Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S limited 40/60 kWh - SOLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S limited 40/60 kWh

For sale is a super rare 40 kwh Tesla Model S, 22,688 miles
Vin xxxx-11223
Tesla made very few of the 40kwh model, it is actually a 60kwh hour model with a software limit to 40kwh for maximum range of 135-140 miles.

You can unlock the full battery capacity for $11k from Tesla

Cost of this car IF you could purchase it today
40/60kwh Model S $62,400
White Solid Paint-Included
Premium audio - $2,500
Panoramic Roof- $2,500
Rear Facing Seats - $2,500
Premium Interior Lighting - $1,000
Destination and Regulatory Doc Fee - $1,170
22" $3,800
3M window tinting $500

Total current replacement cost: $76,370 plus tax title and license (it would cost you almost $80k to build a similar 60 kwh car today)

The car is in perfect conditions, no accidents, no dents, no scratches, no stories

Asking $69,999 22" Nichie wheels with out wheels 64,900

Open to offers

List Date: 1/30/2014

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Tesla Model S limited 40/60 kWh
--------------------------------------
SOLD

browseformore.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

MenaJHYfrmb72.jpg
rmPrk0QUyC7W.jpg
h6TXXMeKcaCQ.jpg

I'm interested too, but I agree that the price is high and let's just say that those wheels are... not my cup of tea. Have original 19" still? Price with those?

- - - Updated - - -

For comparison, there is a loaded 60 for $75k listed here that has been posted for almost a month without getting sold: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/26270-2013-model-s-60-subzero-package-tech-package

I would be interested but your price it outrageous.

Questions:
What is the VIN of this car?
What is actual mileage?

I'm gonna guess that it's 19,985 miles, and a lot of miles on this car in a short time since it is a 40 and earliest it would have come out of the factory was Spring or whenever last year. I'm grappling with why anyone would pay anything close to this price when they will not be receiving the $7500 federal tax credit? It must be the "rarity" of owning a discontinued 40 model!!

I am in the market for a 40 as well, but the price point on this one made me not think twice about it. If you are actually interested in selling this, it is honestly a 50k car (brand new, after all tax credits, this car was probably less than 60k out the door).

OP, can you clarify how you are getting $76k (or even $90k)? Are there more options that you haven't listed? On teslamotors.com I priced a new 60 with the options you included (minus the wheels and tint) for a total of $72,070 after the $7,500 tax credit.

So 73k and an addtl 11k to get the 60kw battery, no thanks. You have overpriced this car but there is always a sucker that will pay.

good luck with sale,

Ian B

And don't forget, this car probably has at least 19k miles on it, probably just shy of 20k. It would be $20k too much even for a brand new car (without the tax credit), it may be $25k too much for this car. But hey, good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Why pay $73 for a 40 when you could pay $75 or less for a 60....doesn't make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

My car not sold has nothing to do with price or lack of interest.

So you've had lots of interest to buy your car and apparently at or near the price you're asking for, but still haven't sold it?

And don't forget, this car probably has at least 19k miles on it, probably just shy of 20k. It would be $20k too much even for a brand new car (without the tax credit), it may be $25k too much for this car. But hey, good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

So you've had lots of interest to buy your car and apparently at or near the price you're asking for, but still haven't sold it?

Can't sell it until my new car arrives.

Oh right, missed the mileage hint. I have to admit it takes some devoted driving habits to put 20k worth of miles on a 40 in that short of a timeframe...

I agree with the assessment on this thread: you're asking price is unrealistic especially considering that the crowd you're pitching to is highly educated on the topic. But if you're serious about selling, PM me and we can talk about what is realistic.

geosynch

For what it is worth, I had made an offer for the same car via craigslist. $61,000, with explanations: based on a new 60 kWh's pricing, options, $7,500 Fed tax credit, $2,500 CA tax credit, etc. I still thought my offer was a bit high (really wanted one). But as soon as the seller got my offer price, no more email replies from the seller. Guess they are not interested in $61K.

In my humble opinion, buyers for a second hand Model S will likely do some research. If they had over $100K cash to plunk down on a new P85+, they won't be looking at a second hand 40 kWh.

Looking at this email thread, there is a lot of interest on the car. Hope the buyers find their Model S's, and the seller can sell their car.

$45k is what I was thinking too based on the following: $76,370 original MSRP, less $3800 for wheels I care nothing about is $72.6k new. Less the $10k the owner got in incentives ($7.5k federal + $2.5k state) less an additional $1/mi based on Tesla practice for inventory cars brings it to $42.6k. I then rounded up to $45k based on $1/mi may be a good number for the first few 1,000 miles, but once you hit north of 10k miles, $1/mi is a bit steep; i.e. I couldn't expect "free" for a car with 60k miles.

I could probably be talked up to $50k if the seller was motivated. But they aren't. I got no PM. I'll keep looking.

geosynch

Less the $10k the owner got in incentives ($7.5k federal + $2.5k state)
I wouldn't include this in your calculations. It doesn't matter what he paid. What I would include is the incentives I wouldn't get when buying his used vs. buying a new one.

So, for example, in my case the federal incentive (that affects me) is relevant but the CA state incentive (that affects him but not me) is not. Also, if there's sales tax on the used purchase that's in the CON column because there's no tax on new EV in WA.

20k miles? I can't believe anyone would pay more than 45k... Doesn't Tesla take $1/mi as depreciation when doing appraisals?

Wait, so I can buy a Model S with 70,000 miles on it for a couple of grand? Sign me up I'd shell out $10,000 for a Model S any time in the next year or two if someone gets enough miles on it. :)

I'm sure $1/mile makes sense on a car with only a few thousand miles on it as depreciation is huge at the beginning on any new car. But I think that rate doesn't work when the car gets older.

I suppose the floor would have to be at least $20,000 more than used Leaf in similar condition and those are going for about $15,000 right now (yep I'd buy a used leaf at $10,000 if I could find one of those in like new condition also).

Personally the Model S is worth more to me with 19" wheels (even more if they are the aero wheels) due to the increased range on more efficient wheels/tires. So the fact this is a 40KW limited S with 22" wheels limits the range two ways but if I got it cheap enough I could put proper wheels/tires back on it.

In the end I'm sure its worth more than I'd spend for it but I wouldn't start from top price and deduct miles, I'd start from bottom price for Model S and work up for any feature it has added that I would actually pay for.

Last edited:
Let me back the seller just a little bit:

For all of us who already own Models Ss, it is in our best interest that re-sales occur at the highest possible prices. And the more Very High Asking Prices that are out there, the greater the likelihood that the overall clearing price of the brand goes and stays high.

Okay, now that I've put that out, I agree with the sentiment of most of the other respondents: that is a very aggressive price, and I wish the seller good luck! I absolutely do not think it appropriate for a lot of the snide remarks that have been made to remain. Think about it this way: if you offered something for sale on a forum, and were treated to the barrage of insult shown here, would you stick around, or take your marbles elsewhere? I know my response would not be "Gee - you're right. I really am a d**mb*ss. Thanks for letting me know that. I guess I'll lower my price XX and sell it to you".