Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TrueDelta.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone is interested in seeing reliability data on the Model S, register your car at truedelta.com. They only have 23 Model S cars registered so far (mine is one of them), but it would be great if we could get a few hundred and track how reliable the car is over a few years.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with truedelta.com, just interested in tracking reliability. I have found this site very helpful when buying cars previously.

I've been on truedelta for years. Michael Karesh, who runs it, is very interested in making the data meaningful. I emailed him today and suggested adding an "overall satisfaction with service experience". This because just looking at the service frequency of the MS, it would give the impression were not happy (we make more trips for service/warranty than average), but that misses the key point that the Tesla service centers are way above average in quality/service.

He responded that he is considering this, and that he's heard the same thing from other Tesla owners. If more Tesla owners sign up with the site and also make the same suggestion, I'm sure it will be added sooner.

I've also been on TrueDelta for a long time, since the early days of my 2004 Prius. Michael is very involved and really seems to try to seek accurate and useful information. it takes little effort on the car owner's part other than submitting repair history when it occurs.

It also takes some effort to use it. If most early Tesla models had issues with the panoramic roof, then the repair rate will be huge, even though it was one problem that was fixed. I am most curious about year 3+, since I knew there would be minor issues the first couple of years.

Hi, guys, thanks for putting a good word in.

We just updated the stats with more data on more cars, and the one for the Model S didn't change much. I do think it's important to realize that this is a revolutionary all-new car from a new company, and that they do go out of their way to deliver outstanding service. Ordering parts BEFORE the car comes in for service, things like that. No other car company does this.

No doubt many people are wondering how much the repair frequency will improve with the 2014 cars. If we can get enough 2014s involved, we can have this information in a few months, since the survey is quarterly rather than annual like others.

The latest reliability stats for the Model S will always be here:

Tesla Model S Reliability

We've updated our reliability stats for the Model S to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2012-2013 Model S: 113, high

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be. We're currently a few responses short of being able to also report on the 2014s.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Tesla Model S reliability ratings and comparisons

We've updated our reliability stats for the Model S to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2012-2013 Model S: 113, high

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be. We're currently a few responses short of being able to also report on the 2014s.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Tesla Model S reliability ratings and comparisons

Hi, probably stupid questions. But what is Color or Plate Number? It says it is their to distinguish... but not sure how car color and my (I assumed) license plate number are in the same category?

What am I missing.

Either is okay. Some people buy more than one car of the same model and year, and even if the year differs sometimes mix them up when responding. To help keep straight which car is which, we add this additional information.

In very rare cases the color is the same and the plate goes from the old car to the new one. Then I enter "first" and "second" :)

Either is okay. Some people buy more than one car of the same model and year, and even if the year differs sometimes mix them up when responding. To help keep straight which car is which, we add this additional information.

In very rare cases the color is the same and the plate goes from the old car to the new one. Then I enter "first" and "second" :)

Makes a lot more sense now, thank you.

Isn't the problem with this that owners are self selecting into it and the ones with problems are the most likely to respond?

The way surveys are traditionally conducted, this would be a problem. But this survey in quarterly and ongoing, and we exclude all problems that appeared before the person joined. To my knowledge we're the only car reliability survey that operates this way.