Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I really just order a car? Going to take the two weeks to confirm...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, another one of "those" posts of someone asking for validation/advice/camaraderie...but hey, it's midnight, the house is asleep, and who else am I going to share my excitement/nervousness/concerns with? I can't believe I just bought a car (let alone one 3x any other car I've bought) sitting at my computer at midnight. AHHH!!! Here we go...

- First time a buddy drove into my driveway and I got my first taste: June 2013
- First official test drive: July 2013...was almost late to my own daughter's birthday party...no joke
- The freeze: relocated the family in August to a new state...car talk was put on hold as I focused on getting everyone settled
- Most recent test drive: 2 weeks ago (P85)
- Months of reading this forum and torturing my wife: since that test drive in July

I know everyone has better things to do than give advice, but again, it's Midnight and I just made a $100K+ purchase...I need to type this out!!!

What I got (and why)
- 85 (short commute, but lots of road trips planned)
- Performance (this was probably the one I waffled on the most...I've NEVER been the M-series BMW guy...never been a performance car guy...but test driving the P was intoxicating...I may still switch this back to an S)
- Grey (personal preference)
- Grey Leather (was going black but concerned about the interior being too dark...especially in the gloomy PNW)
- Pano Roof (helps with the gloomy PNW)
- Fog (I have lots of fog and rural roads where I live)
- Obeche Matte (was going carbon but liked the wood/organic feel...went Matte due to three kids 8 and under)
- Parking Sensors (no debate)
- Tech (no debate)
- Rear Facing Seats (3 kids ages 8, 6, and 3...those seats were made for us!)
- UHFS (I know it's not the world's greatest, but wanted good sound and sub without going aftermarket)
- HPHC (I like the dual chargers...options on road trips)
- Air Suspension (This one was the hardest. Literally the last box I checked. I do go to the mountains quite often and being more rural I'm often on gravel roads)

Still need to buy:
- Center Console
- All Weather Mats (see kids above)
- Tire Repair Kit
- Chains (see mountains comment above)
- XPel Wrap (see "+" below)

Waffled on (I'm going to try to ignore all the "Go +!!!" replies but here we go...)
- +Package...I know people say it's what the "P" should have been. I know the handling is amazing. But I go back to the fact that I wasn't even going to go "P." This will be a commuter car and hauling the family of 5 around car. I'm not going to the track. I'm not doing any crazy handling maneuvers. I figured I'd love the instant torque of the "P" but had trouble justifying the handling aspect of the "+" given my driving. Especially since I'm not looking for the headaches (and expense) that comes with 21" wheels. In order to do + it would cost me $4,500 for 21s, $6,500 for the package, and an entirely new set of 19" rims for my winter tires. I'd much rather spend all that on a Wrap/Tint job. Unless of course someone here has an amazing ability to persuade! This is going to be a painful two weeks before I confirm.
- Sub Zero...while I do like to go to the mountains occasionally, I do live in the Seattle area where it doesn't get that cold and the car is garaged. I almost threw it in for those ski trips...still may...
- Lighting...I like lighting as much as the next guy but this seemed to not be worth $1K

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight (or for the next two weeks...)

Fire away...I'm open to feedback. But I also wouldn't be surprised to get no responses. Thanks for being my support group.

(not putting in the fancy signature until it's confirmed!)

Congrats on the decision. I hope it is a car you plan on keeping a long time to get your use and money out of it.
- HPHC (I like the dual chargers...options on road trips)
My understanding is this won't be used unless you are charging at greater than 40 amp. Do you know if the road trips you are planning have places to charge that would have that? ie. campground with a NEMA 14-50 may only give you 40 amps (31 miles per hour)

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
Some campgrounds, especially KOAs, have 50A outlets and are willing to permit EVs to charge, possibly for a fee. Again, call ahead. Ask for “50 Amp” – the owners don’t know what 240V is, and they don’t know what a NEMA 14-50 is.

