Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Central New Jersey Charging Station plans!! (maybe)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone! The name is Chris and I live in the 'good ol' corrupt state of New Jersey!' Unfortunately, dismayed by the lack of 'progress' towards building charging stations in the area of where I live; I decided to take it upon myself to build my very own charging station for everyone who visits! The lack of progress is on the back of the State of New Jersey. The State has attacked Tesla on multiple accounts in regards to not allowing them to install Superchargers along the turnpike in New Jersey. This is why all of the Superchargers are placed in North Jersey and not Central or South Jersey, Tesla rather put them on the boarder of another state that is more lenient than New Jersey. Most of the charging stations in New Jersey, or at least where I live, are located at car dealerships; some of which do not allow you to charge unless you have purchased their brand car (Nissan).

On a more positive note, this can be equated to the old adage, "Don't depend on someone else for your own happiness." This is why I am planning on making my own charging station at the office building I own. It is smack-dab right in Central Jersey along the Jersey Shore. The location would offer convenience for those New Yorkers' / Staten Islanders' heading down to South Jersey (Atlantic City) or for those who enjoy going to the beach in Central Jersey.

Here is a link to the location. (I did not put the address in because the charging stations are not in yet, but it 1 block from Pier Village.)

The location is 1 block from two hotels, Pier Village ((shopping center) / (upscale restaurants)), and of course, the beach!!

I was going to purchase a ChargePoint station, but they were too expensive, and I was unsure on how much traffic it would be attracting, and I am not sure how many people use ChargePoint. This is why I decided to go with my own charge station. I was going to purchase a Tesla charging station to go on the outside of the building, but I do not have a Tesla (OR AT LEAST NOT YET!!) so it would be quite irrelevant for me to spend the extra $1,200 (unless someone local wants to donate it.) I am going to put in a NEMA 14-50 on the outside of the building with a box that has access control. The Tesla wall mount would work perfect especially if one had twin chargers because the breaker that I am using is 200 amps 450 volt (With a sub breaker dedicated to the charging.) The best part is if you had to leave the car at the building, while you stayed at one of the hotels, it would be fine. There are 7 cameras around the whole lot, 1 of which is directly connected to the cities Police Department.

Before I do this, I wanted to see how many people on the TMC forums are actually located around this area and with that I would determine if it is worth it to pursue or not.

Edit: There is over 10 parking spots that I could use for charging, but that depends on the amount of traffic.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Last edited:
Chris,
That's wonderful you're trying to make EV charging more accessible in your area. There may be some confusion about what's possible though. A Tesla Model S can only draw 40A from a NEMA 14-50 whether it has the standard single charger or dual chargers. Dual chargers only allow faster charging from a Tesla HPWC installed on a circuit of >50A (but no more than 100A), or with a J1772 charging station that supplies >40A, for example the Clipper Creek CS-60 or CS-100. More importantly, you can't put a NEMA 14-50 on a 200A breaker. It has to be a 50A breaker (that's the "50" in 14-50). If you have 200A available, you could have 4 circuits of 50A each.

NEMA 14-50 is by far the least expensive solution and perfect for Tesla, but if you are still interested in a charging station that all EVs can access there are better alternatives to ChargePoint. Not only is ChargePoint too expensive, as you found out, it is underpowered. It only puts out 30A. The two Clipper Creek models I mentioned above are less expensive than ChargePoint and put out higher amperage (CS-60 supplies 48A, CS-100 supplies 80A). The CS-60 has the option for a keypad for users to enter a code to pay for charging, if that interests you, so it could partially recoup your cost.

Thanks Chris for planning on installing a charging station in that area. Last summer I made a trip to Atlantic City, and was looking into charges in the area, and realized more is definitely needed.

As far as the rest of NJ. Tesla has been approved for a Supercharger in Edison. The local Zoning board will adopt the needed changes at the Feb. 18th meeting. The permits should be completed by then (or very quickly), and I was told by Tesla's Attorney construction should start very soon afterwards.

As for other "Central NJ" locations, I live in New Brunswick, and there are L2 chargers in the area, including 2 public garages owned by the New Brunswick Parking Authority, as well as 2 or 3 others in Rutgers campus parking lots.

Chris,
That's wonderful you're trying to make EV charging more accessible in your area. There may be some confusion about what's possible though. A Tesla Model S can only draw 40A from a NEMA 14-50 whether it has the standard single charger or dual chargers. Dual chargers only allow faster charging from a Tesla HPWC installed on a circuit of >50A (but no more than 100A), or with a J1772 charging station that supplies >40A, for example the Clipper Creek CS-60 or CS-100. More importantly, you can't put a NEMA 14-50 on a 200A breaker. It has to be a 50A breaker (that's the "50" in 14-50). If you have 200A available, you could have 4 circuits of 50A each.

NEMA 14-50 is by far the least expensive solution and perfect for Tesla, but if you are still interested in a charging station that all EVs can access there are better alternatives to ChargePoint. Not only is ChargePoint too expensive, as you found out, it is underpowered. It only puts out 30A. The two Clipper Creek models I mentioned above are less expensive than ChargePoint and put out higher amperage (CS-60 supplies 48A, CS-100 supplies 80A). The CS-60 has the option for a keypad for users to enter a code to pay for charging, if that interests you, so it could partially recoup your cost.

