Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hires Hacker Kristin Paget

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the concern is the embedded linux or the car systems modules (or both). I know very little on the linux side but ECU reversing and what major OEMs have done to stop tuning is a hobby of mine.

BMW have introduced RSA based tester authentication routines prior to a test tool even starting a conversation with their ECUs. MB and BMW have moved to RipeMD160 hashes of updated code embedded in RSA encrypted messages. If the new code does not match the RSA encrypted hash, the code does not run. So far there have been ways found to get around this but it is getting MUCH harder. I'd be curious to see what Tesla has done and how they've implemented their solutions/protections.

BMW have introduced RSA based tester authentication routines prior to a test tool even starting a conversation with their ECUs. MB and BMW have moved to RipeMD160 hashes of updated code embedded in RSA encrypted messages.

In a mirror, I can see my lips moving, but I have not the foggiest notion of what they're saying. :(

In a mirror, I can see my lips moving, but I have not the foggiest notion of what they're saying. :(

I think lola is referring to BMW trying to prevent MITM attacks/alterations on their systems. Basically the same thing that was in the news a lot regarding the NSA intercepting web based SSL encrypted traffic by forging authentic certificates.

If I were Tesla, I would also consider hiring the iPhone dev team or evad3rs, both of which are behind many of the jailbreaks. If anyone can break into a secured, locked down OS it would be them. On the other hand, I think I'd be great if they can get us access into the Linux console in the car.

Perhaps, I think they would want to pickup folks used to beating on Linux, not iOS. I would be less concerned with MITM (man-in-the-middle) attacks from devices with physical access and more concerned with attacks via the internet connection, either directly or via the Telsa servers.

The upside is if they feel they have hardened the OS enough, I can see them maybe opening up the APIs via an SDK or at least opening up an app store of some sort.

O