More power is always better – some J1772 stations only provide 24A, and often their power source is 208V instead of 240V. Sometimes it’s just better to go to a campground. Or see if another Tesla owner from the forums will lend you a plug!
I don't know of plug in locator sites that list the amperage where you could easily see about regular charging stations - ie. PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!
Looks like CarStations | Charging Station Map and Locations for Electric Cars lets you narrow down to places with a NEMA 14-50.

Last edited:
Did you drive an S85? From your post, it sounds to me like it would suit your needs/wants. All Teslas have instant torque...

Congrats, and get ready for lots of sleepless nights stalking this forum!

S85 Gray/gray with carbon fiber is my pretend MS #2, FYI! Maybe one day...

Congrats!

You may not need P85... I would see if you can locate anyone in your area with an S85 to compare...

Also, see if you can make your way to a store to look at the two gray colors together... We discussed gray/gray but the two grays are very different. Exterior is a cool gray (blue/gray) and interior is a warm gray (red/gray). In our opinion it didn't work as well as gray over black. It's worth looking at for a moment.

Congrats and welcome!

You have made some great choices. They have obviously been well thought out. Don't let some here talk you out (or into) anything! I originally ordered an S85 but thought to myself that I might miss the P package down the road. I ended upgrading to the P85 and I definitely have not regretted that choice. Right now you are already probably wearing the Tesla Grin (TM) just based on having placed your order. If you are like most of us you are wondering if you really should have made that purchase. Again, these are all normal feelings. Once you get over that initial doubt, the waiting comes! That's the most difficult part of this experience. But...wait for it...when it arrives that grin will be indelibly planted! Hang in there!!!

I have the grey/black, love the grey (so you got the best color!) and I like the seat contrast. Seattle may not be ski trip cold but I have essentially the same weather and the heated front seats are sooooo nice. With 3 kids I imagine rear seat heating would be highly appreciated - it has been for my few passengers. It's that wet cold that seeps into your bones. Although the ability to preheat via the web will help a lot too. Re P/S - everyone always says they don't regret getting a P -- well, I don't regret *at all* getting an S. It's still faster and more responsive that almost anything else on the road. Thumbs up to dual chargers because you mentioned trips - if you come to Canada the Sun Country Highway has many 100, 90 and 60 amp chargers, and they are starting in the US now. Especially with family in tow the quicker you aren't forced to wait the better (says he who hasn't taken a road trip yet...but I know my wife's feelings very well!).

Congrats on your order -- even two, or more, test drives will not prepare you for the absolutely thrilling experience of daily driving. :)

Thank you all! I actually did get a little sleep last night...but you can imagine the first place I came this morning! Wife asked what time I went to bed last night, not many times in your life you can say "Unfortunately it was after 1am...but that's because I bought a car!" A quick update:

- I added sub-zero. Thanks @Ugliest1
- @scottf200...I know true needs for dual chargers is limited right now, but given three little kids taking a relaxing break on a road trip is not always the easiest option (@Ugliest1 mentioned this too)! So if getting this option means I can stop by a Tesla Service Center and use a HPWC, it's worth it.
- Interior color has been a tough call for me. @NEWDL we did do the color chips in the store, but it's so hard to tell how it will look in person. In the store we actually test drove a Pearl White and Grey and I thought the Grey was too light...but based on subsequent research I'm hoping it's better with Grey exterior. It felt like a nice compromise between the beige and black. I stopped by a service center the other day (just service, no deliveries) and they didn't have a Grey/Grey. I may try and make it over to main service/delivery center before I finalize to try and see one.
- I'm actually surprised at the P responses. A few pro-P, a few saying I wouldn't miss it! Speaks to what a great car it is. I wish the test drives offered a S to compare. I know they are trying to upsell, but it would be really nice to be able to drive one.
- @Chipper...your post was spot on. Tesla grin combined with "what have I just done?" ...thanks for the re-assurance.

Thanks again! Keep the feedback coming!

You seem like a practical sort, MiddKid (well except for the '3x more than previous cars' bit :biggrin:). You've settled on 19" wheels: why go P85 when the factory all-seasons can't deliver that much torque to the road without slipping, unless conditions and pavement are perfect? The S85 is still a whole lot of performance for someone who's not a performance car guy; you owe it to yourself to find a local owner willing to let you drive their S85.

