Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MC240 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to buy a 240v Mobile Charger if this exists. Tesla says it's on 8-12 weeks backorder.

Did they supply this as an option on the existing roadsters? Has anyone seen used MC240s for sale?

I will pay good money for one. Please let me know.

I had ordered the MC240 charger with my car, having backed down to that to save money after the infamous price increase.

They stopped shipping them due to some sort of problem, and now there is a very long back order. So I went ahead and bought the HPC anyway, which was delivered in about a week.

So now I have the slow charger, and the fast charger, but not the half-fast charger.:biggrin:

No, they said they were hoping to resolve the problem and resume shipments in about 8 weeks. (That was 2 weeks ago, so 6 to go now). Then they would start filling back orders and it would take some unknown amount of additional time before they got to mine.

I'm trying to arrange an electrician to wiring in the HPC properly. Temporarily I've wired the HPC to a 14-50 plug and plugged it in where the MC240 was supposed to go. I limited the car charging current to 24 Amps.

Just don't tell the NEC police!

I guess, in theory, this might be useful in some situations:
Camco Power Grip Maximizer RV 50-amp Generator Adapter : JC Whitney: RV Parts & Accessories
G_27855G_SW_1.jpg

• If you've got a 50-amp RV, you need a Power Grip™ Maximizer Adapter!
  • 50-amp Generator Adapter adapts a standard 30-amp and 15-amp plug for 45-amp service
Don't go without just because you're a 50-amp RV in a 30-amp campground! Camco's Power Grip™ Maximizer RV 50-amp Generator Adapter let's you enjoy all your electronics regardless of the campground. A simple and inexpensive solution to a big problem.

Can you elaborate? What happens?

The one pin of the plug will be live due to the 120 volts feeding through the appliance from the other still connected plug.

Update:

This would be the case with the simple adapter plug but would not be the case with the Quick220 box shown above in VFX's post. This device has a built in safety disconnect if either plug is disconnected. The bigger issue is that this type of device will not work with GFI protected circuits which rules out using any current code compliant garage outlets.

Last edited:
Last I heard was that the official MC240s were back in production and so you shouldn't have to resort to a DIY.

Yes, by all accounts the Tesla end is the hard part for DIY. The only real option when MC240s are not available is to buy and modify an MC120, but it is still $600, and it is apparently a real PITA to mod them for higher current.

Note the "Coming July 2009" here:
http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RF40AMP

If MC240 is unavailable, too expensive or you want something more flexible then the Martin designed kit my be a good alternative. *But*, EVComponents still has to figure out how to build them, and the supply of Tesla ends could be a limiting factor. Also, that kit doesn't include GFCI which is a good thing if you don't like false triggers, but a bad thing if you think GFCI is a mandatory safety aid.

MC240 uses NEMA14-50...

Some EV related comments about NEMA14-50 here:
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif, Helvetica]II A. The NEC has absolutely no direct jurisdiction over portable
chargers or on-board chargers. Please read carefully and understand
Article 90-2 Scope. Utilization equipment (appliances - including
portable chargers, toasters, TV's, and EVs) are normally regulated by
product standards developed by UL, ANSI, and other standards
development organizations. UL standards do, of course, consider the
NEC requirements in developing product standards.

> B. SPECIFIC REQUEST: We are requesting that hobbyists EV operators
>and electric vehicle OEMs be allowed to continue to use NEMA 14-50
>connectors with GFCI for Level II charging at 240 volts for both private
>and public power supply stations. While the current version of Article
>625 does permit the use of portable cord-and-plug-connected electric
>vehicle supply equipment at 125 volts, these low power charging systems
>drastically extend the time required for recharging an EV, and curtail
>it use. Many existing EVs are only equipped for charging from 240
>volts.

II B. The NEMA 14-50 R/P configuration even when used with a
conventional GFCl circuit breaker has several inherent design features
and corresponding conditions of use that make it unsuitable for use
with EV's. For private use as a general purpose power outlet, the
requirements of Article 410 would apply. For public charging this
configuration is inappropriate. The RV industry, in my opinion, erred
in selecting this configuration for RV parks.

First of all, the NEMAl4-50 R/P configuration was originally developed
for electric ranges installed in "dry" locations. As such, when a
consumer purchases a new range from an appliance store, the
delivery/installers are instructed to turn off the range circuit
at the service panel, remove the plug and old range, plug in the new
range and push it against the wall and turn the circuit breaker in the
service panel back on. Typically, the range stays there until the
owner moves or it is replaced with a new one. In which case the
circuit breaker should be turned off before removing the range. Under
these conditions of use, the NEMA 14- 50 R/P is acceptable if this
procedure is followed.

Second, the "conditions of use" for this product require that " the
circuit breaker or disconnecting means be turned off before inserting
or removing plug". Thus the requirements of 551 - 77(b).

Third, failure to read (if the label is legible or present) and follow
the directions could result in "direct" contact with "live" parts.
Thus the requirements of Article 551-77(f). In my opinion, relying on
labels to avoid or mitigate serious shock hazards is poor safety
policy at best.

Fourth, the configuration has no inherent protection against
liquids(water) and for general use( Article 410 such as a private
garage) or special use (Article 551 RV parks, for example) the
receptacle must be in a weatherproof enclosure (ref. Article 410-57
and Art 551-78).

Fifth, this configuration was not designed for frequent use and must
only be capable of 250 mating/de-mating cycles.

Sixth, if the instructions above are not followed this configuration
has a serious design flaw, referred to as an intermittent neutral,
that has resulted in extensive electrical equipment damage in RV's and
potentially hazardous conditions. If the plug is tipped(which is
typical in right angle configurations) during removable the neutral
terminal can open prior to the phase and ground terminals opening. The
effect is to possibly expose low(120) voltage equipment, such as TV's
microwaves, GFCl receptacles, etc., to high(240) voltage resulting in
damage to the equipment which could in turn result in a potentially hazardous condition.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif, Helvetica]...
[/FONT]

Nice find TEG. The number list contains a ot of things that are obvious about the plugs design and added a few new things.

The strange thing is after all this time there is no common-practice "safe" high voltage connector for the General Public. I am aware there are thousands of standards and that the GP is around industrial high power connectors at trades shows, traveling carnivals, events, and movies shoots but they do not interact with them and the operators who do have an apprenticeship to learn how to correctly use them. Some even has certification and Union testing they have to pass.

For all those reasons listed in TEG's link and the difficulty creating new standards, I would not be surprised if the (11 year in the making) J1772 sort of just becomes the new general public high power standard connector used for RVs, Portable Solar Arrays, Generators, ATVs, Lawnmowers and Tractors and all the new things that were formerly gasoline powered but now need quick charging.

Avcon and Magnas are gone but maybe some of these large voltage, high current Nema standards will fall as well.

We will know that the tide has changed when RV parks switch over, and companies making portable generators start to include them. Public EV charge spots will be the "easy" part, but RV parks are slow to change.