable fail modes for cameras could complete the perfect storm to remove the mirror requirement.

GSP

Woot! Made my morning. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 5.19.44 AM.jpg

I will be surprised if the multiple images and animations of the X on that web page are missing the side mirrors because of a "graphical glitch". Looks intentional to me. Note that in place of traditional side view mirrors there are tiny stalks, just a few inches long. Obviously where little video cameras are mounted.

Very cool. The car looks so much better without bulky side mirrors. I understand that US DOT rules currently require side mirrors. But maybe the times really are a changing.

I bet Tesla really didn't want to offer power folding mirrors on the Model S but caved to demand. The wiring they'd prefer is not to little electric motors but to little cameras!

I will be surprised if the multiple images and animations of the X on that web page are missing the side mirrors because of a "graphical glitch". Looks intentional to me. Note that in place of traditional side view mirrors there are tiny stalks, just a few inches long. Obviously where little video cameras are mounted.

Very cool. The car looks so much better without bulky side mirrors. I understand that US DOT rules currently require side mirrors. But maybe the times really are a changing.

This would be somewhat problematic in rain and snow as well.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Considering that my rear view camera becomes useless within minutes of driving in snow (or rain), if Tesla want to use cameras instead of side mirrors they will absolutely have to provide some means of keeping the lens clean.

It would be great if they can pull it off in non-californian climes.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Considering that my rear view camera becomes useless within minutes of driving in snow (or rain), if Tesla want to use cameras instead of side mirrors they will absolutely have to provide some means of keeping the lens clean.

Agree completely. Just drove through Alberta and back up cam was useless the whole time as simply very dirty from...slushy snowy muddy mess.

^^^^ This ^^^^

The placement of the rear camera lens is probably the worst spot possible, beside right behind the tire facing forward.

I would not be surprised if a camera placed higher, and by the side of the car will be much easier to keep clean.

All that said, I still believe it is an error and the side mirrors will return by Tuesday.

^^^^ This ^^^^

This problem has already been solved elsewhere, when glass gets too busy with water/dirt only a high speed rotating clear glass/lens works, and it works great.They just need to make one for rear view cameras where turbulence is an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_view_screen