Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SB 6272 and HB 2524 to prevent new Tesla stores in Washigton state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got word from Oly that they are starting to talk about striking the provisions that impede Tesla and other potential new car manufacturers or industry innovators.
There needs to be more calls and letters to make it happen. We need more voices from consumers to give this some legs.

Sent messages to all of the co-sponsors that I personally know asking them to amend the bill and cc'd our lobbyist (healthcare, so not in the loop on transportation and dealer issues--but involved in AWB) so he can keep the heat on all that he knows.

I sent mail to my local reps as I know both of them reasonably well. Here is the email I sent one. Please feel free to draw on it but it would best if you personalize. The legislators love to hear from their constituents, especially if it doesn't look like a form letter.

-----------------------------------
Dear xxxx

I don't normally speak up to my legislators about pending bills but in the case of SB 6272 and HB 2524, I am very concerned that these bills are trying to restrict automobile makers from selling directly to consumers. While the auto dealers claim it's for the consumer's protection, it really is about protecting their markets and keeping automotive start ups like Tesla Motors out of Washington. In fact it restricts consumer choice. The overwhelming cost of setting up a dealer network is the reason that there have been no successful new American car manufacturers since World War II. That is, until Tesla Motors started using the Internet to sell cars. Over 1100 people in Washington have bought a Tesla Electric Vehicle this way. And, Tesla Motors has super high customer satisfaction so they must be doing something right. Tesla is the first successful new American car company in more than 60 years. They are creating American jobs and exporting cars to Europe and Asia.

Full disclosure, I own a Tesla Model S and am very pleased with the experience. There was no pressure. I was able to select only those features I wanted and they built the car to my exact selection. It was all done on-line. No sales manager tactics, last minute add-ons and options I didn't want. The experience convinced me that this is the wave of the future in auto retailing. It would be a shame to see it get shut down.

If you have a little time, I would love to give you a ride in my Tesla so you can see for yourself what all the fuss is about.

Here is the response from my district rep:

Stephen, the bill did not get out of the House or Senate Committees before the deadline to consider bills in committee. The bills are most likely dead for this year.

State Representative Sam Hunt
Democrat--22nd District
Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater, and Northern Thurston County
438-B Legislative Building
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7992
My Homepage
Committees:
Chair, Government Operations & Elections
Appropriations
Education

I've spoken personally with 3 legislators who were co-sponsors of the bill. All of them say the dealer association "pulled the wool over our eyes" and glossed over Sec 1, the offensive section. Tesla has met with at least one of these 3 yesterday. They are on it. All I've spoken to are going to either amend or let the bill die a normal legislative death.

The article has been updated with some good news:

UPDATE
: Rep. Reuven Carlyle, who chairs the state’s finance committee, is not too wild about the idea. He sent us this statement about the legislation this evening:
“Tesla’s embrace of a direct, open competition sales approach is exactly what we say we want from old style, traditional industries to survive—innovation, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit. The ridiculous notion that the political process in the Legislature should intervene in the marketplace of ideas in the automobile industry to prevent Tesla from direct sales is patronizing at best, and many of us are committed to defeating this special interest legislation.”

The article has been updated with some good news:

UPDATE
: Rep. Reuven Carlyle, who chairs the state’s finance committee, is not too wild about the idea. He sent us this statement about the legislation this evening:
“Tesla’s embrace of a direct, open competition sales approach is exactly what we say we want from old style, traditional industries to survive—innovation, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit. The ridiculous notion that the political process in the Legislature should intervene in the marketplace of ideas in the automobile industry to prevent Tesla from direct sales is patronizing at best, and many of us are committed to defeating this special interest legislation.”

Great news. Always amazes me when politicians actually make the right decision.