Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for help from locals for a San Fran vacation with a Model S rental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to bring my wife out to visit the Bay Area and some of the coast going down to Santa Barbara. I am trying to rent a Model S for the week as my grand cou de tat to convince her to let us by one. So all the tips I could get from the local Tesla owners out there would be great.

I have a ton of Hilton points, so my preference is to stay at a Hilton property. I was looking at Union Square for a few days. Then a stop in Monterey (Hilton Garden), then down to Santa Barbara for a couple nights at the Fess Parker Resort(Doubletree). I was hoping to take 1 down the coast, then 101 to SuperCharge back. My main concern is making sure I can get charging in Monterrey. I would consider skipping the Hilton Garden if there is a good B&B with EVSE in Monterrey/Carmel.

I am planning on contacting the listings on GetAround for a Model S weekly rental. Has anyone done this or have recommendations/alternatives?

Also any tips on sightseeing along this route or in general in the Bay Area, that would be great. I want to catch a game at AT&T, so any tips on tickets or best places to sit would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

In metro SF I think Ellis-O'farrell garage had a few 30A ChargePoints. You'll need a ChargePoint card to access. Very close or closest to Union Sq.
Going down to Monterey, I think the only hotel with EV charging was Intercontinental, 30A J1772. Make sure you have J1772 adapter with you.

I'm not local SF; I guess locals don't stay at these hotels and/or use slow chargers there. The closest SC is Fremont.

As for renting, Hertz has MS 85kWh for $475 a day at SFO... it was $375 when I rented.

Download PlugShare app to find out chargers. It is very useful.

I was just at Pebble Beach on Tuesday for golf. They have a 14-50 plug. Its in the lodge outdoor parking lot right next to first tee. I asked and they have some at Spanish Bay too. You don't have to be staying to charge. Just tip valet.

Do install the app on your phone.
PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!
You will see numerous public sites in Monterey. I have not used them.

Also, I am a Giants season tix holder. What game you looking to buy?

Gilroy is only 40 miles from Monterey so you can zip over there for a full charge. Nice drive as well to see artichoke country. Check plugshare as there are some charging stations in Monterey/Carmel. FYI the drive on Highway 1 from Monterey to SB is beautiful but 5-6 hours of concentration, not a simple cruise by any means. Re sightseeing there's a month's worth of stuff to see in the Bay Area, just depends on what you enjoy, pick a few and have fun. One of my favorite places is Point Reyes Natl Park if you like the outdoors. Giants tickets are best purchased through stub hub. They sell out so you need to get them ahead of time. Any seat is good.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the tips so far. The dates are looking like June 28th to July 5th. Is there anything in particular that is a must do for July 4th?

I was planning to stay in the city for the first half of the trip, then see some of the coast on the second half. I could reverse this if it is a must to be in SF for the 4th.

@Bradleybang
I am sending you a PM about tickets.

I was at the garage under union square a few days ago. They have 4-5 Chargepoint chargers but they always seem to be out of order. I parked at the only working charger and found that it stopped charging upon my return.

I've had much better luck at the 5th and Mission garage where all the 8+ chargers always seem to be functional.

Sounds like you want to take advantage of your Hilton points for hotels, but I'd suggest a one night stay at the Post Ranch Inn at Big Sur. A truly majestic setting and a magical resort. My favorite place in the world. Maybe rent the Model S for one less day while you're in the City and check into a "tree house" room at the Post Ranch Inn.

A few ideas:Sutros at The Cliff House for a dining experience on the coast of SF, check out Sausalito, go to Alcatraz, drive through the Presidio, check out the De Young museum and Academy of Science in GG Park. For your coast experience, drive from SF to Monterey on Highway 1. Do not miss Big Sur. Go to Nepenthe restaurant in Big Sur. Go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Go to Montrio restaurant in Monterey. Park and walk all around Carmel and don't miss the beach there. Keep in mind it will probably be foggy and cold at that time of the year. Enjoy the Bay Area, it's an incredible place to live and visit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice on downtown charging. I have all the apps, but would like to know what to stay away from if possible. In Houston the apps are not updated enough, especially ChargePoint. I have reported charges that do not work or in one case no longer there, and they remain.

@Larry, thanks for the list of places.

one night stay at the Post Ranch Inn at Big Sur
Wow, what a place. You are right, I am trying to take advantage of my Hilton points, but that looks like a can't miss. This would be a great alternative to staying at the resort in Santa Barbara I had looked at. As far as room selection, would we regret not having a view of the water? Or would it just be fogged in anyway? Also, has anyone stayed there and charged their Model S? I will call and see what they say, but personal experience is always helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

I called Post Ranch Inn and they said they have multiple Tesla specific chargers, so charging is not an issue. Thought I would pass it along to anyone else who was curious.

@Kalikgod. I replied to your pm about Giants tix.

However, I thought it relevant to post that The Beacon Garage under Safeway kitty-corner from AT&T park has J1772 plugs that I know worked last season. Problem is parking there for game day is $40 but super convenient. Entrance is on Townsend.

Wow, what a place. You are right, I am trying to take advantage of my Hilton points, but that looks like a can't miss. This would be a great alternative to staying at the resort in Santa Barbara I had looked at. As far as room selection, would we regret not having a view of the water? Or would it just be fogged in anyway? Also, has anyone stayed there and charged their Model S? I will call and see what they say, but personal experience is always helpful.

I stayed there pre-model S so I don't know about charging. Sounds like you got an answer though. They pride themselves on being green and have a giant solar array so charging should fit their image. They should ditch the Lexus hybrids that they shuttle guests around with when the Model X comes out.

We stayed in a "Treehouse Room" and it was great. You can get plenty of views of the ocean on the walking trails, the restaurant and the infinity hot tubs. The treehouse rooms have views into the redwood forest. I think we had an ocean view through redwoods from our deck. Trust me, there isn't a bad room at this place.

I made my Facebook album containing the pictures I took Public. So you can take a look. The first pic is from the deck of our Treehouse, you can still see the water.

I think I might be able to get you 10% off, PM me if you want me to check.

I stayed there pre-model S so I don't know about charging. Sounds like you got an answer though. They pride themselves on being green and have a giant solar array so charging should fit their image. They should ditch the Lexus hybrids that they shuttle guests around with when the Model X comes out.

We stayed in a "Treehouse Room" and it was great. You can get plenty of views of the ocean on the walking trails, the restaurant and the infinity hot tubs. The treehouse rooms have views into the redwood forest. I think we had an ocean view through redwoods from our deck. Trust me, there isn't a bad room at this place.

I made my Facebook album containing the pictures I took Public. So you can take a look. The first pic is from the deck of our Treehouse, you can still see the water.

I think I might be able to get you 10% off, PM me if you want me to check.

I believe the Post Ranch Inn has installed a HPWC. A colleague of mine who recently bought a Tesla was going to stay there. I will follow up with him and let you know. Post Ranch Inn is truly a once in a lifetime experience.