Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Solar folks in GA willing to answer some questions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
​If you have a solar system in Georgia, I'd love to pick your brain... I don't think we could sell back to the grid before, but the laws recently changed didn't they? How "good" are the state/federal tax and powerCo incentives? I'm on GA Power. Also, I'm interested in a system that is modular but also easy to break down and possibly move to a different location (another house in the future)... Looking to know how feasible that is.

Lastly, looking to learn about the difficulty in going 100% solar running entirely off the grid (with the grid still attached of course)

My system does not generate enough power on a monthly basis to have created an excess amount of energy except in March or April while the leaves are few, and air conditioning and heating use are minimal. Early on when my solar array was smaller and I had a mechanical meter, the meter would simply go backwards thus crediting me for any momentary excesses. The newer smart meters which were installed maybe 5 years ago in my area allowed for electronic calculation of excess energy, but the EMC started charging me an extra $5 per month for their net metering service.

Anyways, in the months of March/April Cobb EMC has credited me upwards of 6 cents per kWh. Georgia Power has some solar specific rate structures and I believe one of them actually credits you for all the solar energy you create, not just the excess. You then pay the normal rates for all of your energy use. I guess they then subtract your normal use from the credits you get for your energy creation to come out with a net bill. I believe the only downside to this program is that your kWh solar energy credit is locked in at a fixed rate for 5 years.

One big thing to keep in mind when buying solar in Georgia is that there is a 30% State tax credit available for installing solar energy which is over and above the Federal credit, but you have to specially apply for it and get approval. The State funds are limited and subject to change annually. I am not sure you can count on that State credit actually being available and even if it is, you might find it is years before you can use it. I applied for a 2011 credit and got a letter back saying I was on a waiting list. I figured it was a lost cause, but a few weeks ago I got a letter which did not seem very official stating that I could take the credit for my 2014 tax return. So I still have another year to wait until I get that money.

You can contact some solar installers for more info.

My system does not generate enough power on a monthly basis to have created an excess amount of energy except in March or April while the leaves are few, and air conditioning and heating use are minimal. Early on when my solar array was smaller and I had a mechanical meter, the meter would simply go backwards thus crediting me for any momentary excesses. The newer smart meters which were installed maybe 5 years ago in my area allowed for electronic calculation of excess energy, but the EMC started charging me an extra $5 per month for their net metering service.

Anyways, in the months of March/April Cobb EMC has credited me upwards of 6 cents per kWh. Georgia Power has some solar specific rate structures and I believe one of them actually credits you for all the solar energy you create, not just the excess. You then pay the normal rates for all of your energy use. I guess they then subtract your normal use from the credits you get for your energy creation to come out with a net bill. I believe the only downside to this program is that your kWh solar energy credit is locked in at a fixed rate for 5 years.

One big thing to keep in mind when buying solar in Georgia is that there is a 30% State tax credit available for installing solar energy which is over and above the Federal credit, but you have to specially apply for it and get approval. The State funds are limited and subject to change annually. I am not sure you can count on that State credit actually being available and even if it is, you might find it is years before you can use it. I applied for a 2011 credit and got a letter back saying I was on a waiting list. I figured it was a lost cause, but a few weeks ago I got a letter which did not seem very official stating that I could take the credit for my 2014 tax return. So I still have another year to wait until I get that money.

You can contact some solar installers for more info.
Thanks for the info - I'm definitely going to have to do more research.... didn't think it was that complicated, but not the least bit surprised either.