Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LPP questions/discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterJA

Sep 26, 2013
San Diego
Hi folks. I have written an article about an alt-energy startup I researched. Here is the beginning:

The Mother of All Alternative Energy Investments

About a year ago, I stumbled across a tiny startup company that excites me as much as Tesla Motors.

Lawrenceville Plasma Physics in Middlesex, New Jersey has a staff of under a dozen and private investment of only $3M so far, yet they have done what thousands of other scientists and billions of government dollars have not. LPP is closer than anyone in the world to the holy grail of alternative energy research: clean, safe, limitless, dirt-cheap, 24/7 electric power from nuclear fusion....
Continued at the website of sleepyhead and Norse, The Contrarian Investor:

Discussion here:
The Mother of All Alternative Energy Investments | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board

Hi folks. I have written an article about an alt-energy startup I researched. Here is the beginning:

Continued at the website of sleepyhead and Norse, The Contrarian Investor:

Discussion here:
The Mother of All Alternative Energy Investments | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board

I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion here about this - lively one over at TCI. This is a very interesting company and concept with the potential for huge investment returns. It is of course very speculative and I wouldn't invest except with money I would be willing to part with (ie. invest and forget about it), but the potential for success seems to be there. Also the fact that it could make such a dramatic improvement for the world (clean, cheap local energy production) is what really got me interested (I invested in LPP about 4 months ago).

Thanks for taking the time to write that article PeterJA.

Agree with pz1975, it looks very interesting. I first saw this in August and tried to interest my local popular science media in the story, but no response so far. (Time to try again.) I am in the process of investing a smallish amount, mainly for the possible benefit of heirs ;) but am still raising the cash. It is much easier for non-USians since we do not need to overcome the rigorous obstacles SEC puts in the way of US investors, who in brief have to prove they are good for a million and able to stand a total loss of the capital.

Also agree the risk is very very high, from the whole theory being wrong in principle to practical problems like leaky gaskets, to the whole project being more or less a one-man-show, to running out of money too soon, etc. But on the flip side, the global energy market must be the biggest money ever, so any tiny part of that would make anybody super-rich. (Also a significant risk factor, from very angry and powerful competition ... )

The LPP shares can effectively not be traded at all, at least not until an eventual IPO. So buy and forget, long term. Do not expect to ever see that money again. But if it turns out to actually work, the sky is the limit. Almost literally.

I don't really expect to gain a windfall from that investment, but I still do want to buy into the feeling to have at least tried to make the world a little bit better. A relatively inexpensive, compact, mobile (even in trucks, aircraft and ships), 5 MW source of unlimited, very cheap electricity, totally free from toxic waste products and radioactivity - what's not to like?

And if you do not yet qualify as an investor, you can still contribute to the crowd funding or buy some T-shirts.

Agree with pz1975, it looks very interesting. I first saw this in August and tried to interest my local popular science media in the story, but no response so far. (Time to try again.) I am in the process of investing a smallish amount, mainly for the possible benefit of heirs ;) but am still raising the cash. It is much easier for non-USians since we do not need to overcome the rigorous obstacles SEC puts in the way of US investors, who in brief have to prove they are good for a million and able to stand a total loss of the capital.

Also agree the risk is very very high, from the whole theory being wrong in principle to practical problems like leaky gaskets, to the whole project being more or less a one-man-show, to running out of money too soon, etc. But on the flip side, the global energy market must be the biggest money ever, so any tiny part of that would make anybody super-rich. (Also a significant risk factor, from very angry and powerful competition ... )

The LPP shares can effectively not be traded at all, at least not until an eventual IPO. So buy and forget, long term. Do not expect to ever see that money again. But if it turns out to actually work, the sky is the limit. Almost literally.

I don't really expect to gain a windfall from that investment, but I still do want to buy into the feeling to have at least tried to make the world a little bit better. A relatively inexpensive, compact, mobile (even in trucks, aircraft and ships), 5 MW source of unlimited, very cheap electricity, totally free from toxic waste products and radioactivity - what's not to like?

And if you do not yet qualify as an investor, you can still contribute to the crowd funding or buy some T-shirts.

Totally agree. This is an investment, that IF it pays off, will probably add to your inheritance, unless you are in your 30s, early 40s Max.....Obviously, just my opinion. Another comment on the site under discussion indicated that these companies make it 'big' about 10% of the time. The other 90%+ burn through the cash and you are left with nil. This is also true.
*Research thoroughly* before investing. As I commented on that other site, I hope that it succeeds and makes a few LPPillioniares

Totally agree. This is an investment, that IF it pays off, will probably add to your inheritance, unless you are in your 30s, early 40s Max.....

Guys, thanks for your interest. Of course I agree that LPP is a speculative investment, but I don't agree that only investors younger than early 40s could benefit.

LPP's timeline is:
Proof of hydrogen-boron ignition: 1-2 years
Design of a prototype fusion generator: 4 more years
Preparation for mass-production by nonexclusive licensees: 2 more years

Of course the latter intervals are harder to predict, but the first one is quite reasonable, based on everything LPP has done. All the science predicts that their fusion yields will dramatically increase this year, and big boy investors may swoop in even before ignition is achieved. When LPP achieves ignition, the whole world will hear about it, and investors will be breaking down LPP's door to get in.

