Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markwj

Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
In the Hong Kong Model S design studio, Tesla talks about Hong Kong supercharging:

ui_option_supercharging_1_medium.jpg

Tesla Superchargers are external chargers designed to replenish over half of a charge in as little as 20 minutes. Tesla is planning to build a network of Superchargers in Hong Kong.

They are obviously not intended for road trips here, so what are they for?

Some local Roadster owners already take their cars to Tesla HPC stations once a week or so to fast-ish charge. Are Tesla intending something similar for SuperChargers here? Somewhere to take your car on the weekend to fast-charge while you have a meal? An answer for those without office / workplace charging?

Perhaps these Superchargers are also intended for in-town 'charge-ups' for the owners who would otherwise have problems charging the Tesla's at their residences?

Case in point - my brother in law was so impressed by my enthusiasm for my Tesla, that he has placed a reservation sight unseen for a P85 for his Zhong Shan residence in China. This is in addition to the Bentley he maintains in Hong Kong for the business and the Range Rover he commutes to Zhong Shan with. However, the Tesla was rejected out of hand for consideration to replace the family sedan for his mother because her building in Hong Kong mid-level doesn't have electricity in the parking area that is metered for individual tenants.

Since most of these sedans are driven by family chauffeurs, the Supercharger locations would just replace their regular visits to the gas station and be transparent to the owner/passenger.

If the US business model is any indication to HK, those Superchargers aren't very expensive to build. If they can strike some deals with HK's big landlords such as SHK, HL, MTR and Swire, or even with Science Park or Cyberport, it should be able to boost Tesla's image and get more HK public to know about Tesla's cars and their cause.

Also, there are quite a lot cross-border drivers commuting between HK and other Guangdong cities, with HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge nearing completion in 2 to 3 year, these stations may potentially come in handy for mainland (especially Guangdong) business travelers visiting HK briefly for meetings or conferences etc.

It might fit on the bigger China picture. But these are just my thoughts. As a customer, I'm happy they are rolling them out in HK for sure though.

Totally agree!

And if you cannot charge at home, which is the case for a vast majority of HK residents, imagine having 400+ km range and only having to charge once pr week or so, maybe even less, depending on driving requirements. At the moment I don't have access to charging, but I will enquire with the administration to see if I can install a charger myself. The issue might be that our parking garage doesn't have dedicated spots, so they would have to reserve one spot for each EV in this case.

And how about the metering, if I buy a charger for home use from Tesla Motors, any Tesla owner could potentially use it. This is not just about the money for the electricity, but also about the charger being available.

Until then I had planned to charge while I am at work or while shopping, as there are so many charging stations in HK anyway.

If the US business model is any indication to HK, those Superchargers aren't very expensive to build. If they can strike some deals with HK's big landlords such as SHK, HL, MTR and Swire, or even with Science Park or Cyberport, it should be able to boost Tesla's image and get more HK public to know about Tesla's cars and their cause.

Also, there are quite a lot cross-border drivers commuting between HK and other Guangdong cities, with HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge nearing completion in 2 to 3 year, these stations may potentially come in handy for mainland (especially Guangdong) business travelers visiting HK briefly for meetings or conferences etc.

It might fit on the bigger China picture. But these are just my thoughts. As a customer, I'm happy they are rolling them out in HK for sure though.

Totally agree!

And if you cannot charge at home, which is the case for a vast majority of HK residents, imagine having 400+ km range and only having to charge once pr week or so, maybe even less, depending on driving requirements. At the moment I don't have access to charging, but I will enquire with the administration to see if I can install a charger myself. The issue might be that our parking garage doesn't have dedicated spots, so they would have to reserve one spot for each EV in this case.

And how about the metering, if I buy a charger for home use from Tesla Motors, any Tesla owner could potentially use it. This is not just about the money for the electricity, but also about the charger being available.

Until then I had planned to charge while I am at work or while shopping, as there are so many charging stations in HK anyway.

How much does electricity cost for consumers and businesses in Hong Kong and China? In Seattle it's about 10 or 10.5 cents per kwh total for individuals at their home.

I use superchargers wherever and whenever (if I am not in a rush) en-route. I plugged it in and pulled it out when it tapper down (charge rate slow down ~80% SOC). Since it charges so quickly, I hardly feel I was waiting. I pulled out my iPhone and check emails/messages/news and the charge was done before I finished reading my emails.

