Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Rdio' music streaming service teams with Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I much prefer Rdio's app interfaces on iOS and Mac to Slacker

That won't matter:
During the event, Musk said that the Rdio integration will match the way the car’s dashboard system integrates with Slacker in the U.S., meaning that consumers will be able to play any song from Rdio’s catalog of 20 million or so with a simple voice command.

Wonder why Spotify snubbed them and if it was before Tesla started blowing up

I really want Tesla to open up their platform to third party services...no reason we can't have a variety of streaming services to choose from.

I know they have higher priorities, but still - they should hire some more developers to help unlock the true potential of this platform and create a create ecosystem!

Yes and no. I do not want to have to have virus checkers and scanners on my car.

Who said anything about virus checkers and scanners?

What I believe Tesla should strive for is a high quality, curated selection of apps and services that work with the in-car system. Definitely not a free-for-all market.

IIRC, Elon mentioned emulating Android apps which I don't think is the best idea. Even if performance is okay (it will have to be some kind of hypervisor, not ideal) I don't think the UX will be there at all. It's even worse than Blackberry's desperate attempt to make their devices to run Android apps.

Let devs write their apps specifically for Tesla's OS in HTML5/CSS3/JS or natively in C++/Qt, with clear guidelines on how they look and work.

The thing about using your phone to stream via bluetooth either with iTunes or Spotify, versus Slacker is that the Slacker radio shows the track time for the song and the remaining time right there on the dash, whereas, the phone streaming just tells you what's playing...

Let devs write their apps specifically for Tesla's OS in HTML5/CSS3/JS or natively in C++/Qt, with clear guidelines on how they look and work.

+1.

The iPhone didn't launch with an SDK due to lack of resources. Hearing Elon's last few talks in Europe, he is saying they are similarly constrained. Considering they aren't a software shop (and Apple is), I'm willing to cut them some slack.

I'd hate to see Android application emulation also. Emulation never works as well as native.

+1.

The iPhone didn't launch with an SDK due to lack of resources. Hearing Elon's last few talks in Europe, he is saying they are similarly constrained. Considering they aren't a software shop (and Apple is), I'm willing to cut them some slack.

I'd hate to see Android application emulation also. Emulation never works as well as native.

Completely agree. There are a good many things that are certainly higher on the priority list than this, and it should be so. I do hope that by the time the Model X rolls around that things are stable enough that they can start enhancing the in-car system with some "would be nice" features like this.

I've heard that the "entire" software team is < 30 people, but this may or may not be accurate (and I'm not sure exactly what team(s) this referred to). But it's safe to say that Tesla probably has a lot less software engineers than they do MEs/ISEs, etc.

100% agreed. I've been against shoehorning android apps onto the big screen since it was rumored. I think it'll be tacky and a mess of an experience. Luckily I think Tesla is too 'boutique' to let something like that happen though.

Uhmmm... Yup, it will. I don't plan on listening to Rdio exclusively from my car in the future. I will still want to use it on my iPhone and Mac.

Fair enough, I thought you were talking in-car.

Fair enough, I thought you were talking in-car.

I figured. :)

I hate trying to control iPhone music apps from my phone today while connected to my BMW. I can't imagine that will change in the future with my Tesla.

I personally don't know how anyone does it, but to each their own! I suppose getting the content you want with a compromised user experience is better than not getting it at all (but often, this can be unsafe if your phone isn't properly mounted somewhere within your field of vision).

I would LOVE Spotify or Rdio. I've been a Spotify subscriber since they launched in the US, but I'd switch to Rdio if I got access in the Model S.

Slacker is... not very good. I was all excited about Internet radio options when I bought the car, but the reality turned out to be a huge disappointment. Tune-In's decent, at least.

Theoretically, Rdio should be an easier implementation because it's web based. Spotify works on a distributed basis and requires an app on the computer. Rdio's album art, clean interface design would be a good match for the 17" interface and general Tesla design. Hopefully North American customers get the Rdio integration in v6.0. I'm itching to be able to listen to my Rdio playlists natively, instead of via Bluetooth, which limits the sound quality.

rdio implementation in europe is mediocre. two settings for audio quality, where the better setting cuts the music and starts buffering after a couple of songs. probably due to 3g limitations, also in good coverage areas.

Theoretically, Rdio should be an easier implementation because it's web based. Spotify works on a distributed basis and requires an app on the computer.

Not sure what you mean. Spotify used peer-to-peer in some countries where nearby servers were lacking when using the desktop app (and only the desktop app), but it was never the primary means of distribution. It has a web interface just like Rdio, and has always worked just fine client/server on mobile and from the web.

Not sure what you mean. Spotify used peer-to-peer in some countries where nearby servers were lacking when using the desktop app (and only the desktop app), but it was never the primary means of distribution. It has a web interface just like Rdio, and has always worked just fine client/server on mobile and from the web.
I think you're right that they've moved away from their P2P roots. Hopefully since Rdio is already providing service to European Tesla drivers, doing a US integration with a decent interface should be fairly straightforward for the.