Guys, thanks for your interest. Of course I agree that LPP is a speculative investment, but I don't agree that only investors younger than early 40s could benefit.

LPP's timeline is:
Proof of hydrogen-boron ignition: 1-2 years
Design of a prototype fusion generator: 4 more years
Preparation for mass-production by nonexclusive licensees: 2 more years

Of course the latter intervals are harder to predict, but the first one is quite reasonable, based on everything LPP has done. All the science predicts that their fusion yields will dramatically increase this year, and big boy investors may swoop in even before ignition is achieved. When LPP achieves ignition, the whole world will hear about it, and investors will be breaking down LPP's door to get in.

Peter has done a lot of research on this company and the prospects for success and the timetable for that success. Thank you Peter for your hard work and for sharing this information for the betterment of TMC potential investors.

I agree that potential payoff is much less than 25-30 yrs. I think best-case scenario is what PeterJA states above, but my expectations are more like 10-15 yrs since science usually takes longer than planned. I am hopeful to be surprised by scheduled success though!

Peter has done a lot of research on this company and the prospects for success and the timetable for that success. Thank you Peter for your hard work and for sharing this information for the betterment of TMC potential investors.

Yes, thank you Peter. Question: Though I easily meet the criteria of assets and income to be allowed to invest, does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of shares that are required to purchase?

I concur, I mean I tend to agree. :)

Make that 3! Initially was 25K, now 5K.

I invested in one of these start up companies last year. Asking investment initially was $75K...too rich for me I indicated. They ended up being very happy for a check a fraction of that size. It has nothing to do with alternative energy....A fantasy football company. Probably should have saved the $ for LPP.:wink:

Anyone not in the US been able to invest in LPP? I looked in to it 2 years ago but it seemed hard for someone in the EU to invest?

Check out this thread: The Mother of All Alternative Energy Investments | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board
It's not exactly hard as such, only cumbersome. Announce your interest to Bob CFO, receive a ~60 page doc, read both the coarse and finer print, fill it out, sign it before a Notarius Publicus, get a bank check and messenger the whole package to LPP, NJ. After a while you should receive a signed copy of the contract along with a paper stock document, as I understand it.

It's actually harder for US residents/citizens because they have to qualify to a certain wealth due to SEC rules. Us furriners fall by the wayside and can get in for cheap ;-D Uhh, that's USD 5,000 minimum at present.

NOTE: The stock is not negotiable now, and maybe never will be, so you really ought to be ready to kiss that money goodbye. You can only sell the shares to the Company, and only if they want to buy them back. (Loosely interpreted.) But you will be in on the first floor if/when the Company makes an IPO or other offering, maybe, down the time line. And if -- IF -- this thing turns out good -- oo-ooh, fire!

ALSO NOTE: Please do study the background material as well as the physics theory, for yourself. Just because I was duped doesn't mean it's any good in reality, right?

That said, Johan: Once I get my grubby hands on some cash and haul my be-hind to the bank to buy a certified check and to Not-Pub for a stamped signature on the contract and then off to DHL, I can die happy. (Not in a few weeks, though) (Touchwood)

--- Edit: And I'm Swedish.

Check out this thread: The Mother of All Alternative Energy Investments | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board
It's not exactly hard as such, only cumbersome. Announce your interest to Bob CFO, receive a ~60 page doc, read both the coarse and finer print, fill it out, sign it before a Notarius Publicus, get a bank check and messenger the whole package to LPP, NJ. After a while you should receive a signed copy of the contract along with a paper stock document, as I understand it.

It's actually harder for US residents/citizens because they have to qualify to a certain wealth due to SEC rules. Us furriners fall by the wayside and can get in for cheap ;-D Uhh, that's USD 5,000 minimum at present.

NOTE: The stock is not negotiable now, and maybe never will be, so you really ought to be ready to kiss that money goodbye. You can only sell the shares to the Company, and only if they want to buy them back. (Loosely interpreted.) But you will be in on the first floor if/when the Company makes an IPO or other offering, maybe, down the time line. And if -- IF -- this thing turns out good -- oo-ooh, fire!

ALSO NOTE: Please do study the background material as well as the physics theory, for yourself. Just because I was duped doesn't mean it's any good in reality, right?

That said, Johan: Once I get my grubby hands on some cash and haul my be-hind to the bank to buy a certified check and to Not-Pub for a stamped signature on the contract and then off to DHL, I can die happy. (Not in a few weeks, though) (Touchwood)

--- Edit: And I'm Swedish.

This is standard for the start ups and a good thing to point out to all considering this type of investment. While I am confident Johan knows this I just think it is good you pointed it out for others. Thanks Al

LPP investment questions/discussion

Well I purchased 50 shares. Either it will be worthless or be millions if they get ignition. I don't gamble because I hate the odds. This, however appears worth the risk because the potential reward would be hard to calculate but clearly rather stratospheric.

LPP investment questions/discussion

Eric Lerner of Focus Fusion - Page 2

Cross posting regarding investment in plasma focus fusion company Lawrenceville plasma physics.

Well I purchased 50 shares. Either it will be worthless or be millions if they get ignition. I don't gamble because I hate the odds. This, however appears worth the risk because the potential reward would be hard to calculate but clearly rather stratospheric.