Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A couple questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went on a test drive yesterday and the car was an dream to drive. Never spent that kind of money on a car, but my wife and I are definitely interested. Anyways, I thought of two questions that I'd love the answer to.

1) When you put in a destination on the map which is outside of your vehicle's remaining range, will it automatically route you through a charger? Will it account for the time it adds to the trip as far as the extra distance and/or the time spent charging?

2) During the drive they brought up the map with the superchargers marked. Does the map only show superchargers or does it also show other equipped charging areas (such as grocery stores, hotels, parking garages, etc). Whether or not the car does, is a map like this available online anywhere? I'd be curious to see what is available in my area.

I use recargo.com for locating charging stations. Plenty of spots in your area (and I've used some when driving to So Cal in my Roadster).

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 8.35.28 AM.png

- - - Updated - - -

Or another view :) ...

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 8.38.10 AM.png

One thing you will discover is that many people do the vast majority of their charging at home, with an inexpensive NEMA 14-50 outlet. It seems like most Tesla owners get by just fine with that, as opposed to getting a HPWC (which requires the dual, on-board chargers to get the full charging rate). Either way, you will always have a full charge when you leave home.

The Tesla Model S battery packs are so large that a typical L2 public charger takes quite a bit of time to give you much charge. The Model S has a long enough range that you don't really need to worry about charging outside your house for most daily activity.

2) During the drive they brought up the map with the superchargers marked. Does the map only show superchargers or does it also show other equipped charging areas (such as grocery stores, hotels, parking garages, etc). Whether or not the car does, is a map like this available online anywhere? I'd be curious to see what is available in my area.
It will (optionally) show any charging location that you have used. Touching the charging symbol lets you navigate there. Unfortunately it doesn't learn from other vehicles, i.e. there's no cloud-based storage of proven charge locations built in. As @bonnie suggests, though, Recargo has good maps. I'd also recommend Plugshare, which includes residential chargers that people are willing to share with others.

It will (optionally) show any charging location that you have used. Touching the charging symbol lets you navigate there. Unfortunately it doesn't learn from other vehicles, i.e. there's no cloud-based storage of proven charge locations built in. As @bonnie suggests, though, Recargo has good maps. I'd also recommend Plugshare, which includes residential chargers that people are willing to share with others.

And don't forget about the RV Parks app (rvparking.com). RV parks are often faster than public chargers.