Thank you very much for your input, it was very positive. When I wrote the article, it was 1:30 AM; meaning I did put a few mistakes. I meant to say I have 200A breaker available, with sub panels dedicated to charging.

You mentioned it has a keypad, but I do not see anything of that nature on the models that are shown in the picture of their website, or any advertisements for this option. Do you mind elaborating?

You mentioned it has a keypad, but I do not see anything of that nature on the models that are shown in the picture of their website, or any advertisements for this option. Do you mind elaborating?
It's not shown on the website, but I know the payment keypad system is a $900 option. They work with a company called Liberty Plugins for a pay-by-mobile phone system that sends the user a code to enter into the keypad which activates the charging station. Call Clipper Creek for details.

As for other "Central NJ" locations, I live in New Brunswick, and there are L2 chargers in the area, including 2 public garages owned by the New Brunswick Parking Authority, as well as 2 or 3 others in Rutgers campus parking lots.

North Jersey has an adequate amount of stations, but when you get to Central / Southern Jersey Shore - there isn't many, and the ones they do have are $3/hr,that is if the spot is not taken already.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not shown on the website, but I know the payment keypad system is a $900 option. They work with a company called Liberty Plugins for a pay-by-mobile phone system that sends the user a code to enter into the keypad which activates the charging station. Call Clipper Creek for details.

I appreciate the help. Thank you.

There is no such place as "Central Jersey", only North and South Jersey. :)

Ha! I cannot tell if this was sarcasm or disrespectfully trying to prove me wrong. Due to the smiley face I will take it as disrespectfully trying to prove me wrong.

Unfortunately, it is best to do research before making a bold statement and then emphasizing it with a smiley face, but let me turn that face upside down. A study has been conducted by a reputable university and it states, "Central Jersey is a region in the middle section of the state of New Jersey in the United States of America."(Monmouth University 2008). Central Jersey shares parts of North Jersey and South Jersey to create the wealthiest region in New Jersey, but also ranked one of the wealthiest locations in the United States; comprised of: Hunterdon, Somerset, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Union, and Ocean county. The location of my business would be in Monmouth, which is inherently located in Central Jersey. I hope you enjoyed the history lesson! :smile:

Hey Chris,
I am planing to travel to your neck of the woods the first weekend in April and have been looking for Hotels in the area. There's not much (nothing) on Plug Share. Your charger/outlet would be great. Please post if you end up installing. Thanks for supporting the cause!

Hey Chris,
I am planing to travel to your neck of the woods the first weekend in April and have been looking for Hotels in the area. There's not much (nothing) on Plug Share. Your charger/outlet would be great. Please post if you end up installing. Thanks for supporting the cause!

Hello! Thanks for responding. That is why I am very mad when it comes to electric cars in my area. There is no where to change, unless you knock on someone's door for a 120.. But this is NJ, so you might get the police called on you. I will soon change that!

Actually - the charger is already in, I was just planning on building a secondary one outside so I wouldn't have to be there to open it. There is a door that leads to the outside that hosts the breaker box. I can just have the door open for you if you would like. There is a NEMA 14-50 inside (right next to the parking spot - your UMC will be have more than enough cabling.) You may use it to charge. Also if you decide to stay at the hotel I described - I'll try and get you a good room (depending on occupancy) = ].

Just keep me informed!

Great thanks, I will likely take you up on the offer and be in touch!

Also, if you have connections at the hotel, you might encourage them to install their own infrastructure. Here's a link to an interesting program by Tesla where they will give a free HPWC to a business that reserves spots for Model S. Destination Charging

Other chargers like a J1772 would be better for other EVs (Leaf etc) as well of course. The cheapest option of installing a simple 14-50 like you have is also great.

Great thanks, I will likely take you up on the offer and be in touch!

Also, if you have connections at the hotel, you might encourage them to install their own infrastructure. Here's a link to an interesting program by Tesla where they will give a free HPWC to a business that reserves spots for Model S. Destination Charging

Other chargers like a J1772 would be better for other EVs (Leaf etc) as well of course. The cheapest option of installing a simple 14-50 like you have is also great.

Sounds great! And unfortunately, there isn't room for electrical charging. Because this area is FULLY packed every day during the summer - they will not give up a spot to include charging for ONLY electric cars. The owners in the area are business driven. But, what I am going to do - Thanks for the link - I am going to send a message out to them and ask if I can get a HPWC. I have available spots and enough current to provide Tesla's with 80A 240V so everyone can get on their way! I hope they get back to me before you arrange your trip.
And like I said I can arrange for the hotel to pick you up / drop you off at my building - so there is no need to worry my friend. :)

Edit:
I just filled out the application and sent it. I am not sure how long it will take, but I will get back to you if I receive the HPWC. - Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how you make out. We're in the area and would definitely stop by.

I received an email by the head of the infrastructure facility. He stated that he might make an exception for me.

And I hope you do stop by! All are welcome and I would be excited to meet with you. :)

Well with the new Supercharger coming outside Trenton I may not need the charge after all. Assuming it's up and running in the next2 wks (it looks close).

Okay. Just keep me informed.