Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Seats and Retro Fit Seats - Does anyone know when?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gpetti

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Seat improvements?

I noticed in the Oslo townhall meeting with Elon Musk that when he talked about improvements to the seats he said that one part of the improvements would probably go into production in the next week or two. As my car has just started building today, I'm wondering what the improvement is and whether it will be part of my car. Does anyone have any insights or further knowledge of this? I haven't re-listened to the video so it's possible I've extrapolated what Elon actually said into something more meaningful than was intended.

I'd guess it's going to be improvements to rear passenger comfort. There's been previous discussions about needed changes to make the Model S more suitable for the Asian market where a lot more owners are rear passengers, rather than drivers themselves.

But that's just a guess...

He agreed with a questioner who said the seats aren't as good as they could be. He said something like the issue is that the weight sensor in the seat keeps it stiffer and doesn't let you settle in deeper and more comfortably. I believe he hinted that they might be able to fix it with a software update.

And.. then I read this:

Elon Musk Talks Tesla Model X Details, Model S Upgrades, At Europe Q+A Sessions

• The production Model S will soon come off the line with improved front seats. "The seats should be more comfortable," said Musk. A modified spring force in the cushion will allow the driver to sink lower into the seat. The new seat is designed so it can be retrofitted to older cars. Musk also said that a second, more comprehensive seat upgrade is about a year away.

And.. then I read this:

Elon Musk Talks Tesla Model X Details, Model S Upgrades, At Europe Q+A Sessions

• The production Model S will soon come off the line with improved front seats. "The seats should be more comfortable," said Musk. A modified spring force in the cushion will allow the driver to sink lower into the seat. The new seat is designed so it can be retrofitted to older cars. Musk also said that a second, more comprehensive seat upgrade is about a year away.
thanks for posting.
This appears to be the one though not the exact quote I remember. I'm probably won't notice the difference as I've only sat in two Teslas for test drives over the last year or so. Will definitely appreciate it as I have very limited sitting endurance. Might ask my DS if my car includes this.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also like to see the seats have better side support for those times when I'm cornering hard. Maybe a sport seat option. :)
Sounds like a common request. My wife hates side supports but when I'm driving by myself I imagine things will get more "intense".

Several Swedish car magazines have complained about the poor design of the Tesla Model S headrests. They offer no whiplash protection at all. (You know, Volvo-country...)

However, as the European crash test EuroNCAP do check for whiplash protection we certainly hope Tesla Motors will improve their headrest before the cars get tested over here.

A buddy of mine who owns a Tesla told me that he was told his Retro-Fit Seats with better padding and springs will be available in 4 months but if you order today you will automatically get them? Can anyone verify this as I am very very close to placing my order. Thanks

Surely your salesperson (Tesla sales) can answer that. I read about it in Green Car Reports - it was a quote from Elon Musk, but there was no date given. It did say soon though. I emailed my Tesla service rep and she said she knew nothing yet. I definitely want retro-fitted more comfortable seats as soon as they're available. My advice is wait until you know for sure before ordering. As an owner I will tell you the existing seats are a little hard.

Here's the quote from http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090225_elon-musk-talks-tesla-model-x-details-model-s-upgrades-at-europe-qa-sessions:
The production Model S will soon come off the line with improved front seats. "The seats should be more comfortable," said Musk. A modified spring force in the cushion will allow the driver to sink lower into the seat. The new seat is designed so it can be retrofitted to older cars. Musk also said that a second, more comprehensive seat upgrade is about a year away.
The more comprehensive upgrade sounds interesting as well.

Several Swedish car magazines have complained about the poor design of the Tesla Model S headrests. They offer no whiplash protection at all. (You know, Volvo-country...)

However, as the European crash test EuroNCAP do check for whiplash protection we certainly hope Tesla Motors will improve their headrest before the cars get tested over here.

They also let your head roll right off the side. It's almost impossible to put your head back and sleep in the passenger seat.

A buddy of mine who owns a Tesla told me that he was told his Retro-Fit Seats with better padding and springs will be available in 4 months but if you order today you will automatically get them? Can anyone verify this as I am very very close to placing my order. Thanks
The news reports are quite brief on this. Here is what he actually said (transcript):

A(EM): Improved seat comfort? (Laugh.) I agree. The seats should be more comfortable. There is an upgraded seat that we're working on. Pretty sure it can be offered as a retrofit. I think one element is going into production this week or next week. I'm 90% sure they can be offered as a future upgrade. Element... adjusts the springs on the seat. One thing that's not quite right about the front seats is that the spring force is too high under the center of the butt. Raises you too much out of the seat. By modifying the spring force you sit better in the seat. Fairly easy thing to modify for existing seats. Looking to see if we can offer this for a minor cost. Longer term there's a bigger seat upgrade but that's probably more like a year. Seats are harder to modify than you might think because of the safety aspect. Sensor pad for the airbag for how heavy, and where located in the seat to adjust decision on how to deploy the airbag.

Raising this thread back up, I got a loaner today VIN 38XXX (I don't have the exact vin off-hand sorry), and when I sat down, I was like... Oh my! These are SOFT and comfy!

My car is 33853 so just about 5,000 cars later (and 2-3 months) and they must have changed something in the middle there. So, I am trying to find out from Rockville SC if this means that the new seats are out, and if and when a retrofit will be available. Especially since they have my car in the shop right now, if they can upgrade my seats I will be super happy!