Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Farm Dropped My Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a letter in mail from State Farm Insurance, who I have used to insure all of the cars I've owned since I was 25 (I'm now 56 - long time). In a nutshell, the letter states that State Farm will not renew my policy for my Model S. I own two other cars, which are not affected.

Basically, State Farm claims that the Model S does not meet their guidelines and standards that determine if insurance can be provided. I find this odd, as the Model S was rated "the safest car in 2013, etc". So what's up with State Farm? Is it the cost to fix one?

Does anyone in the New York area have a suggestion on insurance companies that cover Tesla automobiles?

Hmmmm.. I am in the exact same boat. Multiple cars and policys with SF for decades. The Model S was treated about like I expected a high end car. 700/6mo. Seems like they would just raise premiums. Maybe time to shop around. Who has good Tesla response with insurance companies ?

Strange

Hmmmm.. I am in the exact same boat. Multiple cars and policys with SF for decades. The Model S was treated about like I expected a high end car. 700/6mo. Seems like they would just raise premiums. Maybe time to shop around. Who has good Tesla response with insurance companies ?

My tesla is about to show up and I am working with my state farm rep now and I haven't heard anything about this. They did quote me fairly high (roughly 170/month) because apparently the car is classified like a corvette. I tried to argue with them on this but they said there isn't enough info about the car so for now it is seen as high risk. I have yet to get information of being dropped though. What state are you in?

Me = Texas

My State Farm agent just returned my call, and said he knows nothing of any problem. Also said the agent always gets prior notice is such cases ...

They might underwrite on a regional basis so these decisions are sporadic ...

My tesla is about to show up and I am working with my state farm rep now and I haven't heard anything about this. They did quote me fairly high (roughly 170/month) because apparently the car is classified like a corvette. I tried to argue with them on this but they said there isn't enough info about the car so for now it is seen as high risk. I have yet to get information of being dropped though. What state are you in?

Me = Texas

I'm next door in Plano. Currently Travelers is $559/6 months for my P85+. They say it will go down a bit when I switch to paying annually rather than 6 months. The agent is also checking if I can get a discount for the GPS locator that's standard in the Tesla (makes theft recovery easy). You can call my agent if you want. Tesla was a bit of an educational experience for her and Travelers, but they got it mostly figured out now. 817-865-1801, ask for Aimee (I don't get anything for referrals, just trying to help).

I just received a letter in mail from State Farm Insurance, who I have used to insure all of the cars I've owned since I was 25 (I'm now 56 - long time). In a nutshell, the letter states that State Farm will not renew my policy for my Model S. I own two other cars, which are not affected.

Basically, State Farm claims that the Model S does not meet their guidelines and standards that determine if insurance can be provided. I find this odd, as the Model S was rated "the safest car in 2013, etc". So what's up with State Farm? Is it the cost to fix one?

Does anyone in the New York area have a suggestion on insurance companies that cover Tesla automobiles?

Good thing they dropped you before you needed to drop them.

Unigard / QBE 600 / 6 mo, $1K deduct. One car.

Shop around.

I'm still on SF, my payment started at 188/mo but it's now up to 197/mo... I just got a speeding ticket for 82/55, but haven't gone to court yet. Not sure if that would've affected my rate or not.... Seems like if you guys are getting 650-700 for 6mo it's time to shop around.

EDIT:
Well I just went online and found I really can save a lot by switching to Geico. :tongue: Got a quote for $600 every 6mo.. Probably need to check the details of the policy coverages to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples- but wow.

Last edited:
I'm still on SF, my payment started at 188/mo but it's now up to 197/mo... I just got a speeding ticket for 82/55, but haven't gone to court yet. Not sure if that would've affected my rate or not.... Seems like if you guys are getting 650-700 for 6mo it's time to shop around.

EDIT:
Well I just went online and found I really can save a lot by switching to Geico. :tongue: Got a quote for $600 every 6mo.. Probably need to check the details of the policy coverages to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples- but wow.

If you are a Birkshire Hathaway shareholder you will also get a discount.