Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one try going from Eastern WA (almost in ID) to Ellensburg Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if anyone has done Palouse or Eastern WA to the Ellensburg Supercharger on a single charge. I have a 85kwh with twin charger and have done the west to east in the summer, but wonder how it is in the winter with the Vantage grade.

We drove our Model S from north of Wenatchee to Pullman for our youngest son's graduation. I could hardly believe that there was not s single J1772 charger on the campus or in the town. Charged at an RV Park for free. We stopped at: Sunrise Resorts - Pier 4, 3400 Sage Road, Moses Lake, WA 98837 for an "assurance" charge both going and returning.

I wonder if you might contact WSU and/or City of Pullman regarding getting a charger? I know that Central Washington University and some other universities have charger on campus. I live in Palouse, so don't need a charger near Pullman, but have always wondered if those coming to graduations, Mom's weekend, Dad's weekend or athletic events would like to have one. They do allow RV's to park on campus for many of those events, and it would be relatively straightforward to install a few parking spots for EV charging. The town of Palouse does have an RV park with 30/50 amp charging but it tends to fill up on these special occassions.

In reality Pullman can be viewed as a destination point for charging; so, 240V40A NEMA 14-50 outlets would be inexpensive and very appropriate. The city has an RV Park, perhaps a local person could contact them to see about installing one or two NEMA 14-50 outlets. By placing a 120V/15A outlet along side the NEMA 14-50 you would be providing all plug in EVs with an opportunity to charge. I personally would like to see at least on Pathway charging opportunity in Pullman to open the way to Highway 95 in Idaho. I have driven to Boise on 95 because it is a better EV route than the Interstate and more interesting.

In reality Pullman can be viewed as a destination point for charging; so, 240V40A NEMA 14-50 outlets would be inexpensive and very appropriate. The city has an RV Park, perhaps a local person could contact them to see about installing one or two NEMA 14-50 outlets. By placing a 120V/15A outlet along side the NEMA 14-50 you would be providing all plug in EVs with an opportunity to charge. I personally would like to see at least on Pathway charging opportunity in Pullman to open the way to Highway 95 in Idaho. I have driven to Boise on 95 because it is a better EV route than the Interstate and more interesting.
When you drove to Boise on 95, where did you charge? The winchester grade chews up 70 rated miles for me, then it's another 230 miles to Boise.

qwk: not sure where the Winchester Grade is but I am guessing it is the massively long step grade north of Riggins, ID. We traveled down that hill on our way to Boise so changed our return charging plan to include a stop at the River Village RV Park in Riggins for 1.5 hours just to ensure we did not have to worry about making it up the grade to the Bear Den RV Resort near Grangeville, ID. (Bear Den was a planned 3.0 hour charging stop) Jim and Tawnya Folwell operate the River Village RV Park and have one NEMA 14-50 outlet which they made available for us. Several good lunch spots in Riggins too. The Bear Den RV Resort has plenty of NEMA 14-50 outlets and if you talk with the owner he will simply charge for the kWHs used as each outlet has a meter. On our outbound trip we were charged $5.00 for use of the outlet. On the return trip with paying for energy used we paid about $2.75. While at the Bear Den you do get use of their club house and deck. We spent the night in one of their cabins on the trip to Boise. You can also get a charge at the Clarion Inn, 1249 Tapadera AV, Ontario, OR (541) 889-8621. They have an NEMA 14-50 outlet on the main hotel sign just outside the office.

qwk: not sure where the Winchester Grade is but I am guessing it is the massively long step grade north of Riggins, ID. We traveled down that hill on our way to Boise so changed our return charging plan to include a stop at the River Village RV Park in Riggins for 1.5 hours just to ensure we did not have to worry about making it up the grade to the Bear Den RV Resort near Grangeville, ID. (Bear Den was a planned 3.0 hour charging stop) Jim and Tawnya Folwell operate the River Village RV Park and have one NEMA 14-50 outlet which they made available for us. Several good lunch spots in Riggins too. The Bear Den RV Resort has plenty of NEMA 14-50 outlets and if you talk with the owner he will simply charge for the kWHs used as each outlet has a meter. On our outbound trip we were charged $5.00 for use of the outlet. On the return trip with paying for energy used we paid about $2.75. While at the Bear Den you do get use of their club house and deck. We spent the night in one of their cabins on the trip to Boise. You can also get a charge at the Clarion Inn, 1249 Tapadera AV, Ontario, OR (541) 889-8621. They have an NEMA 14-50 outlet on the main hotel sign just outside the office.

Ah, yes! I have been there. I think I was the first Model S to use Bear Den, and his daughter charged me $10 cause he was away, in town. I also was the first Model S to use Clarion in Ontario. I texted the manager a pic of the 14-50 outlet I would need, and he said he had one on the sign post. This was back in October 2012. Great memories.

I also used the RV park in Clarkston, talked with the owner who lives in Portland area, has 6 RV parks on west coast. They also charged me $10.

That makes sense. The winchester grade is the long grade out of Lewiston. I always charge at the Neat Retreat RV park in Fruitland(sister town to Ontario), as the owner is super nice. The Clarion Inn wouldn't let me charge without booking a room, which didn't make sense to do for a two hour charge. I was hoping someone had found a decent spot to charge between McCall and Boise, as that is a much shorter route(so far I have only gone through Ontario).

Search for "RV Parks Idaho" then look along Highway 55, I am sure you will find several parks with NEMA 14-50 service available.

The Clarion did not even charge us, and let us hang out in their business center so we had Wi-FI and AC while we waited.

We have driven from Clarkston to Ellensburg at least 15 times in all kinds of weather. It is net uphill, and fairly often against the wind. In very cold weather (subfreezing) the 200 mile trip can be a stretch. More than once we have arrived with single digits rated range. If it is cold and/or a headwind, you CANNOT drive the speed limit or above and hope to make it. We take the shortest route (and prettier) through Connell.

A couple of times we have made an insurance stop at the lovely little Tucannon River RV Park, just east of Starbuck. The drive north from Starbuck is a fabulous twisty-fest, if you are in the mood!