Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Impressive...and I hope it continues!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my S85 on the Feb 7, and confirmed on the 8th. DS called me on the 10th to setup prelim delivery of March 28th. DS was Extremely helpful in every way, answering questions/concerns thoroughly. I asked to have HPWC delivered so I could move forward with getting it installed etc. He said should be no problem!
It arrived today, and about 10mins after I opened the box I get a call from Palo Alto! It was Tesla calling to let me know that my HPWC was delivered and if I had any questions or concerns regarding its installation. Wow. That's some serious customer service!
If this continues, they can pretty much be guaranteed I will never buy another brand of car again!

On a side note:
Is there anyone here on the LA area on DWP that had a HPWC installed? What did the installation cost? How much were the permits etc. Do you have any installer recommendations?
My DS gave me the number to "Bright City Electrical", I called them and they were a total Joke, for reasons that would take a long post to explain....

Sounds like typical service to me...for Tesla, that is! I am quite a ways away from LA, but my HPWC install was only $330. I have seen others as high as $1200 but a LOT depends on where it is mounted and how far they have to run the wire. Some have had to install a new electrical panel because there was not any room in the existing panel. these are all concerns that lead to additional costs. I needed no permits and any licensed electrician can perform the install. I called around and got quotes ranging from $270 to $580. (The $270 was a friend's cousin who used to work with a local home builder as a window installer, but he also assisted the electrician...Uhhh, no thanks!) The instructions that come in the box are very well written and easy to understand. Just remember to have them set the dip switches correctly for the proper voltage before closing up the box.

ditto what @Chipper said. A lot depends on what your setup is going to be, and whether you have the necessary electrical infrastructure in your home. My subpanel was full (on 2nd floor), so I had to run a 2nd line from the meter to a new subpanel in the garage. I didn't get the HPWC and had my electrician install a NEMA 14-50 (I have the smaller battery) and that cost a little over $900 (including city permit, installation and inspection). Did I get ripped off? Maybe... I had 3 electricians stop by...the first 2 wanted to run a line from the subpanel (tapping into the breakers feeding the oven) to the garage. Cost: >$1500. The last one said... "uh..your meter is on the other side of your garage wall...i can pull a line directly from it".

So shop around for electricians!

Some info on my infrastructure:

I have a 200A panel. I have a 8kw solar system and a netmeter. I have room on my panel for a 100A breaker, and the HPWC will be literally through the wall into the garage from the outside where the panel is. I guess my questions are as follows:
1.) Do I need a permit to qualify for the $750 rebate?
2.) If a permit is required, how much should it be? I have a guy telling me its $1500! LOL!
3.) If no permit is required, how do I go about getting the rebate?

TIA!

Some info on my infrastructure:

I have a 200A panel. I have a 8kw solar system and a netmeter. I have room on my panel for a 100A breaker, and the HPWC will be literally through the wall into the garage from the outside where the panel is. I guess my questions are as follows:
1.) Do I need a permit to qualify for the $750 rebate?
2.) If a permit is required, how much should it be? I have a guy telling me its $1500! LOL!
3.) If no permit is required, how do I go about getting the rebate?

TIA!
I think that knowing your location is important for anyone to be able to pass along decent advice

wow, I ordered on 1/31 confirmed on 2/4 and haven't heard anything from DS.

I actually initially called him. Reason was because I will be leaving the country for 2 months, so I wanted to see if they actually deliver "late march" as the website said, otherwise they would have to deliver in June to me.
Initially he said June is the safe bet. Then he called back a couple days later telling me that he "made some calls to the factory" and that he found a slot for my car as well as assigned my VIN.
I was pretty please with that call!!

- - - Updated - - -

I think that knowing your location is important for anyone to be able to pass along decent advice

My Physical location? Los Angeles CA
LADWP