Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident shows safety Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maarten

Nov 2, 2013
Hilversum
Today one of our Dutch fellow forum members was hit from the rear by another car.
The results are absolutely staggering.... in a positive way regarding the strength of the Model S!
Luckily nobody was injured. Tesla said the parking of the Model S are not working anymore... :biggrin:
The people that came to clear the cars of the accident site called the Model S 'a tank'.
The photo's show why: Schade topic - Page 14

Do take note that the car in the accident looks like an old Volvo or such - these cars, while among the safest cars of their time, hold nothing to a car engineered to modern standards like Model S. I think if you had, for example, two Teslas colliding, you'd have a lot more damage on both. Still, they would be safe for the passengers. Really bad crashes like this:

Salvage-Model-S.png

show that even in severe accidents, the structure of the vehicle (passenger occupant cell) remains completely intact. That photo is from a car without rear seats so missing additional reinforcement bar.

Cars without rear-facing seats do have extra reinforcement in the rear bumper area if they are pre VIN-5,xxx. That is when they switched the design and no longer allowed post-delivery installation of rear-facing seats. Do we know the VIN of this particular car is?

Cars without rear-facing seats do have extra reinforcement in the rear bumper area if they are pre VIN-5,xxx. That is when they switched the design and no longer allowed post-delivery installation of rear-facing seats. Do we know the VIN of this particular car is?

It has an "-A" battery. Surprisingly can't find anything more on it; found it on the Stretchla blog...
http://cafeelectric.com/stretchla/

So maybe it has the bar in place. But also some vehicles near the end of the 5,000 have a mix of "-A" and "-B" batteries.

I don't think they were shipping to the Netherlands then were they?

Only North American, maybe even only US were under 54xx.

I wonder if he has the rear facing kids seats with the second bumper & reinforcements?

No, it's a standard S85 without rear facing seats.

- - - Updated - - -

I uploaded some more pictures. The police asked me what car he hit. When I told him it was the Tesla, they almost didn't believe it. The other driver needed an ambulance for checkup, but he's ok. I think his car is beyond repair though.

The Tesla worked fine, the only message I got was an error coming from the rear parking sensors. An hour later a drove 80km home with the car. The last photo is a picture from this morning, at home.

The car was delivered last December, so a bit a bummer to have an accident with it already. The bumper will need replacement I think, and the trunk has a small dent, don't know if it is easy to fix that. The trunk is still able to open and close. I hope there is no invisible damage. It's realy amazing, and I'm very happy I drove this car.

foto 1a.jpg

foto 2a.jpg

foto 4a.jpg

foto 5a.jpg

foto 7a.jpg