Good call on the cold weather package: your rear seat passengers will thank you, and it'll be useful on trips, too.

Best of luck, and I hope the wait isn't too unbearable.

The Tesla Model S Delivery Checklist and Buyers/Owners Guide has a great breakdown on features: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nlZhDYtCinX_Wkb9OST-QBzervVp5yABMVBS266Q3W4/

The HPWC or dual chargers don't seem worthwhile: it's for the cases when you need a charge that is faster than 40 amps but not as fast as a Supercharger. Anytime you need a charge that's slower than a Supercharger, you're probably doing an overnight charge, and a single charger is sufficient. Considering the cost of the HPWC and dual chargers, a Chademo adapter makes sense, whenever they are released.

Last edited:
@Middkid

As I understand it, both the Grey and the Tan interior are pretty light colors. And I have read somewhere here on TMC that certain kinds of denim fabrics for instance, after a certain amount of use, can leave colorings on both the Tan and the Grey leather seats. Again, as I understand it, these kinds of colorings from denim fabrics can be cleaned off from the seats, but it’s a process that will have to be repeated with a certain regularity. And as you yourself write, you also have young children…

The Model S has a ~white interior headliner. I’ve never actually been inside a Model S, but I have been inside cars with black leather interior and ~white headliners without pano/sunroof that are smaller than the Model S. The latest European VW Passat Stationwagon for instance (the Euro Passat is smaller than the North American Passat). And that car’s interior didn’t feel to dark at all. And South of Sweden is also often a kind of dark and gloomy place this time of the year…

So I would consider switching to black leather if I were you.

Last edited:
If you like to gun it at lights and on ramps the P85 may be worth it. The S85 still has plenty of pickup. I'm not saying don't get the P85 but if you are trying to trim budget I don't think you'd be disappointed with S85. Best to do a test drive though. Good luck.

First: congratulations! This is a purchase I've never regretted even a little bit; I hope you enjoy your Model S as much.

My gripe with the gray interior is that I think it clashes slightly with the cream-colored headliner. Therefore, I'd go with the black interior with the gray exterior.

Good call on omitting the ambient lights. They were bundled with the Tech Package back when, but mine stay off because of an annoying buzz they create.

If you like to gun it at lights and on ramps the P85 may be worth it. The S85 still has plenty of pickup. I'm not saying don't get the P85 but if you are trying to trim budget I don't think you'd be disappointed with S85. Best to do a test drive though. Good luck.
Well put.

From 20+ mph, you likely won't really appreciate the $10k (or whatever it is now) difference between S and P.
From 0-20 mph, you might but not if you look at your energy graph when leaving lights. ;)

In case it's helpful, some questions to mull over:
1. If I don't spend the extra for the P (or P+), do I "feel" it financially (or is it more like "in for a penny, in for a pound")?
2. If I don't spend the extra for the P (or P+), what would I spend the extra money on instead? (Are there other "fun" spends that I would get instead?)
3. If I don't spend the extra for the P (or P+), does it put me in a better position to get the wife an X and/or to buy me another S when she decides she wants this one to be her car?

…/Good call on omitting the ambient lights. They were bundled with the Tech Package back when, but mine stay off because of an annoying buzz they create.
Your car was a pretty early build at #1536. I’m pretty sure I’ve read on here somewhere that that buzz has since been fixed. I'm also pretty sure I've also read on here somewhere that there is a fix available to remove the buzz from a car such as yours.

Last edited:
I really like the gray interior with black. Since our exterior is silver, I don't know how it goes with the gray exterior. I am not sure if you need the two chargers as the supercharger network grows. It is fine to charge at night slowly on a trip if you can use superchargers during your drive. The S85 will smoke almost anything on the road and amaze your passengers--I agree with the others that you may not need the P upgrade. I like the ambiance lighting but it was not a separate option on our early delivery car.