Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh to Glen Allen or bust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has tried to make the trip from (Northwest) Raleigh to the Glen Allen supercharger, assuming you leave Raleigh with 100% charge? This is the first leg of a trip I would make frequently up/down I95. I'd like to do it directly & bypass stopping at Rocky Mount if possible.

I imagine there's some public Level II charging in between in a bind, but I'm trying to minimize our time on the road (as well as maximize the spouse approval factor) by sticking to 30-ish minute leg stretch stops if possible.

It should be quite do-able, no? about 170 miles. Granted, I haven't gotten my car yet, but that should be pretty achievable, assuming you have an 85.
Curious if anyone has tried to make the trip from (Northwest) Raleigh to the Glen Allen supercharger, assuming you leave Raleigh with 100% charge? This is the first leg of a trip I would make frequently up/down I95. I'd like to do it directly & bypass stopping at Rocky Mount if possible.

I imagine there's some public Level II charging in between in a bind, but I'm trying to minimize our time on the road (as well as maximize the spouse approval factor) by sticking to 30-ish minute leg stretch stops if possible.

I did Burlington to Glen Allen with less than a 100% charge in an P85 in 40-50 degree temps. I did it with a 100% charge driving about 8mph over the speed limit easily with plenty of range left. Anything less than 200 miles is easy on a 100% charge in a 85.

That's about the same distance as Savannah to St. Augustine superchargers and I didn't even have to range charge to do that. I think left Savannah with 230 miles rated and got to St. Augustine with 20-something left. Granted the weather was warmer down there, but I was also doing 75 - 80 the whole way.

I think a straight shot shouldn't be a problem but if you're planning a short stop anyway, might as well pick up some charge right? Even 20 minutes at the supercharger gives a big boost and I like the idea of supporting the businesses located near the supercharger to reinforce the concept that EV infrastructure is good for business.

I sorta did the opposite, from the Richmond hotel that has the 70-amp charger, to Raleigh. Slightly shorter distance, and I was pretty low on electrons by the time I got there, but I did not charge to 100%. So I'd think you'd be fine with a 100% charge. (I presume you have an 85, the way you're talking, BTW.)

That said, you could stop under 30 minutes at Rocky Mount and get a nice boost. There's not a lot of public charging of any level, between Richmond and Raleigh, so don't bank on that (but as always, plan your route). But with 100% charge, you should be fine.