Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my build date approacheth I've had increasingly sleepless nights, wondering why I'm spending so much money on a car. And, being the cyclothymic sort, also worrying about having wimped out and ordered an 85, non-performance. Crazy. So I contacted my advisor and asked for another ride, another hit of the stuff lest I bail out entirely. Being a canny sort, and a really great guy, he sneakily arranged a ride in a 60, just off the truck. It had roof, air, tech, but not the super-sound.

Yikes. Those 60s are damn hot! It convinced me that I'll have no regrets with an 85 non-P. And the sound, to my unskilled ear but one that enjoys good music well-rendered, was more than just nice enough. I'm glad to have ordered the studio sound, if for no other reason than driving a lot in places with poor radio reception and occasional 3G gaps as well. But if I weren't planning to take regular road trips, and were always in range of non-satellite sound sources, I think I'd be delighted with a 60 and with "regular" sound. For those readers still wondering.

Bottom line: the least tricked-out Tesla is still way better than nearly any car on the road today. By far.

Another nice thing I discovered: I've never found the seats to be uncomfortable, and my wife hates the heavily bolstered ones in some cars: hard for her, being small, to get over the hump, as it were. But it appears the rumored fixes to the seats are in place. According to the adviser, this spanking new car (125 miles) had the improved seats, and they felt both supportive and better cushioned. Could be all in my head, or other parts. But they were just right for me.

Finally, he allowed as how there's another change coming soon that most will find reassuring as well. So stay tuned.

So the GBCW email I had in my "draft" box has been deleted. Bring it on!!

(I'll cross post this @ Tesla forums, too.)

Last edited:
As my build date approacheth I've had increasingly sleepless nights, wondering why I'm spending so much money on a car. And, being the cyclothymic sort, also worrying about having wimped out and ordered an 85, non-performance. Crazy. So I contacted my advisor and asked for another ride, another hit of the stuff lest I bail out entirely. Being a canny sort, and a really great guy, he sneakily arranged a ride in a 60, just off the truck. It had roof, air, tech, but not the super-sound.

Yikes. Those 60s are damn hot! It convinced me that I'll have no regrets with an 85 non-P. And the sound, to my unskilled ear but one that enjoys good music well-rendered, was more than just nice enough. I'm glad to have ordered the studio sound, if for no other reason than driving a lot in places with poor radio reception and occasional 3G gaps as well. But if I weren't planning to take regular road trips, and were always in range of non-satellite sound sources, I think I'd be delighted with a 60 and with "regular" sound. For those readers still wondering.

Bottom line: the least tricked-out Tesla is still way better than nearly any car on the road today. By far.

Another nice thing I discovered: I've never found the seats to be uncomfortable, and my wife hates the heavily bolstered ones in some cars: hard for her, being small, to get over the hump, as it were. But it appears the rumored fixes to the seats are in place. According to the adviser, this spanking new car (125 miles) had the improved seats, and they felt both supportive and better cushioned. Could be all in my head, or other parts. But they were just right for me.

Finally, he allowed as how there's another change coming soon that most will find reassuring as well; he made me promise not to talk about it yet. So stay tuned.

So the GBCW email I had in my "draft" box has been deleted. Bring it on!!

(I'll cross post this @ Tesla forums, too.)

You are going to love it. No looking back now! In no time, you will be petrol free! I've had my white + for almost a year now and onto 16k and love it. I handed it over to my wife when I decided to get a gray + for myself. :) Still no regrets and all smiles everytime I think about not having to fill up at the gas station.

Yikes. Those 60s are damn hot! It convinced me that I'll have no regrets with an 85 non-P. And the sound, to my unskilled ear but one that enjoys good music well-rendered, was more than just nice enough.

Thanks for the assurances! Much appreciated. I have also been a little bit worried with my plain S85 with plain audio package order, whether it would have made more sense to go for the P85 with the better audio package. But paying that much for only 1 second faster 0-100km/h times, especially when I will be driving about 6 months a year on studded winter tires (unable to enjoy the faster acceleration on icy roads), did not seem worthwhile. I will also mostly be listening to low-to-medium quality MP3 audio files, and have never had anything besides a base audio package on any of my cars, so I thought that perhaps the basic audio package is sufficient...

Thanks for giving me the peace of mind about my order!

Pate

@SS, @Pate, just for some further, additional, redundant reassurance: Nearly everyone on this forum seems to have a P or P+, and many are very vocal about how great the cars are (and I don't doubt them one bit!). But every time I read a "get the P or P+, you won't be sorry" post, I can't help but think, wait a minute, 90% of normal people won't be sorry with "just" an S (85 or 60). And you'll see the odd poster who is just as happy with a 60 or S85. Because, after all, as @SS put it, there *is* a bottom line.

