Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog lamp wired into 2.5 's 12 volt wire buss?????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Did ya ever wonder what the knockout above the instrument panel dimmer switch is?
Well I removed the panel in the midst of my DRL project and got stopped dead in my tracks!
There is an unused three wire plug back there that has the tag "foglamp" on it!!
Does that suggest to you that there is another plug up front by the headlights that could take a set of LEDS and simply getting a compatable switch could allow one to install foglamps into the Roadster???

Anybody know anything about this?

Oh by the way is the scrunched up purples wire under the dash the antenna for the key fob?

HELP ..... My curiosity is making me crazy!!:confused:

You mean these foglights:

fog.jpg

[video=metacafe;1036402/tesla_roadster_abs_test_video/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1036402/tesla_roadster_abs_test_video/[/video]

Which appears the early Roadster testing at the Continental Proving Ground in Arvidsjaur, Sweden (traction control / abs testing) apparently was equipped with.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/slip-sliding-away

My 1.5 has no cutout or any place that's evident of where a foglight switch would be placed. Yours is a 2.x, so I've seen that cutout before and was curious. The TC/ABS testing appears to be a 1.5 in the links I put in above but it does show they did have some sort of intention to ship with foglights.

Last edited:
No foggy idea!

View attachment 42892View attachment 42892

Did ya ever wonder what the knockout above the instrument panel dimmer switch is?
Well I removed the panel in the midst of my DRL project and got stopped dead in my tracks!
There is an unused three wire plug back there that has the tag "foglamp" on it!!
Does that suggest to you that there is another plug up front by the headlights that could take a set of LEDS and simply getting a compatable switch could allow one to install foglamps into the Roadster???

Anybody know anything about this?

Oh by the way is the scrunched up purples wire under the dash the antenna for the key fob?

HELP ..... My curiosity is making me crazy!!:confused:

I have also wondered what option had been there in the past or was going to be offered as an option in the future. Congrats on actually taking the plate off to see what was back there! I have long thought we could use fog lights on the 2.5—now I see that at least someone at Tesla had similar thoughts.

David

Here is what I have in my 2.5 RHD Hong Kong roadster.

Fog light is at the rear, and is a statutory requirement provided with the car on delivery.

We only get 1 reversing light.

View attachment 42915
View attachment 42916

Thats pretty interesting, one reverse light? So the other reverse light is just disabled? And are you saying that that foglight button triggers the reverse light? Also it looks as if you're reverse light is red not white unless its just the pic. Also I see the red reflectors embedded in the rear diffuser. Looks like that's an overseas thing, don't see that in the states. Cool plate :)

Thats pretty interesting, one reverse light? So the other reverse light is just disabled? And are you saying that that foglight button triggers the reverse light? Also it looks as if you're reverse light is red not white unless its just the pic. Also I see the red reflectors embedded in the rear diffuser. Looks like that's an overseas thing, don't see that in the states. Cool plate :)

The small round red light on the right IS the fog light. It is brighter than the bigger round red normal nighttime lights on the inside.

I guess the two small outside lights on the rear of US roadsters are both white reversing lights, right?

In Hong Kong (and Europe, I believe) one light is a white reversing light (the nearside one on RHD cars) and the other is replaced by a red fog lamp controlled by that on-off toggle switch (the offside one on RHD cars).

The small round red light on the right IS the fog light. It is brighter than the bigger round red normal nighttime lights on the inside.

I guess the two small outside lights on the rear of US roadsters are both white reversing lights, right?

In Hong Kong (and Europe, I believe) one light is a white reversing light (the nearside one on RHD cars) and the other is replaced by a red fog lamp controlled by that on-off toggle switch (the offside one on RHD cars).

Makes sense now and thanks for clarifying that your left mini light is the reverse light and the right is the fog light. I believe Europe has that standard too where there needs to be a fog marker light. Some European cars like Audi have the ability to turn on one tail light for a fog light which I wish US would also adopt. Also wish the US would adopt the side marker lights like they have on the European Roadsters as well. Very functional and add the extra bit of safety when good drivers use their blinkers upon a lane change.

Yes, on the US roadsters both the outside mini tail lights are very bright reverse lights. Never had such a bright reverse illumination on a vehicle and really like it.

We also don't have those embedded reflectors on the rear diffuser, so that's a requirement in Europe and Hong Kong too?

So my guess is that the fog light tag on the electrical harness does not mean front fog lights but rather for rear fog light ability.

Its cost effective to have one wiring harness made and add / take away options. For example my 1.5 did not come with tweeters in the doors, however the doors are already wired and LIVE off the stereo so if I want to all I have to do is drop tweeters in my door and tie into the two leads of this harness. Menlo Park Tesla didn't even know if there was wiring in there for the tweeters, I knew that be the way that an auto manufacturer would go. No sense of having two different wiring harnesses, one for and one without tweeters. And my theory tested out to be true for the Roadster.

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense that the wiring harness would be wired for Europe, Asia and North America. Knowing that a certain number of Roadsters would go overseas after assembly a universal wiring buss would be way easier than possibly putting the wrong wires in an exported Roadster. I would like to see if the other end of the FogLamp wire is back on the passenger side rear.....although that wouldn't help with front lamps but might be interesting. Might look if it doesn't take major dissembly.

I wonder if the side marker light location is wired on North American cars?? Probably no easy way to find out..................... would be cool to have those especially if connected to the turn signals.......oh well.

I do like the embedded reflectors on the rear diffuser. Good safety feature.

I am intrigued by the rearrangement of the knobs on the switch panel. At first I thought that the pic was reversed but upon closer inspection ...... it's not!
What vin is your car, Markwj?:confused:

Ahhh, so I won't be going to Vegas this weekend then!

Mark, so does EV 915 have any meaning or is that how Hong Kong registers EVs?

License plates in Hong Kong are sequential. Alphabetic, then numeric. AA 0000 ... AA 9999 .. AB 0000 .. AB 9999 etc etc (ok, simplified, but you get the idea). Some years ago they started handing out EV xxxx plates, as part of the normal sequence.

There are two ways to get a 'custom' plate number in Hong Kong:

1] Find a car with the plate you want, and transfer it.
2] Bid at auction (a couple of times a year) for a plate you want.
3] Dream up whatever you want (GAS SUX, whatever), apply to the government to have it auctioned, and then go back to option [2].

For EV 915, I loved the prefix and liked the number. I found it on a site listing old abandoned plates and got it for around US$500. Not so easy now (EVs getting more popular), as the cheapest I can find today with EV prefix is US$5,000+! Bit of an issue, as we have a Model S on order for my wife and that is going to need a plate (but co-incidentally the plate on her current Nissan is MS8195, which kind of fits).

Well here is another unused plug up by the master cylinder and next to the brake fluid reservoir. Another Roadster mystery!!

......................any ideas??

I saw this also on jbadger's 2.0 and were curious as well. We thought it was something the prior owner did but appears to be like that from the factory. The 1.5's don't have this.

Last edited: