Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Powder Coated Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see any previous threads discussing having the stock Roadster wheels powder coated. My roadster came with stock silver wheels and looked great, but I wanted to have more contrast between the wheels and the body so had the wheels powder coated. I had never investigated getting wheels powder coated and surprisingly found that there are not many choices in my area for getting a quality job done. After quite a bit of searching and asking around I found a place that would do them. The most difficult part of the job according to the shop was getting the existing coating off without damaging the wheels. Apparently the existing coating is quite durable.

While the car was wheel-less, I upgraded to Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

I'm quite happy with the results.

Silver Black Wheels M.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen threads discussing cost for powder coating Model S wheels where the cost per wheel was mentioned as $50 to $100. I had trouble even finding a shop to do the work in my area and could have saved some money by shipping the wheels to another state that has more options. In the end I paid more, kept the business local and found someone who could help me out on future projects. As a result, my cost was closer to double the high side of Model S wheels. The cost went up when the shop had to send the wheels out to be plastic bead blasted to get the existing coating off without damaging the wheels. They said the existing clear coat appeared to be a powder coat (I don't know if this is true).

I also had the shop replace the old tires with Continental Extreme Contacts while they were at it.

Last edited:
I wanted a complete black-out look for the wheels except for the Tesla logo center caps, so discussed options with my shop for the lug bolts and air stems. For the lug bolts, I wound up ordering a new black color set from Elise-Shop.com. For the air stems I had the shop paint the barrel black as these would not stand up to the powder coat baking process.

What did you do for the anti-theft bolts?

He probably skipped the anti-theft bolts. I actually ordered 4 regular bolts and replaced them on my car. I swap wheels quite often and they are (a) a pain and (b) fragile. Also most thieves are probably not carrying around the right adapter to take out the regular bolts. (And I've never heard of wheels being stolen in this town - they just steal the whole car.)

Appears there's a BMW M3 lug bolt that's equivalent:
Lotus Elise Modification, Installing BMW Lug Nuts

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/bmw-wheel-bolts-perfect-fit-they-black-6109/

Lot of 12 on ebay for $22 + $9 shipping:
Lots of 12 Wheel Lug Bolt for BMW 36 13 1 095 390 | eBay

lugnuts2.jpg

As for wheel / tire theft I don't think the Tesla Roadster is a target. That was a thing of the 80s but haven't heard of it happening for a while. Its actually silly, those locking lugs don't work. I've pulled many off just as fast as a regular lug, bang a socket over it and it'll turn / come off.

Biggest waste of money and false security.

Last edited:
Just checked Elise-Shop and the black ones are 2.95 Euros each ( so about $4.04 today each), and the only shipping option provided is 155.46 Euros ($213 today). So the total for 20 black bolts to anywhere in the US is about $300. I even put in Stillwell, KS 66085, same shipping. Anyone know where else to get these for under $150 for the set?

Just checked Elise-Shop and the black ones are 2.95 Euros each ( so about $4.04 today each), and the only shipping option provided is 155.46 Euros ($213 today). So the total for 20 black bolts to anywhere in the US is about $300. I even put in Stillwell, KS 66085, same shipping. Anyone know where else to get these for under $150 for the set?

I went back and double checked what they charged me and then checked out the elise-shop listing again. You are right, the shipping options must have changed in the last month because the $50 shipping that they used on my order does not show up. Sorry.

What did you do for the anti-theft bolts?

I just skipped the anti-theft bolts. Not a real stolen-wheel Mecca in this part of the country.

Awesome - I just ordered a set of 20 black ones for $143.80 (US) shipped to California. Maybe they have an issue with their shipping calculations, but that price is good enough for me - I hate the crusty silver bolts on my nice black wheels.

Importer located in Los Angeles, CA for all lug bolts/nuts BMW or Roadster (BIMECC brand) phone: 1-888-RAD-BOLT. Knows his stuff and can order hard to find items from Europe if necessary. Such as Roadster BIMECC bolts 4mm longer for use with thicker MOMO rims.
--

Last edited:
After hemming and hawing and trying to get black forged rims, I just couldn't justify the cost, so I powder coated the silver forged wheels that came with my car. I think it looks great. They're a satin black, not a glossy black. The shop recommended the satin over glossy to show off the shape of the rims bit more. Once I saw the finishes in person, satin was an easy choice.

Cost was very reasonable. I needed new tires, too, and Tesla wanted over $300 for the AD07's. Ridiculous. This shop with the powder coating charged me about 1/2 of what Tesla was asking.

Here are some pics:

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

and one before shot:

IMG_6787.jpg