Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPA to LAS and and back in my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to drive my Model S from Tampa to Las Vegas for a conference using the supercharger network.

I'll be gone from February 22, 2014 to about March 15th. I figure it will be 8 days out and 8 days back because I have to go up the Eastern seaboard and across the northern plains, then back down the face of the rockies.

Read all about my trip on my blog: TPA to LAS and back in a Tesla Model S — Epinomy

Next year (maybe later this year) the southern I-10 route will make this trip much more convenient, but frankly this is a once-in-a-lifetime confluence of circumstances.

Anybody else made any cross country trips from Florida? I'd love to hear some tips and tricks.

I'm planning to drive my Model S from Tampa to Las Vegas for a conference using the supercharger network.

I'll be gone from February 22, 2014 to about March 15th. I figure it will be 8 days out and 8 days back because I have to go up the Eastern seaboard and across the northern plains, then back down the face of the rockies.

Read all about my trip on my blog: TPA to LAS and back in a Tesla Model S — Epinomy

Next year (maybe later this year) the southern I-10 route will make this trip much more convenient, but frankly this is a once-in-a-lifetime confluence of circumstances.

Anybody else made any cross country trips from Florida? I'd love to hear some tips and tricks.

Did you check to see if it might be quicker to still go the I-10 route, getting boosts in Texas and Arizona?

aviators99 is right... I think the time will be about the same, maybe a day or two more if you go direct w/ hypermiling. It would involve a lot more trip planning (check plugshare and any RV park maps), but you have a lot less driving and more sleeping/waiting time.

Sample route:

Tampa => St. Augustine, FL => Tallahassee, FL => Pensacola, FL => Hammond/Baton Rouge, LA => Lake Charles, LA => Huntsville, TX (SC) ====>

Corsicana, TX (SC) => Wichita Falls, TX => Vega, TX => Santa Rosa, NM => Albuquerque, NM => Gallup, NM (SC) ====>

From there you can get to Vegas on the SC network. That's ~2,500 miles compared to > 4,000 miles using just SCs.

It's not about the distance. This is a unique time in history when the following conditions are all true:

1) I have an excuse to go to Vegas (a conference)
2) I've always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore, but never had a shadow of an excuse.
3) I have an excuse to go to DC
4) I have never driven across country at all - and would like to do so
5) We are only a couple of years away from the full network being completed, so this route would never make any sense after that.
6) I'm pretty sure I can write off the mileage, at least.

I actually will stop in Washington DC for a couple of business meetings, so I'm making the most of the trip. The journey is the reward.

By the way, I posted a couple more updates at Epinomy Blog — Epinomy