Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the new heavier rotors that fix squeal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a week of damp/rainy weather and my brakes had a very annoying squeal whenever I came to a complete stop. I talked to my service center and he says there's a new brake rotor they can install that is supposed to fix the squeal, but it's 7 lbs heavier than the old one.

Wondering if anyone has this new rotor? Does it indeed fix the squeal? And have you noted any drawback due to the extra weight (ride or handling)?

I asked about that and according to the shop manager the issue is the rotor hitting a harmonic and using the rim as a tuning fork. Only way to fix it is to change the mass of either the rotor or rim. I'm not enough of a physicist to validate that, but it sounds plausible.

I asked about that and according to the shop manager the issue is the rotor hitting a harmonic and using the rim as a tuning fork. Only way to fix it is to change the mass of either the rotor or rim. I'm not enough of a physicist to validate that, but it sounds plausible.

Interesting... I was about to say my brakes have never really squeaked but then I have aftermarket wheels.

My brakes squeal all the time. It sounds as if the brake pads are shot. I asked the queens SC to look into that back in August and they said brake pads still look brand new and the squealing is "normal" thus they didn't do anything and they are still squealing today...

Pads remove excitation of the rotor/rim set. It works :)
I do not bother on MS as it only squeals when I shave off that last few mph coming to a stop. I can live with it.

and yes, changing mass to change the natural frequency of the system would do it too but that is like killing a gnat with a sledge hammer. Given the ridiculously low brake consumption on MS, carbon based pads will last the lifetime of the car. In addition (and no small addition) they do not dust anywhere near as much as stock pads.

Oh, and I used Poterfield on the Maranello. They have already figured out what works on MS as well.

I have the squeak and was able to get rid of 95% of it by coating the rotors with a spray of CRC antisqueal. I was able to do the fronts without removing the wheel and rotor. The rears have an inside shield and proper coating will requrie dissassembly of the rotor and caliper. The spray was available at our local Napa autoparts for ~$10

Anyone know how long this fix will last?

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05080-De-Squeak-Conditioning-Treatment/dp/B000M8H5M6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392310002&sr=8-2&keywords=CRC+brake+squeal

Last edited:
We have the squeal when coming to a stop like LCC - super annoying. I have a set of Carbotech 1521's (new pads) on order which fixed the problem on my Roadster and have the added benefit of better initial bite and no dust. Will report once I get them installed.

Ok, I'll go for the new rotors. Mine doesn't squeal too bad when it's warm & dry, but when it's damp it's really annoying. Especially since the car is so quiet at low speeds.

I had the new rotors installed. They showed me both side by side and area between the hat and the friction surface is different on the new ones. It's apparently a harmonic thing.

On other cars with squeaky brakes I've successfully dealt with squeal by "bedding-in" the brakes:

Instructions for bedding in your brakes

All brakes squeal due to the stick/slip nature of the friction. It's only when the squeal (or its harmonics) are in the audible range that it becomes a problem. Modification of the friction surfaces by bedding can change the frequency.

Of course, take care to be safe while doing this.

They replaced my front rotors and I haven't heard a single squeal since. P85+ with 21" rims up front. Merrill's description of when the squealed is identical to what I was experiencing.

Did they fix the squeal 100%?

FYI, until I replaced my 19's with 21's I never had a squeal. As stated above only happens at the end of a full stop, so the harmonics makes sense.