Most people live in apartments, I love the superchargers in HK. Here in HK everyone seems to be in a rush. Took me over a 3 months to apply through the Owners committee of my apartment. I was required to buy insurance on my wall charger in case it sets fire to the apartment or the Ferrari 458 parked next to me . Need to run a 300 meter cable (40amp) from the electrical room to my parking space. Still meeting with HK electric company to have a meter installed. Total cost US$10,000 plus.
If I was renting the apartment I would even have a chance to have the wall charger installed. I kinda regret installing the home charger since I can just drive 10 mins to use the supercharger for absolutely FREE.
Feel like a sucker ! What do you guys think ?

20140911_143907.jpg

16amp avg, certified for 20amp system. 40m cable run, no walls to drill, and 1 large metal box to fit the charge box, cables, and the charger plus a meshed opening for easy access of the charger (so it isnt secured). all for the cost of $14000. should have costed less if we used the normal case just to lock the charger and box but not the cables. my management company have organized it for a few owners but i couldnt find the other installed chargers so i think cost shared between owners are minimal.

The international chambers of commerce are hosting a breakfast on 9 Dec - 'Can Hong Kong Become an All-Electric Transport City? ' I think this seminar would be able to give us some ideas....

With an expert group of speakers with both global and specific local expertise on electric vehicles and transport, to discuss and debate both the commercial and environmental benefits of proactively driving this bold vision for Hong Kong.
Our think tank session will review all elements of the ecosystem for both private and public transportation and the necessary conditions that would need to co-exist in order for EVs to be HK’s predominant form of transportation in the next 5-10 years.About the panellists:
TF Chow, Chief Operating Officer of CLP Power
TF manages the generation, transmission, distribution and information technology businesses. He first joined CLP Power in 1980. After working in the State Electricity Commission of Victoria in Australia in the late 80’s and early 90’s, he rejoined CLP Power in 1992. Since then, he had held various management positions in both the Power Systems and Marketing & Customer Services Business Groups. TF was the Director – Power Systems of CLP Power until he was appointed to his present position in October 2013.
Isabel Fan, Country Director of Tesla Motors Hong Kong
Isabel is focused on driving business growth with delightful experiences for customers in Hong Kong. Her career includes twenty-five years at major corporations in U.S. and Asia Pacific. During this time, Isabel spent 19 years working for Apple Inc. in Asia Pacific in channel retail development and enterprise, and education market development. She has strong expertise in strategic planning, partnership management, sales operations with an emphasis on improving efficiency, and productivity to drive results. Isabel has a strong passion for technology and how it works to enhance people’s life.
Dr. Wing-tat Hung, Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Dr. Hung lectures transport infrastructure development and its environmental impacts. His research interests fall in the areas of vehicle emissions, highway noise and safety as well as large infrastructure development. He is active in many professional bodies, including the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and Board member of the Hong Kong Society for Transportation Studies as well as the environmental group Conservancy Association.
Dr. Hung is currently a member of the assessment team to monitor the performance of electric vehicles funded by the Government’s Pilot Green Transport Fund.
Egidio Zarrella, Clients and Innovation Partner of KPMG
Edge is heavily involved in driving innovation both within and outside of KPMG. He has been an advisor in numerous areas including business and IT Strategy, off shoring and outsourcing, IT architecture and performance. He has significant experience in developing business and IT strategies including target operating models, business and systems architecture, and execution plans.
Edge is the firm’s leading speaker and advisor globally on Technology. He has been a major driver in the firm’s thought leadership in innovation and heavily involved in the start-up and entrepreneurial community of Hong Kong and broader China.
Moderator:
Sarah Clarke, TV Presenter, Reporter and Producer of ABC
Sarah presents the business program "AusBizAsia" on ABC TV and Australia Plus. She also hosted the TV program "The Environment Quarter" and was the award winning National Environment Correspondent for ABC from 2001 to 2013. She worked in the press gallery in Canberra as a political correspondent and as the defence and diplomatic correspondent.

Date:
Wednesday, 9 December 2015
Time:
Registration from 8:00am, Forum starts 8:15am and ends 10:00am
Venue:
KPMG, 8/F, Prince’s Building, 10 Chater Road, Central
To Book:
Please click here for online booking (Only Visa or Master Card is accepted for online payment); or
Paper booking form 151209 Can HK Become an All-Electric Transport City

Event Registration | AustCham