Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please can I borrow your Tesla Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I think "Please can I borrow your car?" qualifies as the most likely question in the world to invoke an immediate response of "no", but please let me explain why I'm asking and hopefully I'll change at least one person's mind!

I work in the motor industry and have driven a lot of electric vehicles, including a Tesla Roadster Sport and a Model S (and a Zoe, Twizy, Leaf, iMiEV, Ampera, Focus EV, smart ED and Think). One of my parents teaches in a primary school and the kids are studying "living in the future" as a topic at the moment. Knowing my interests, the school asked me to go in and talk to the children about electric vehicles and what they can expect to be driving in the future. This was back in early January and the date agreed with the school was the 24th February (next Monday). Subsequently, my former school has also been in touch to ask if I could bring an electric car in to show a group of older students for their Design Technology course.

Since then, I have spent six weeks pretty carefully setting things up to make this happen with a Tesla Roadster as the car of choice. Everyone I spoke to has been very helpful and I managed to get in a position where someone selling a Roadster agreed to let me borrow it for 24-48 hours and I had insurance fully lined up on the vehicle courtesy of Aviva.

However, as of today my carefully-laid plans are falling apart at a tremendous pace. The hazard of dealing with a car on the open market, of course, is that it might sell and it appears that is what might well happen tomorrow with the Roadster in question. There is a chance that it won't, but I'm preparing for 'the worst' and hoping for 'the best'!

So, my question is, is there a Tesla Roadster owner out there (ideally in the South East) who would be willing to allow me to use and drive their vehicle over a 24 or 48-hour period from the 23rd to 24th February (with collection and return all done by me, fully comprehensive insurance cover arranged and any additional valet etc.)?

I know this is a big ask, but I've been looking forward to getting a group of about 60 nine-year old children excited about electric cars and I'm still hoping that will happen. Suffice to say I'll do my best to thank any such owner as publicly and vociferously as possible to my 1,800+ Twitter followers and beyond if I can...

Best regards,

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I've reposted this in the 'Roadster' forum as I thought at first this was a general 'UK & Ireland' section and missed the 'charging infrastructure' bit!