Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opticoat - Toronto, GTA, Peterborough, Belleville, Kingston area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A large geographic area, to be sure.

I'd like to have my replacement Model S opticoated as soon as I pick it up. Any recommendations in or around any of these areas?
I've got a message into Hamzah at "Get Detailed", but want to be sure I do all my homework before I commit.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
A.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

How are you finding your opti-coat applications? What does it protect from (in real life usage, not what's promoted online to sell!).

I'm worried about scratches from my kids, and stone damage on the road. How well will opti-coat protect? @bsd suggested a wrap might provide better protection? Anyone here have their cars wrapped?

I appreciate the help and advice!

Thanks for the tips everyone.

How are you finding your opti-coat applications? What does it protect from (in real life usage, not what's promoted online to sell!).

I'm worried about scratches from my kids, and stone damage on the road. How well will opti-coat protect? @bsd suggested a wrap might provide better protection? Anyone here have their cars wrapped?

I appreciate the help and advice!

The wrap and opti coat are for different things. The wrap is for protection against stone chips. It's a urethane film. I had it applied to all the leading edges of my Tesla. It is not cheap, but it seems very resistant to road debris. On my other car when I purchased it it had a clear bra but it was poorly applied so I had it redone. From what I can gather the film is for stones and the opti coat is for paint, to make it easier to maintain and harder to scratch. To clear bra an entire car seems like it would be hugely expensive and unnecessary. I did clear film on my front end and opti coat on everything else and it seems to be working well.

The wrap and opti coat are for different things. The wrap is for protection against stone chips. It's a urethane film. I had it applied to all the leading edges of my Tesla. It is not cheap, but it seems very resistant to road debris. On my other car when I purchased it it had a clear bra but it was poorly applied so I had it redone. From what I can gather the film is for stones and the opti coat is for paint, to make it easier to maintain and harder to scratch. To clear bra an entire car seems like it would be hugely expensive and unnecessary. I did clear film on my front end and opti coat on everything else and it seems to be working well.

Where around Toronto did you get the clear film done and what ballpark cost was it?

Where around Toronto did you get the clear film done and what ballpark cost was it?

I got the film from the guy Kevin works with, Marco. I think his business name is Advanced Films. He did my entire bumper, hood, fenders and lights. Not the strip, the whole panels. It was ~1500 dollars. He will do the strip on the front for much less money but I wanted to avoid the lines and seams.

googled him, here you go: Advanced Mobile Group - Paint Protection Film - serving Toronto, Woodbridge – Mississauga – GTA - Southern Ontario

So - Kevin at GTA in Detail was amazing. I picked up my new car today. Jon commented that it was the most flawless Tesla he's ever seen. No matter how hard you look, you can't seen a blemish, spot, swirl...anything.

Tesla was awesome. When they received my car, they trailered it over to Kevin. He did the work and they came and picked it up again.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I'll send anyone who asks over to Kevin.

Noob question-I pick up my car in 8 days (!!), and was thinking of getting this done.

Can it be done essentially anytime? or does it have to be done ASAP after delivery? From what I've read for a "not brand new" car they will buff out any swirl marks and then apply the opticoat....
Just trying to figure out scheduling if I have to leave it there for a day or two.

It can be done anytime. Easier to have it done on delivery, though. I had Tesla bring it to Kevin when they received it. It saved Tesla time because they didn't have to do the finishing work, and it made the car perfect for delivery. I'm sure Jon can arrange it - he was so great to arrange things for me.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - the results will be worth the wait. I'm thrilled with the job done on mine...

What was the timing like?
ie: Delivery date was 15, but Tesla dropped off car on the 13, so they can coat the car for 2 days.

Did you pick up the car from Kevin at GTAInDetails? or Jon at a Tesla location?
Who brings the car back from GTAInDetail to Tesla?

I'm kind of a stickler for details, but it'll help us noobs plan for pickup.