Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Thought I would start a little thread on Superchargers along I-70 from Denver to St. Louis now that we are into 2014. I live in the Kansas City area and am watching very closely for any news I can find on Supercharger permits or installs (found nothing so far). I travel between KC and Columbia weekly, and from Columbia to St. Louis periodically, and have family in Denver and Memphis I visit from time to time. That is A LOT of I-70 travel so naturally I am very eager to see some Supercharger action along this route. Completion of Superchargers on this route is a requirement before I will consider buying a Tesla.

If you hear any rumors or have any information on any installs this year and want someone to check it out more closely, message me. I am eager to visit any rumored or planned locations, take pictures, and provide the Tesla community with regular updates on construction progress.

- Skotty

Quite interested in the I-70 corridor of charges as well. Talked to the server center here in Saint Louis and Tesla is at least looking at getting some HPWC chargers installed as soon as possible in Kansas City, Columbia, and Saint Louis for the short term. The SC are on the 2014 map but I'd sure love to have them sooner than later!

We are ready to go east from Denver! I'm going to bet on Limon, CO and then Colby area (?) Not much else out there. (Burlington is too far from Silverthorne, for westbound, without a major SC in the Denver metro on I-70 ). Then one more in there somewhere to get near KC. Maybe west of Salina (?) The exact red dots on tesla.com are just for guesses it seems...

I am trying to keep the big picture in mind and realize that Tesla can't build a Supercharger Rome in a day...but yea, this is clearly the corridor I need/want the most (dropping a couple along I-44 wouldn't suck either). We've got a Model X on order and one of the main reasons we need/want an SUV is for our ski trips to Colorado.

HPWCs would be OK interim steps, but really not adequate for cross country trips.

That sounds fantastic, Evan. When out of state folks start arriving in the mountains with their Teslas, we have reached the Magic Kingdom. I've had the Model S up over numerous passes, in many condistions, including Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park in September. It is absolutely a hoot to drive this car in the hills!

Yeah, that is one of the unsung beauties of an electric car, with absolutely no power loss at high altitude. It is also amusing to gain range as you go on a long downhill segment in the mountains.

I have family in Topeka, so I could really take advantage of having two-three superchargers along I-70 in Eastern Colorado and across Kansas.

Kansas is a great place. Spent many a summer vacation on one of the homestead prairie farms around Colby as a kid. Impressionable on a ten year old. It is interesting that Kansas has some of the lowest e-rates in the country. For example McPherson north of Wichita sells industrial kwH at about 4 cents. That's approaching a penny a mile for a Model S, at least in the summer.

did you see the picture from the hawthorne supercharger showing two superchargers in Kansas coming soon? Goodland and Salina the likely locations. check out the Tesla Supercharger Network thread. Looks like the I70 buildout is starting! Exciting news!

Guess I'll start hunting for information again. Once they have some superchargers in Kansas and Missouri, the idea of getting a Tesla starts getting real for me. My work requires me to travel pretty far on I-70 regularly, so they are a real necessity to me, not just a range anxiety or vacation travel cure.

- - - Updated - - -

I skimmed the Silina, KS City Commission meeting minutes all the way back through November of 2013 and didn't see anything mentioned. Not sure if it would show up in there though.

I live in SF Bay Area, just got my Model S last weekend ... ( in St. Louis this weekend ) - and hoping to make the drive from SF to STL sometime soon - to show of that you can travel cross country in an electric car, and show it off to family members, some of which haven't heard of Tesla. Would really like to happened before the Winter 2014 sets in.

Yes, theoretically, I could do this now, but the I-70 between Denver and STL would be a bit nicer.

apparently someone took a new picture of the supercharger dashboard at Hawthorne and the Kansas ones are no longer showing as "coming soon". Hopefully it just means they are a little bit farther from ready and not a huge delay!