I should add one more thing: in this most recent drive, I saw the standard headliner for the first time, and I must say I like the alacantara a lot better. Is it worth the extra $1,500? Matter of opinion, I'm sure. What I didn't like about the standard liner was the color, sort of cream, with the gray leather I've chosen (the car had both.) I guess with the tan interior it wouldn't matter as much. The other thing was the texture, which is less luxe than the sort of suede of the alacantara. I figured what the hell, I'm already spending three times as much as I ever thought I'd spend on a car, and have asked Tesla if they can change the headliner. Still about three weeks from build date, if the creek don't rise.

I am perfectly happy with my MS60. Do I need the extra speed of an 85 or a P? no. the car is faster than most cars out there, and the instant torque lets me change lanes without issue. Could I do with more range with an 85? sure...but maybe 0.5% of the time. I've driven from Socal up to Napa in my MS60 using the Supercharger network without a problem. It took longer than normal, but I was refreshed when I got to my destination due to the required stops. Remember, this is a HUGE financial burden for some of us...some went from 20 to 30K cars to this car. So for me the MS60 does all that I would want in a car, and was within (sorta) the budget I set for myself (had to add things I didn't need but got in case I wanted to sell).

I am perfectly happy with my MS60. Do I need the extra speed of an 85 or a P? no. the car is faster than most cars out there, and the instant torque lets me change lanes without issue. Could I do with more range with an 85? sure...but maybe 0.5% of the time. I've driven from Socal up to Napa in my MS60 using the Supercharger network without a problem. It took longer than normal, but I was refreshed when I got to my destination due to the required stops. Remember, this is a HUGE financial burden for some of us...some went from 20 to 30K cars to this car. So for me the MS60 does all that I would want in a car, and was within (sorta) the budget I set for myself (had to add things I didn't need but got in case I wanted to sell).
Glad you are happy with your choice. And that it works for you so well. Living in SoCal a 60 is probably very practical. Living in the South, Southeast or lower Midwest it is probably not nearly as practical. Some of us will not even be in driving range of a SuperCharger for more than a year or so, even with an 85!

I'm very happy with my 60 and it is certainly fast enough. Living is the Chicago area there really are very few times when the P+ could pay off. And anyways, since there are problems getting radar detectors to work in the car I don't need to tempt the police to give me any more tickets. You will love the S85.

Any model S is very good.
Be it a 60, or an 85.
More extended range was the difference factor for me, not the quicker acceleration of the 85.
S85 is the best car have ever owned, by quite a bit.

I have had a chance to drive both a P85, and P85+ as loaners.
But living in a large metropolitan area, I could not find an adequate opportunity to safely and prudently explore the more aggressive/faster capabilities of the P cars.
They are heck of a car, probably more car than I would ever be able to fully utilize, certainly not on a daily basis.

I am thrilled with my S85, am certain that you will be [thrilled] with yours too.

I ordered a pretty much fully loaded S85. The only things I didn't get (which were available at the time) were the 21" wheels and child seats. If I were ordering today, I would have added the Cold Weather Package, Parking Sensors and "Premium" interior. The upgraded interior was only available with the "P" package when I got my car.

I am quite satisfied with the S85. I drove both an S and a P before ordering and could not really tell the difference. I'm not an aggressive driver, and most of my travel is on the freeway with Cruise on. The S85 is already stupid fast.
With respect to the alacantara headliner, I would have paid extra NOT to have it. That is just a personal thing. I like the look of the "standard" headliner and just don't care for the fuzzy suede look.

With respect to the alacantara headliner, I would have paid extra NOT to have it. That is just a personal thing. I like the look of the "standard" headliner and just don't care for the fuzzy suede look.

I have this in my loaner car. I personally agree. It is distracting to me, the texture or something. Do not like.

The P on the other hand. I very much like that. And very noticeable.

Reading these forums, I see a number of people trying to badger prospective buyers into getting the P or P+ models. Looking at the delivery tracker, it seems that most forum readers are simply getting the standard S model.

Well, most Model S buyers never go to the forums unless they have a specific issue--TMC has 13,012 members, 3,553 active members, and not all of them own a Tesla of any kind.

Enthusiasts often get the P or P+ and are far more likely to be on a forum so the set of owners compared to owners that are active on TMC is skewed.

Reading these forums, I see a number of people trying to badger prospective buyers into getting the P or P+ models. Looking at the delivery tracker, it seems that most forum readers are simply getting the standard S model.
I won standard model s, not P. very happy with it. don't ever "floor it" acceleration more than enough for me and any "normal" driver. when i first placed order didnt have a p to test drive but later before committing was able to test drive P and couldnt tell the difference with the way i drove.

have to wonder how you could be badgered? are they typing in upper case? how would they know you wanted advise if you didn't ask?