Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Feature: Headliner Squeaky Toy!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
So, the Ranger is out in my office parking lot fixing this now, so I feel OK posting about it. But I've had what I called a "rattle" that has been very hard to locate...as driver I heard it on the passenger side, my front seat passenger heard it toward the center of the dash. Had the Ranger look for it, padded a wire in the door several months ago, but it never went away and, actually, got worse. It was particularly noticeable in colder weather. Finally, one day it was more squeaky and loud enough that I started checking around and when I touched the headliner it stopped making noise! It would stay that way for a while (as if there was adhesive that would hold it for a bit until it finally wasn't strong enough to keep holding it). The past week or two it has been pretty constant over any sort of slightly rough road and I finally decided I couldn't wait for my next service visit.

As usual, the SC in St.Louis was super prompt, returned my early morning email within an hour and scheduled the ranger to come down the next day, today, within 2 hours of the email.

Here's a video of just how bad it is:
Squeaky roof liner in Tesla - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure it is annoying for you, but I couldn't help laughing. If you had a cat, or dog, or toddler in your car you could have a lot of fun with them. Of course if you did, your car would probably be a mess.

Let us know how the repair goes.

So, the Ranger is out in my office parking lot fixing this now, so I feel OK posting about it. But I've had what I called a "rattle" that has been very hard to locate...as driver I heard it on the passenger side, my front seat passenger heard it toward the center of the dash. Had the Ranger look for it, padded a wire in the door several months ago, but it never went away and, actually, got worse. It was particularly noticeable in colder weather. Finally, one day it was more squeaky and loud enough that I started checking around and when I touched the headliner it stopped making noise! It would stay that way for a while (as if there was adhesive that would hold it for a bit until it finally wasn't strong enough to keep holding it). The past week or two it has been pretty constant over any sort of slightly rough road and I finally decided I couldn't wait for my next service visit.

As usual, the SC in St.Louis was super prompt, returned my early morning email within an hour and scheduled the ranger to come down the next day, today, within 2 hours of the email.

Here's a video of just how bad it is:
Squeaky roof liner in Tesla - YouTube

This is not FAIR! I paid early adopter prices and my signature was supposed to come with EVERYTHING, and I did not get a squeaky toy headliner. I am P***** (does not rhyme with fire). Tesla owes me. If I had known now that I was getting less for my dollar, it would be a deal breaker.

I'm telling Mom.

(I hope Tesla reads this and gets back to me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Repair went great, he ran to the local Michael's store and bought some sort of felt tape. There is some styrofoam above the head liner that was rubbing against the medal reinforcing rib making the squeak. He simply placed the felt tape b/w the styrofoam and the metal. No more squeak!

As a bonus he pushed firmware version 5.8.7. As usual, awesome and prompt service.

This is not FAIR! I paid early adopter prices and my signature was supposed to come with EVERYTHING, and I did not get a squeaky toy headliner. I am P***** (does not rhyme with fire). Tesla owes me. If I had known now that I was getting less for my dollar, it would be a deal breaker.

I'm telling Mom.

(I hope Tesla reads this and gets back to me.)
As Tesla's self-appointed arbiter of petty complaints I have a word of advice: Quitcherbitchin. :biggrin: However, I will add your complaint to the bottom of our list. It appears right after the request for vanity lights, heated steering wheels, and well below auto-lowering, faster charging, and improved tire wear. All of these issues are very important to us and it is anticipated that version 6 of the upcoming software will address each and every one of these issues. The new software is expected late Fall of 2013 and therefore will be available to you by mid-summer 2014. :wink: