Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monthly-Paid Parking Space With Charging Points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lx3h

Charged.hk's Director of Education
Hi, I am just wondering if anyone of you can add details to this thread as monthly-paid parking spaces with charging points are kind of rare in Hong Kong.

As far as I know, I asked Hang Lung Properties last year and they quoted me
  1. $2400 monthly in a designated Hang Lung Carpark but no charging
  2. $3200 monthly multiparking at all Hang Lung Carparks but no charging
  3. $3800 monthly multiparking at all Hang Lung Carparks with unlimited charging

What they didn't (maybe still don't) offer is the $2400 with unlimited charging.

This year, they have up the price of plan 2 from $3200 to $3700!!!! Blood-sucker!!!
http://www.hanglung.com/en/media-center/promotion/hong-kong.aspx

Other than that, I have no other sources.

Please let me and others know by adding more to this thread.

Naturally HKD

Well I know there are some garages in NYC that charge $1000-$1500 US dollars per month for a parking spot. I remember going around asking garages and one particular garage originally quoted me $400 but then we asked we kind of car I had (Tesla) to which he replied he wasn't familiar with that car. The guy next to him said 'its like a Jag', and he looked back at me and said 'oh ok, in that case it's $850/month'. > double the price for "nice cars". yeah....that's NYC. needless to say I park elsewhere... so given I know prices can get that high around here that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see $2000+ / month elsewhere in the world in popular cities, especially ones cramped for space.

I wonder what kind of cover the 3800 HKD is. What happens if they have so few spots available and they are taken when you need them - do they refund anything?

Are you aware of PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car! ? I don't know how complete it is, at least it gives an indication where charging stations are. It's also available as a free app.

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone of you can add details to this thread as monthly-paid parking spaces with charging points are kind of rare in Hong Kong.

As far as I know, I asked Hang Lung Properties last year and they quoted me
  1. $2400 monthly in a designated Hang Lung Carpark but no charging
  2. $3200 monthly multiparking at all Hang Lung Carparks but no charging
  3. $3800 monthly multiparking at all Hang Lung Carparks with unlimited charging

What they didn't (maybe still don't) offer is the $2400 with unlimited charging.

This year, they have up the price of plan 2 from $3200 to $3700!!!! Blood-sucker!!!
http://www.hanglung.com/en/media-center/promotion/hong-kong.aspx

Other than that, I have no other sources.

Please let me and others know by adding more to this thread.

I wonder what kind of cover the 3800 HKD is. What happens if they have so few spots available and they are taken when you need them - do they refund anything?

Are you aware of PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car! ? I don't know how complete it is, at least it gives an indication where charging stations are. It's also available as a free app.

Yes, I'm aware of this too, but doesn't help much on monthly-parking either.

The Hang Lung rule is, charge and go back to your parking space afterwards. Since there's only 1 charging spot in Kornhill Quarry Bay and Amoy Plaza‧Kowloon Bay means that there can be only two EVs charging in all Hang Lung carparks at the same time in Hong Kong.

Recargo (on iOS and Android stores) has all the Hong Kong public charging stations in, as does Open Charge Map. I maintain the list for both of them (and if anyone wants to offer to help me out with this task, please PM me).

P.S, are cargo and Plugshare have merged, but I'm not sure if they've merged databases yet. The boss at Recargo is a long time Roadster and now Model as driver.

Recargo (on iOS and Android stores) has all the Hong Kong public charging stations in, as does Open Charge Map. I maintain the list for both of them (and if anyone wants to offer to help me out with this task, please PM me).

P.S, are cargo and Plugshare have merged, but I'm not sure if they've merged databases yet. The boss at Recargo is a long time Roadster and now Model as driver.

Thanks Mark, but what I need to know is how much the monthly - parking plus charging is. Especially in Quarry Bay where I live. For example, there's a charging point in Cityplaza but monthly-parking is only offered to tenants and not outsiders.

Basically, all charging points available in Quarry Bay are under Swire Properties. I tried to ask today but they are off at weekends. If I can get more info for similar parking combo would be real nice.

I am planning to go for a 13A charging in the parking garage where I live. That shouldn't be too hard to get installed.

With the 85kWh battery and my driving needs, I will never need to charge anywhere else (until I decide to get mainland plates and do a cross mainland trip, when the supercharger network is up and running!).

Getting 40A or 80A chargers installed in an estate parking could be some problem I presume.

I am planning to go for a 13A charging in the parking garage where I live. That shouldn't be too hard to get installed.

With the 85kWh battery and my driving needs, I will never need to charge anywhere else (until I decide to get mainland plates and do a cross mainland trip, when the supercharger network is up and running!).

Getting 40A or 80A chargers installed in an estate parking could be some problem I presume.

DITB, I'm currently having trouble figuring out about installing charging outlet at my estate parking lot (spot) also. May I ask how are you planning to go for the 13A charging? We still need to get an electrician to install a socket suitable for the cable adapter, right?

A good approach. 10 hours @13A should be around 20kWh into the battery (after losses) - about 1/4 the battery.

The vast majority of the public charging in HK is that. Cheap and simple.

Last edited:
Worse comes to worst, if I cannot find a monthly-paid parking space with charging, then I will go for a cheap parking space without a charger and then visit one of those "CHAdeMO" standard charger once to twice a week.

http://www.hkelectric.com/web/ElectricLiving/EV/EVChargingStations/Index_en

My worry is that with 400 Model S and 400 other EVs on the road, I might have to get up at 3am to get an available charging space.

DITB, I'm currently having trouble figuring out about installing charging outlet at my estate parking lot (spot) also. May I ask how are you planning to go for the 13A charging? We still need to get an electrician to install a socket suitable for the cable adapter, right?

You can get 13A from a normal outlet in a house, if nothing else is on that group of outlets. It's only around 3000W, so you don't really need anything but a normal socket, possibly with a lock and a meter on it (unless you want to sponsor other people plugging in). Installing a charger is not just the plug, but the wiring leading to it. Hence, 13A shouldn't be an issue for the estate, as long as you are paying for the plug. 3000W is the same as 50 light bulbs of 60W each, OR three toasters, OR two vacuum cleaners. So it's not like you are trying to install a steel works plant forge.

We were in a serviced apartment in Hyatt Shatin previously, this was 2012 when I asked about having a bug standard normal plug available. There was no budging or any looking into it, they weren't interested in any sort of EV charging in their lot, despite me paying for a dedicated spot, and willing to pay installation charges.

With all the lighting, and other equipment in the parking lot, I consider it a bad excuse that there "wasn't any possibility to install any plugs at all". We had already paid for the Tesla model S reservation, but moved out shortly after. Bye Hyatt!

13A being about 3kw, you can top up 30 kW in 10 hours, and with our requirements, that won't be an issue, as this would be more than 150 km. here will be days where we aren't going to use the car at all, though it will be hard to fight the temptation to find an excuse to go - anywhere :)

Most I've ever normally seen is one other EV charging at most shopping centres. I'm actually looking forward to there being enough EVs on the road for this to become an issue.

Mark, I do welcome this scenario if only
1. I will eventually get to charge my Model S, so will all other EV owners.
2. The government will act quick enough to this issue (track record says they are real slow)
3. Tesla is already installing Superchargers quietly without our knowing (could this be true?)

You can get 13A from a normal outlet in a house, if nothing else is on that group of outlets. It's only around 3000W, so you don't really need anything but a normal socket, possibly with a lock and a meter on it (unless you want to sponsor other people plugging in). Installing a charger is not just the plug, but the wiring leading to it. Hence, 13A shouldn't be an issue for the estate, as long as you are paying for the plug. 3000W is the same as 50 light bulbs of 60W each, OR three toasters, OR two vacuum cleaners. So it's not like you are trying to install a steel works plant forge.

We were in a serviced apartment in Hyatt Shatin previously, this was 2012 when I asked about having a bug standard normal plug available. There was no budging or any looking into it, they weren't interested in any sort of EV charging in their lot, despite me paying for a dedicated spot, and willing to pay installation charges.

With all the lighting, and other equipment in the parking lot, I consider it a bad excuse that there "wasn't any possibility to install any plugs at all". We had already paid for the Tesla model S reservation, but moved out shortly after. Bye Hyatt!

13A being about 3kw, you can top up 30 kW in 10 hours, and with our requirements, that won't be an issue, as this would be more than 150 km. here will be days where we aren't going to use the car at all, though it will be hard to fight the temptation to find an excuse to go - anywhere :)

That's what I had in mind and thought that should be easy... but that's not the case.

Technically I have no problem to even get 80A on my parking spot, CLP, EMSD and EVPower all confirmed. The chairman of the owner's assoc also supports "green" idea, but I've been wrestling to get a green light since I ordered my car in summer 2012.

There are a few hurdles if you want to get a plug installed in your parking spot: (That's my case, may or may not apply to all)

1. The owner have to agree (I own it so no problem.)

2. Technical viable (CLP, EMSD and Contractor confirmed.)

3. Power meter - Electric supply in parking lot is public so it is from the MAIN meter. By law no one can "resell" electricity to you, even not for profit. You have to have either a separate meter before it reach main meter, which means a hefty installation charge. You can ask CLP or HKE for consent to install separate meter in parking lot, which they won't. Final solution is to install a Commercial charger and ask the management company run it for you. You pay every time you plug in.

4. Insurance - You need insurance to cover all equipment installed in the public area, including wires and chargers. (During installation and ongoing)

5. Owner association consent - Depends where your estate is, the association may only be a handful of owners or thousands. Usually you'll get a few haters saying why bother to get wiring all over the place just for a bloody car? What if everyone switched to EV then the parking lot will be full of wires? What if your EV and charger meltdown like BYD? etc..... I have got voted down 3 times already and still fighting! :mad::mad::mad:

6. If you move out and no one takes on the maintenance of the charging equipment, you need to reinstate the installation. Which means uninstall all wirings and repaint the track. (Reinstatement sounds expansive to me...)

7. You need to submit all technical details and operating procedures, with agreement from the estate management, to the owner's association for approval. However 9 out of 10 are non-technical person so I wonder how they can judge that. :confused:

8. The government EMSD is supportive, but unable to do anything to help. They'll only tell the estate management and owner assoc about the policy, but how to push things forward is _____ blank. Typical HK nowadays :biggrin:

Just share my experience. Hope that's just me having these troubles.. Maybe I should move to a house :rolleyes: